collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: G3 "Retro" ponies on Target website  (Read 14472 times)

Offline Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
Re: G3 "Retro" ponies on Target website
« Reply #60 on: July 30, 2019, 02:52:29 PM »
I wouldn't be surprised if those ARE photos of the original G3s. It's happened before. (Anyone remember the Running Press Firefly debacle? You know, how the original stock photos had a G1 Firefly photoshopped into them instead of the actual mini-Firefly toy?)

Heck, I also wouldn't be surprised if it turns out those are the photos they used the for the original releases...! It'd explain the lack of in-package photos, too. I hope they go up for sale soon so we can see what's going on here.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Nemesis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Material Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 30, 2019, 03:02:25 PM »
That is beyond bizarre...  :shocked:  G3 can't be retro!?! How old am I?  :cry:   Feels like I just purchased these girls new... not sure if I need to do so again...

This. Just... this. :cry: How can a toy I liked as a tween already be “retro”!? I’m only 27! Is G3 really old? AM I OLD!? :cry:

I’m both horrified and extremely sad. :cloud:

How do you think I feel? I collected G3's as an adult and now... I'm still an adult but they are retro!?  :cry:

I feel like maybe we should all just make our reservations at a retirement home. Then we can hang out with the other senior citizens... playin’ bingo, watching reruns of The Lawrence Welk Show, and chatting about those old G3 ponies we remember getting “back in the day”.

After that, we can complain about the kids of today and their newfangled G5s: “When *I* was their age, we didn’t have any AR apps to go with our My Little Ponies! All we had were mail-in horseshoe points... and we LIKED IT! :shakefist:
« Last Edit: July 30, 2019, 03:04:44 PM by Nemesis »
🌈⭐️Check out my wishlist! Seeking all generations of ponies, Fashion Star Fillies, Magic Meadow Ponies, REMCO ponies, Sweetie Pups/Kitties, cutesy 80s/90s toys, and more!🦄🌙

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #62 on: July 30, 2019, 03:14:29 PM »
I wouldn't be surprised if those ARE photos of the original G3s. It's happened before. (Anyone remember the Running Press Firefly debacle? You know, how the original stock photos had a G1 Firefly photoshopped into them instead of the actual mini-Firefly toy?)

Heck, I also wouldn't be surprised if it turns out those are the photos they used the for the original releases...! It'd explain the lack of in-package photos, too. I hope they go up for sale soon so we can see what's going on here.

I thought that, but Pinkie Pie has no tinsel. And the original had tinsel. If I remember rightly. I don't own her but my sister does, and she has a talent for making a pony's hair look like a bush disaster by taking it out of the package.

@Banditpony, they can be Super Uber Mecha Power Pinkie Pie.

And yes, of course they'd all be pink. What other colour is there??

As for feeling old, I resigned the need to mentally age when I hit 30, and have been in denial ever since.

My father always says he's thirty something plus tax. (He's 76). I'm going to follow his example.

But yeah, I was 15 when G2 came out and 21 when G3 came out. I graduated my first degree with the original Rainbow Dash O.o.

If they're vintage and retro, I don't really want to think what I am - but maybe instead of worrying about jobs and pensions going forward, I'll just check myself into a museum instead.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 30, 2019, 03:18:08 PM »
Retro simply means emulating or going back to an older style. So no, they're not that old.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 30, 2019, 03:20:34 PM »
Retro simply means emulating or going back to an older style. So no, they're not that old.

Yeah. I think it literally means 'backward' xD as in "out of date and no longer valid" as well as 'past'. But you know, past is a relative term...

I think retro is overused as a term, personally.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 30, 2019, 03:22:45 PM »
Oh, good call on the tinsel thing. I always forget which G3s do/don't have that.

I wonder if Hasbro still have any G3 molds around. If they do then that probably explains why they look exactly like the original releases (well, more or less).

And I definitely agree that "retro" is an overused word these days.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 30, 2019, 03:23:34 PM »

Yeah. I think it literally means 'backward' xD as in "out of date and no longer valid" as well as 'past'. But you know, past is a relative term...

True. I mean 5 minutes ago was the past. Anywho, G3 isn't even 20 yet.

Plus if you guys think your old at 20- 30 something, well I'm not sure what you'll be like once you hit your 50s. Ahahaha. ;)
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 30, 2019, 03:25:07 PM »

True. I mean 5 minutes ago was the past. Anywho, G3 isn't even 20 yet.

Plus if you guys think your old at 20- 30 something, well I'm not sure what you'll be like once you hit your 50s. Ahahaha. ;)

Given the state of the world, either the environment or national politics will have exploded us by then, so I try not to worry about it too much ;)

I guess my answer would be, eligible to be a museum exhibit ;)
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline MoonShadow

• Sweet Kisses Pony
    • View Profile
    • Youtube!
« Reply #68 on: July 30, 2019, 03:25:21 PM »
That is beyond bizarre...  :shocked:  G3 can't be retro!?! How old am I?  :cry:   Feels like I just purchased these girls new... not sure if I need to do so again...

This. Just... this. :cry: How can a toy I liked as a tween already be “retro”!? I’m only 27! Is G3 really old? AM I OLD!? :cry:

I’m both horrified and extremely sad. :cloud:

How do you think I feel? I collected G3's as an adult and now... I'm still an adult but they are retro!?  :cry:

I feel like maybe we should all just make our reservations at a retirement home. Then we can hang out with the other senior citizens... playin’ bingo, watching reruns of The Lawrence Welk Show, and chatting about those old G3 ponies we remember getting “back in the day”.

After that, we can complain about the kids of today and their newfangled G5s: “When *I* was their age, we didn’t have any AR apps to go with our My Little Ponies! All we had were mail-in horseshoe points... and we LIKED IT! :shakefist:

I'm game!  Meet you at the social security office so we can start drawing retirement!  Hasbro will vouch for us on the age thing! lol

Offline Harmonie

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Crazy Woodwind Lady
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 30, 2019, 03:57:35 PM »
I remember several years ago when I was listening to a classic rock/hits station and they played "Smooth" by Santana, a song from either 1999 or 2000. I was like "What?! No, that can not be. That can not possibly count as a classic song yet. I remember when that song was big and I'm still young!"

MLP G3 began sometime in 2003, did it not? Most people don't seem to have a lot of problem with considering things from the 90s as classic/retro now. G3 MLP started just a few years later. The years are passing by.

TBH, G3 felt distant even when I got into collecting them back in 2014. Although of course G3 lasted quite a while so it wasn't as far away as I thought, but the ones I like the best are typically from the early to mid 00s, a long time ago now in my mind, and let me note I was in high school when G3 MLP started, so saying that does make me feel old. It's just reality, though.  :lol:

|My Collection|

Offline achab1984

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+222)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Ponies make me smile! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 30, 2019, 04:31:02 PM »
Oh this is very interesting! I cant wait to see that package they are coming in!

Offline BubbleTea

• Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
    • Must Collect Horses
« Reply #71 on: July 30, 2019, 05:04:48 PM »
Maybe people DO love pinkie pie after all...

(Not me tho!!!)

XD

G5... Nothing but Pinkie Pie.

Shh! You'll doom us!  :freak:

No. It will be Pinkie Pie and her crew.

Greenie Pie
Bluey Pie
Goldie Pie
Reddy Pie

And probably, at this rate, Pewdie Pie as well.

The twist is . . . they are all still pink.

You'll be able to tell them apart by their "height lights".

Y'all are so funny and weird :P. I love this forum
Sigs by SquarePeg and starrynights
:nerdy: :nerdy: :nerdy:

Offline TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Can buy, but cannot sell/trade
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #72 on: July 30, 2019, 05:24:22 PM »
TheBeatlesPkmnFan42, thank you!!!!!!

Haha, "retro" - classic, sure, but retro? C'mon, they're not that old yet! ..r-right?

To be fair, with "retro" I just put that word into the thread title to compare them to Basic Fun's G1 ponies since they're both recreations of past gen ponies. These Target listings don't say retro anywhere. That's why I put it in quotes.

Snupps|MLP Discord server|Instagram

Offline Harmonie

• Dabbles Pony
  • Crazy Woodwind Lady
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 30, 2019, 05:27:06 PM »
TheBeatlesPkmnFan42, thank you!!!!!!

Haha, "retro" - classic, sure, but retro? C'mon, they're not that old yet! ..r-right?

To be fair, with "retro" I just put that word into the thread title to compare them to Basic Fun's G1 ponies since they're both recreations of past gen ponies. These Target listings don't say retro anywhere. That's why I put it in quotes.

They do when I click on them. Like, Pinkie Pie's page is titled "My Little Pony Retro Classic Generation 3 - Pinkie Pie".

|My Collection|

Offline starbritesprinkles

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • The Lyrical Vault | she/her/hers
    • View Profile
    • StarbriteSprinkles
« Reply #74 on: July 30, 2019, 05:58:25 PM »
The first G3s were released in 2003, so yeah... I guess they could be called "retro." I turned 18 that year, bought my first two - Kimono and Pinkie Pie - at Kay-Bee Toys that summer. Something interesting to note with these is that the Applejack and Rainbow Dash in the links are looking forward, but the originals were released at the beginning of the G3 line when the neck seams were sealed in place. That pose looks to the left.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal