collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: My Little Pony #1 - IDW Comic Discussion  (Read 142 times)

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
My Little Pony #1 - IDW Comic Discussion
« on: May 25, 2022, 08:05:40 AM »
The official IDW comics have a new series starting today, focusing on the G5 ponies.

Wiki link with all upcoming comics, covers, summaries.

Today is the release of issue #1!
Pictures are comic covers A & B, the RI (1/10), and a limited print cover of 1000 from TFAW.com. There is one more cover depicting Cloudpuff (the white pomeranian) that is exclusive to Incredible Conventions.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

The summary, a bit spoilery:
Spoiler
With magic returned to Equestria, the ponies are more united than ever—at least until one of the Unity Crystals is stolen! Can the Mane 5 find the culprit before magic is gone for good? And could it really be that their pet Pomeranian is leading them to the city of Canterlot of Friendship Is Magic fame?"
---
A new adventure begins here! Join Sunny, Izzy, Zipp, Pipp, Hitch, and their trusty sidekick Cloudpuff as they explore a brand-new Equestria following the magical events of the hit Netflix movie!

With magic returned to Equestria, the ponies are more united than ever-at least, until one of the Unity Crystals is stolen! Can the Mane 5 find the culprit before magic is gone for good? And where's Cloudpuff leading them, anyway? Is this . . . Canterlot?!

I don't have the comic issue myself yet, I'll go to get it later today.

Thoughts? Anyone else picking it up?

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
Re: My Little Pony #1 - IDW Comic Discussion
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2022, 08:52:16 AM »
Who is the blue pegasus with the gray, white, blue and green hair? I need a custom of that right now.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2022, 09:41:36 AM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2022, 08:56:42 AM »
Who is the blue pegasus with the gray, white, blue and green hair? I need a custom of that right now.
From the third cover?

You're gonna laugh.

Or cry.

It's just old Rainbow Dash. XD

(That is a super sweet color scheme for her! I'd love to see a blue-scale dash. If you're talking about the blue pony in the second cover, it's Argyle, Sunny's Dad. :))

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2022, 09:00:18 AM »
From the third cover?

You're gonna laugh.

Or cry.

It's just old Rainbow Dash. XD

(That is a super sweet color scheme for her! I'd love to see a blue-scale dash. If you're talking about the blue pony in the second cover, it's Argyle, Sunny's Dad. :))

:blink: Oh ...well there's no rule saying I can't make an entirely different pony in those precise shades.

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2022, 11:00:52 AM »
The Fillies of Filly fame had magic mirrors they could use as smartphones, so did the fairy tale characters in Ever After High. In MLP, a magical world, ponies just use regular smartphones (probably produced by fillies and colts in Neigh-sia) and they clumsily hold them with their hooves.

The more you know :lol:

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2022, 12:12:04 PM »
I got the issue and just finished reading it.

I really liked it! I think this issue set up a lot of possibilities for future character conflict and growth (especially for Pipp, who is my favorite because she's a brat. :P). I didn't think the G4 stuff was too heavyhanded yet:

Spoiler
They do refer to Canterlot at the very start of the comic and make it out to be a safe haven for all pony kinds. I am curious how they will handle Discord being the thief (which we know from the summaries of the future issues).

I think there's very nice pacing, too. A wonderful breath of fresh air after the mess that was Season 10 & the Generations comic!

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2022, 01:23:53 PM »
I *hope* it will manage to give G5 some life of its own but the fact that it's going down the path of hanging onto old Equestria Canterlot M6 stuff makes me wince.

I am not interested in the IDW stuff so it's not really my opinion that matters, and maybe it will get on board some G4 fans if there is that element of connection.

BUT.

I still feel G5 lacks its own identity. And if it clings onto the concepts from G4, it won't ever build one.

I felt like the animated special had possibilities for its own path, so I hope that it will go that way. But I also hope IDW and such don't drag it backwards.

Hasbro were so pleased with G4 I see it as being hard for them to let it go as a cash cow, even though it's been flogged to death to the point it really needed to be done with. I just hope it doesn't ruin G5 because they and the people they licence the pony stuff to can't let it go either.

Fingers crossed that this isn't just another way to force the M6 into a story without a purpose (as with the Generations one)
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2022, 01:27:18 PM »
I *hope* it will manage to give G5 some life of its own but the fact that it's going down the path of hanging onto old Equestria Canterlot M6 stuff makes me wince.

I am not interested in the IDW stuff so it's not really my opinion that matters, and maybe it will get on board some G4 fans if there is that element of connection.

BUT.

I still feel G5 lacks its own identity. And if it clings onto the concepts from G4, it won't ever build one.

I felt like the animated special had possibilities for its own path, so I hope that it will go that way. But I also hope IDW and such don't drag it backwards.

Hasbro were so pleased with G4 I see it as being hard for them to let it go as a cash cow, even though it's been flogged to death to the point it really needed to be done with. I just hope it doesn't ruin G5 because they and the people they licence the pony stuff to can't let it go either.

Fingers crossed that this isn't just another way to force the M6 into a story without a purpose (as with the Generations one)

I think those hopes are going to get dashed on the rocks. Hasbro needs to let go, but they've already proven by shoving G4 in the toyline and movie that they won't.  :nope:
« Last Edit: May 25, 2022, 01:29:16 PM by Leave a Whisper »

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2022, 01:46:35 PM »
Well, my hopes for G5 were never that high following G4, because it's technically not a proper new generation...it's set in the same world and with a connection to the previous, so it's actually a subset of G4. We're only calling it G5 because Hasbro apparently decide those things now.

The irony is that G4 fans call tales 'G2' but, I feel like it's the opposite, and G5 is actually the G4 equivalent of Tales :/

...But it also doesn't really affect me. I'd just like the kids to have this generation of pony back theirs, not flapped all over by adults who don't know where appropriateness lines are.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2022, 02:41:44 PM »
I got the issue and just finished reading it.

I really liked it! I think this issue set up a lot of possibilities for future character conflict and growth (especially for Pipp, who is my favorite because she's a brat. :P). I didn't think the G4 stuff was too heavyhanded yet:

Spoiler
They do refer to Canterlot at the very start of the comic and make it out to be a safe haven for all pony kinds. I am curious how they will handle Discord being the thief (which we know from the summaries of the future issues).

I think there's very nice pacing, too. A wonderful breath of fresh air after the mess that was Season 10 & the Generations comic!

But of course they had to bring in Fluttershy's husband again. My interest just plummeted :P
Did they at least change the art style or is it the same artist(s) from the previous pony IDW stuff?

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2022, 03:26:11 PM »
Did they at least change the art style or is it the same artist(s) from the previous pony IDW stuff?

I thought the art was cute, it definitely isn't G4. The artist has illustrated for pony comics before, but her latest issue was 23. She at least conveys emotions well and made it fun to read through, which is more than I can say for some of the later comics.

Sig by Starscout <3

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal