collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: I think someone just tried to make me 'justify' why I collect  (Read 2751 times)

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
Re: I think someone just tried to make me 'justify' why I collect
« Reply #30 on: September 07, 2015, 07:30:18 AM »
Mm, my best friend has a my child doll and categorically does not want a baby having fostered her niece to adulthood through family issues. I wasn't talking about adult collectors of such toys, but how the market is aiming those ideas and toys at young girls enforcibg expected gender roles.

Kids and adults can buy and collect what they like to me, but I think there are too many gender role stereotyped toys on shelves and it is not improving even as social attitudes allegedly are becoming more liberal.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Sapphire-Light

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
    • http://sapphire-light.deviantart.com/
« Reply #31 on: September 07, 2015, 08:57:56 AM »
When people say to me things like being childish and inmature about my hobbies, I tell them that a real mature thing is to admit to like something and don't feel intimidate to hear what other people say or critcize about you   :P

Lol when I say this to people they don't repply me back  :lol:

Offline Al-1701

• Trade Count: (0)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Wind Whistler and Fizzy best ponies ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 07, 2015, 09:11:19 AM »
Wasn't it C.S. Lewis who said "I had to put away my childish things, like believing things are childish and I have to act like a grown-up"?

I think pony might be ridiculed because they are fantasy.  They're not just ponies, they're intelligent ponies who can talk, think, and have adventures in world where you talk about the weather with the weather among other things.  Science fiction and fantasy geared towards girls in general is treated like it's something that has to be grown out of.
I spent five years learning Atmospheric Science on the university level.  I come out of it with the ultimate knowledge of the universe.  √10 * π ≈ 10.

Offline frizzycat

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • Plastic Candy
« Reply #33 on: September 07, 2015, 09:19:18 AM »
Yup. One of my favourite quotes.

"“Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.”

I haven't yet run into people who've said bad things about my toy collections. The strongest reaction I had was probably from an older friend who said 'Holy *bleep*' when she saw my collection. Then for my birthday she got me some more things to add to it. :)

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #34 on: September 07, 2015, 09:23:43 AM »
Lets not forget the fact that half the toys young girls have involve simulation around being mother to a baby who cries or needs nappies changed, cooking, cleaning, cribs and such other stereotypical nonsense.

When I was a kid it was all about playing mummies and daddies and even now you see young girls pushing dolls in pushchairs or prams. Ponies defy that stereotype for the most part as they can have families but are not your species (despite Hasbro's attempts with my little pony Mummy, it is more normal to see a young girl carrying a pony by its tail or hugging a plush one round the neck than in a pushchair or pram).

The "My Little Pony mommy" commercials always irritated me as a kid because in NO sense did I consider myself the ponies' "mommy".  The ponies had friendships and relationships with each other (and other toys), not with me.  I was the writer, they were the story.

I hated baby dolls as a kid.  Why would I want a toy that fake-pees on me??  These days they have baby dolls that poop and get diaper rash.  Really?  Just . . . really?  What's next, a baby doll that gets colic and cries all night and no matter what you do it won't stop?

I definitely agree that women are expected to be the responsible ones who put their childish things away, while it's more acceptable for men to continue collecting male-oriented toys.  I think in general women are made to feel selfish and greedy if they buy something for themself rather than attending to someone else's needs.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Al-1701

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 07, 2015, 09:28:42 AM »
My Grandma bought an entire collection of Ninja Turtles when they came out.  She lined a room in her house with them.  And she was in her mid 50's at the time.  On of my cousins ended up with the collection when she died, but she showed no shame buying them or having them.

And oh the "My Little Pony Mommy" ads.  Why?  Why do those exist?
I spent five years learning Atmospheric Science on the university level.  I come out of it with the ultimate knowledge of the universe.  √10 * π ≈ 10.

Offline Strawberry Swirl

• Trade Count: (+40)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • #1 Rainbow Dash Kinnie
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 07, 2015, 09:33:30 AM »
The "My Little Pony mommy" commercials always irritated me as a kid because in NO sense did I consider myself the ponies' "mommy".  The ponies had friendships and relationships with each other (and other toys), not with me.  I was the writer, they were the story.

Yeah honestly? I don't know anybody who considers their ponies to be their children. Also, where does the term "my little pony mommy" leave a small non binary kid like me, or male fans? Just on the edge, watching over everybody else? LOL

I hated baby dolls as a kid.  Why would I want a toy that fake-pees on me??  These days they have baby dolls that poop and get diaper rash.  Really?  Just . . . really?  What's next, a baby doll that gets colic and cries all night and no matter what you do it won't stop?

I don't get this either. I mean...the fascination with toys that go to the bathroom is gross at best.
That's why the Drink n' Wet baby ponies creep me out. (I call 'em the omorashi babies lol but that's probably inappropriate.) It's gross.

I definitely agree that women are expected to be the responsible ones who put their childish things away, while it's more acceptable for men to continue collecting male-oriented toys.  I think in general women are made to feel selfish and greedy if they buy something for themself rather than attending to someone else's needs.

Oh, and this too. Women? Buying and keeping things that make them happy?
If we let 'em do that, they might begin to think they're people with individual interests and goals rather than
maids with no pay!!

WishlistChecklistSalesPonysonaCommissions

Offline Al-1701

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 07, 2015, 09:44:36 AM »
Well.  I don't think they could have gotten away with "I'm a My Little Pony God."

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #38 on: September 07, 2015, 11:48:10 AM »
From the one surviving ad I know of from the UK at that time, the UK did not use it. The jingle, yes, the words, no. (Party Pony ad, 1987-8). The soundclip is on my page on the 1987 taf page I think.

I do remember collect them all and step into the world of ponyland or some such...

Drink and Wet babies encourage wetting oneself, which is hardly good! I love how the comic always found another way to get the panties wet that did not involve baby pony accidents.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2015, 11:50:16 AM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline PinkiePosh

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Target Exclusive Winter Pony
  • previously pinkiepony
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Marketplace Store
« Reply #39 on: September 07, 2015, 11:55:40 AM »
When people say to me things like being childish and inmature about my hobbies, I tell them that a real mature thing is to admit to like something and don't feel intimidate to hear what other people say or critcize about you   :P

Lol when I say this to people they don't repply me back  :lol:

What a good response!

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
Re: I think someone just tried to make me \'justify\' why I collect
« Reply #40 on: September 07, 2015, 12:56:53 PM »
Does anyone have people in their family that actually pressures you to sell your ponies, or lectures you about it? I find this just as annoying as having to justify collecting.

I have a sibling who says my pony collecting 'makes me completely unrelatable to normal people'. Another sibling, when visiting my apartment, said ponies are for children... then just went and took my only MIB G1 out of its display case and almost succeeded in giving it to her child to open.

Unfortunately, there will always be nasty, superficial people around to belittle you and the things you love. I mention ponies if it's relevant, and have never hidden my interest. I believe that people should be kind to others, and that people should do what makes them happy. This is how I treat others, and if they in turn are rude, they aren't worth the time. But I know this is easier said than done... unfair comments can really sting, and letting go isn't always an easy thing to do  :blush:

Seriously? I would have chewed her out.  :angry:

Post Merge: September 07, 2015, 01:00:24 PM

My Grandma bought an entire collection of Ninja Turtles when they came out.  She lined a room in her house with them.  And she was in her mid 50's at the time.  On of my cousins ended up with the collection when she died, but she showed no shame buying them or having them.

And oh the "My Little Pony Mommy" ads.  Why?  Why do those exist?

That's so cool :biggrin:
« Last Edit: September 07, 2015, 01:02:27 PM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Strawberry Swirl

• #1 Rainbow Dash Kinnie
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 07, 2015, 01:08:34 PM »
Well.  I don't think they could have gotten away with "I'm a My Little Pony God."

Says who? I AM a my little pony god!  :silly: :silly:

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 07, 2015, 01:10:07 PM »
I honestly think this is a case of dont feed a troll. The internet is full of people with too much time on their hands and who with the anonimity of a keyboard seem to take joy and delight in simply being mean.

I am open about collecting to those I know and to people in real life...I am open about collecting on forums where I know there are like minded people. For my own sanity, I dont engage about things like collecting in locations where I dont know the type of other member. Unfortunately, no matter the subject, no matter your comment, someone would have had something negative to say. Best just to move on and ignore it :) You dont have to explain or justify yourself to anyone.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline Strawberry Swirl

• #1 Rainbow Dash Kinnie
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 07, 2015, 01:14:00 PM »
Another sibling, when visiting my apartment, said ponies are for children... then just went and took my only MIB G1 out of its display case and almost succeeded in giving it to her child to open.

In all honesty though, I think you should ask for reimbursement. G1 MIB ponies aren't cheap.
She should seriously pay you back.

Offline Al-1701

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 07, 2015, 01:36:27 PM »

Says who? I AM a my little pony god!  :silly: :silly:
All hail Sapphire Rain!
In all honesty though, I think you should ask for reimbursement. G1 MIB ponies aren't cheap.
She should seriously pay you back.
I think she meant she was able to prevent the opening.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal