collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Anyone Else Finding Themselves Buying Alot More G4's Than Other Generations?  (Read 5118 times)

Offline OctoberFlash

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • I like to eat things and brush ponies!
    • View Profile
G4 was actually what got me into collecting, but I find myself buying G3s more than anything simply because they are my favorite generation. :lovey:

And, of course, I find it more fun to go pony hunting than to just find ponies at the store, too ^^

But I have plenty of G4s, just not as many as I do other generations, G3 in particular. :3
Click here for my wishlist!

Every puzzle has an answer :)

Offline ShortyBoo

• Trade Count: (+212)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
When I was a kid, I had around 100 or so G1s. They're pretty much all I'd get for Birthdays, Christmas and even in my Easter basket. But once my ponies were burned in a fire by my dad in '91, I couldn't bring myself to collect again for years. So I missed the G2s and the G3s totally and by the time I started collecting again, there were only the G3.5s which I didn't like. I managed to start a small G1 and G3 collection before the G4s came out and now I have more G4s than the combined number of G1, G2 and G3s I own. And this is without buying all the playsets (I did buy the carousel to get Sweetie Swirl, though) and mostly without buying duplicates of any characters. The only ones I have multiples of are Fluttershy (she's my favorite so I have the Shine Bright and both the light and dark haired versions) and Rainbow Dash because I liked the Glimmer Wing version of her and already had the regular version. The only pony stuff I don't buy are re-releases of characters I already have, the big baby doll versions of the ponies, the big playsets and the talking Celestia, Cadence, etc. It's still quite expensive, though.

Offline Mandy85

• Trade Count: (+61)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
I currently own more G1's, but G4 is the only generation I'm still actively collecting and I'm personally enjoying it more than the G3's or G3'5's (both of which I liked but wasn't necessarily crazy about). I haven't purchased many G4's though, just a few here and there that catch my fancy.

As cute as I think they are, I only wish they came in more of an assortment of poses and/or eye combinations (all of the unicorns have the same expression), they're starting to feel a bit rehashed. The upcoming TRU exclusive pack looks promising though, I've been wanting a proper Zecora and Nightmare Moon for a while now. :)

I have also finally jumped on the blind bag wagon where I was sort of indifferent to them prior. I got my first one last weekend while on vacation and now I'm hooked. I'm only hoping they give Fluttershy a proper mold eventually now that they seem to be incorporating unique molds for more peripheral characters.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 02:22:15 PM by Mandy85 »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Gypsy_Nights

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • Absolute Night Owl!
    • View Profile
Wow!  I'm surprised at how many people don't really buy G4's to much.  However, I do understand why people don't like them as much as the other generations.  They are not my favorite gen either.  G1's are still my favorite and G3's run in a very, VERY close 2nd.  Then G4 and I didn't like G2 or G3.5 at all.  I only have like 5 G2 and maybe 10 G3.5.

When G4 first came out I wasn't sure I liked them at all.  Since they were so different.  But they grew on me and the FiM show was what really made me like them more.  After watching that I understud where they were getting the new style for the new MLPs from.

I actually dont think I buy as many as I thought I would. I am of course a G1 girl and I really am enjoying the G4 line but I honestly only tend to pick up my favourites or the individual ponies I like...so I guess for me its a no!

But I do understand how people could find themselves buying more than planned - they are rather cute!

It makes it easier when they're in the store! :) Imagine what it would be like if we could still buy G1's in stores...takes a trip down the Greek isle.

:lol:   Yeah really!  Even though I've been buying tons of G4s lately they are not my favorite gen.  I love G1 the most.  I would clean the stores out if G1's were in the stores.  I only had about 15 G1's when I was growing up.  My mother wouldn't buy me any more after I could fill my MLP carrying case full with 15 of them.  So all my G1 collecting happened over the last 9 years, when I could buy them myself.  And now I've collected just about all the G1's I've wanted.  There are only around 10 or 20 that I would still like to add to my collection.  And same goes for G3.  So my G1, and G3 collecting has slowed way down.

Post Merge: June 04, 2012, 04:32:45 PM

For me it is the opposite.   I've bought a lot less G4 ponies than the other generations.   I like them OK, but I think my pony buying days in general are going down.   I'm over 30 now, and I guess I don't feel the need for new ponies as much anymore.  heh!

But, I will always treasure my childhood ponies.   I just think that new additions for me are going to get less and less now.

Yeah, I'm 29 and I keep thinking that my love for MLP collecting is going to go south and that one day I'm going to want to sell most of them, thinking it's childish.  But Nope!  Hasn't happened in the slightest!  If anything since the G4's have come out, I have wanted to collect even more.

Post Merge: June 04, 2012, 04:44:12 PM

Actually I find myself buying a lot less of them!  I just don’t feel like the toys are very good quality compared to other pony generations.  I mean, the plastic “seams” on their legs . . . and the head/body mismatches . . . and so many of the same pose.

I feel like this toyline would be a flop without the fantastic show to propel it along, but maybe it’s just me.

I think you are right.  I wasn't sure I liked the G4's at all at first until I saw the show.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 04:44:12 PM by Gypsy_Nights »
~~~Me and My FiM Family~~~

My Sales Thread     My deviantART Page

Offline StarDragon

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • I'm a My Little Pony mommy...
    • View Profile
I do buy the G4s... but there are a lot fewer of them than G3s. I miss the days when I could go to a store and it would be a surprise to see which G3s there would be, since there were so many different pretty colors to choose from! It was quite a fun adventure.

Offline Gypsy_Nights

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • Absolute Night Owl!
    • View Profile
I haven't been buying G4 because they're so expensive!  :huh: Maybe it's just me but they seem to have too many overpriced "sets" instead of single ponies. I mean, I would like to have a Luna for example, but she always comes with Celestia.

Yes I know what you mean.  I have been irritated with the sets prices as well.  Sets that would have been sold for $10 or less are now $13-$17!   :mad:   But that's inflation for you, I guess.  I was really upset when I had to pay $17 for fashion style Twilight Sparkle and Fluttershy at Target.  I waited to long to buy Fluttershy. (Should have bought her while she was still at Walmart.)  And recently saw Twilight Sparkle at TRU for the regular $13 but it was to late I had already bought her from target and opened her.
~~~Me and My FiM Family~~~

My Sales Thread     My deviantART Page

Offline Yurusumaji

• Repo!Pony
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Yield for nothing.
    • View Profile
    • My Figure Collection
I initially started buying G4 because of FiM and availability. Once I got online and decided I wanted to collect seriously, I started going G3 crazy. So, as of right now, I'm buying more G3.

As others have said, Target is overpricing the G4s. I don't have a TRU in town and my Wal-Mart is usually low on any stock. This gives less incentive to buy G4 at stores than to get G3 ponies at $3-5 online and pay shipping. Plus, I like the way the G3s look more than the G4s. Them foreheads. LOL.

Ai from Aurora
AC Wants | Furniture Catalog | Clothing Catalog

Offline Sugar

• Norwegian Fnord Pony
  • Trade Count: (+81)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Sock/earring fiend
    • View Profile
I would... but they're so darn hard to come by 'round here.  It seems that every time I go to TRU or WM, which are about the only purveyors of pony nearby, they have the same ones: Fluttershy (already gots), some of the teensy blindbag-sized ones on individual cards - but only ever Twilight Sparkle, Pinkie Pie, and Rarity (gots, gots, and gots), and that so-softy baby Spike (erm, no thx).  No real blindbags, no fashion styles, no nothin'.  Meh.  I miss the good ol' days when ponies were kinda everywhere, from the corner chemist to the variety stores and all those independent toystores... *wistful sigh* Oh, eighties, apart from the teased-out-to-where hair and those funky neon colours, I miss you so!

But I remain hopeful.  The Sears Christmas wishbook should be hitting my doorstep in, oh, two months or so (they are always so early!) so maybe... just maybe...

Thanks to Sourdough stomper for my Advent signature, and to Nence for my avatar! :lovey:
Wishlist - I'm back on (semi-) active buying again... can't buy everything on my wish list all at once (yay, back-to-school and tuition fees), but I am still looking to plump up my collection a bit more: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,380638.0.html
Sales/trades - http://mlparena.com/index.php?topic=381378.msg1572410#msg1572410

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
I really want to buy them all the time, but they have really pushed my pony numbers up... and I don't want to go above 40. (really I didn't want more than 20) So it's a struggle, and I've had to be really picky about it. And blind bags don't help...
and I might be doomed this fall, with all the cool stuff that is coming up.

;O; I wish I didn't love them so much, lol.

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline Heliodor

• Sorcerer Prince
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
I find it is the opposite for me too like some others said. I don't even have a brushable G4. G3 kinda grew on me, but G1 is still my favourite gen. However, I really liked the new glittery-sheen Target exclusive Fluttershy that got leaked. I'd buy those. I'm a sucker for the pearly/glittery base.

Offline Koudoawaia

• Storm Dragon
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Dragon with the heart of a guinea pig
    • View Profile
    • FA Gallery
I definitely have more G4s but the G3s may catch up to them.^^

Many thanks to FairieFalls for my sig image and many thanks to Shaiyeh for my avatar :art:

Offline wystearya

• Trade Count: (+67)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Actually I find myself buying a lot less of them!  I just don’t feel like the toys are very good quality compared to other pony generations.  I mean, the plastic “seams” on their legs . . . and the head/body mismatches . . . and so many of the same pose.

I feel like this toyline would be a flop without the fantastic show to propel it along, but maybe it’s just me.

I do love the blind bag toys, though.  <3

Gonna have to agree with you.   I *love* the show!!!  But the toys themselves are mostly kinda 'blah' to me.  So many in the same poses.  I do want some of the newer character ponies from the show, but only because of the show.  ;)

Yeah, I'm 29 and I keep thinking that my love for MLP collecting is going to go south and that one day I'm going to want to sell most of them, thinking it's childish.  But Nope!  Hasn't happened in the slightest!  If anything since the G4's have come out, I have wanted to collect even more.

Well, it isn't so much me thinking it is childish.  Heck, I adore the cartoon!!   I just don't feel the desire to add any more plastic ponies into my house.  LOL!   In general I have been paring back my things, so I think this is part of it.  Though there are some ponies I want, and I love some of the Monster High dolls too.   I think I will always love toys!   

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
Incidentally, one of the reasons I'm not going crazy over G4s is that I DID go crazy over G3s at first.  I needed every G3 pony!  I had so many.  But . . . I collected them so quickly over such a short time that I never really "connected" with any of them or had a chance to enjoy each individual one.  Like my goal had been "get ALL THE PONIES" instead of "enjoy the ponies."

As a result, once G3 ended I found I was overwhelmed by the number I had and they just lost their glamour for me.  I kept the ones I really liked and sold the rest.   Apparently I was not the only one going through this process, because their prices dropped like a rock and they were dirt cheap.

So I do not want to do something similar with G4 . . . partly because of the money, but mostly because I don't want to get caught up in that "MUST CONSUME" mindset again.  It was not one of my healthier moves, IMO.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Calico_Star

• Trade Count: (+63)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
Not really. G1s are still my favorite and I'm still prioritizing tracking them down first. BUT, the thing is, G4s are in stores now. I started collecting again at the end of the G3 era, with the bore 7. So there weren't many ponies in stores for me to buy. Now, there are new ponies coming out, but they're coming out SO DARN SLOWLY that I can afford to buy each wave at once when I find it. Minus the expensive playsets that come with one exclusive pony and a bunch of accessories and doubles I don't want. So my G4 collection is more complete than any of the other generations, but just because I'm collecting them as they come out, as opposed to catching up on years worth of ponies like with the other gens. And because of the slow rate the new ponies are being released here, I'm still buying more G1s than G4s.

:heart: My Deviantart :heart: Commissions: Closed

Offline DazzleKitty

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+93)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
It is quickly becoming one of my favorite generations (but they will never beat my love for G1s, but they sure are a runner up!).

The fact that I love the FiM show so much is why I really love this generation. If I had more spending money I'd certainly be buying more of the Taobao ones from eBay.

At first I thought I would be disappointed because I hate how tiny they are. Now I think they are super cute and I love their little faces and expressions!
My Wishlist
3DS FC: 5284-1682-0844

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal