collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Customizers' chit-chat thread  (Read 47854 times)

Offline Griffin

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+89)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • aka Haawan | she/her
    • View Profile
    • Haawan Pony Customs
Re: Customizers' chit-chat thread
« Reply #345 on: April 30, 2022, 03:16:36 AM »
I agree with BC! I actually think you could even go a bit higher on the first four categories, but it's difficult to say what people are willing to pay these days...
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

deviantART | Haawan Pony Customs | Aithne reference
Avatar by FizzyScrumptious, signature by tailrustedtealeaf - thank you ♥

Offline Kazzellin

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: April 30, 2022, 11:42:04 AM »
Does anyone have a source for carousel horse poles? I had one, years ago, for a carousel swap I participated in, but that was two computers ago, so I no longer have the bookmark. I managed to find ONE seller on ebay (who only had two available), and bought one there, but I was hoping to make a few for the Fair. I might have to make a mold of the pole I bought, and cast the visible pieces in resin. :awake: Thoughts?
My creativity keeps running into a lack of time and resources.  :cry:
I'm also available via twitter at @Kazzellin :)

So many projects!! What do I want to work on? :awake:

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #347 on: April 30, 2022, 02:40:04 PM »
I looked around for you and all I could find were these

https://www.greenmtnceramics.com/ecommerce/supplies/carousel-pole-kit.html

https://cherrytreetoys.com/wood-parts/dowels/

eBay, might be the same seller you found

I think making a mold is a good idea. If you go the dowel route you can carve them yourself, if you're up to that.

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline Starflashbaby

• Trade Count: (+33)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • When life throws you bricks, build a Castle!
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #348 on: May 02, 2022, 06:18:59 PM »
Kimberly Johns

Do these seem reasonable?  I love to create but I do not love sitting on my creations.  It seems to fuel me to see them adopted.  I'm a little nervous to be taking a few commissions maybe but I think it will be ok.  I just do not want to let anyone down.

OOOOHHHH I just have to say that Repose Last Unicorn IS GORGEOUS!!!!!!! :shocked:

also I'm new to this thread How does one come up with prices for there customs to sell... to make profit and to be reasonable as well.... The prices you set Colorscapesart are perfect for you cause YOUR REALLY Talented!!!!!! Even Id pay that much for a custom made by you.... But for me (I have yet a lot of learning to do) But I can do simple Customs like
A full paint job and decal symbol work that works out great in the end. I don't usually paint my symbols but I use a computer to get them done.
I've been commissioned a few times I never knew what to sell the commission for so I done it for Free. So the one I'm doing the Mack Commission is free for my cousin, but for future ponies and commissions what should I charge? or how do I determine the amount...

Edit I'd say a $25 on the first category to be honest for your work. I don't know about mine...
« Last Edit: May 02, 2022, 06:21:04 PM by Starflashbaby »

Sales, WTB, Commissions Open

Offline kaelynn

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
    • KaeLynn Design on Etsy
« Reply #349 on: May 02, 2022, 08:11:48 PM »
Have you ever just been looking through your baits, picked up a pony and got suddenly inspired to do it right away? 

That happened to me tonight. I was looking through my G4 baits and found a Lyra that I had prepped years ago when I bought her for $2 I think in one of those plastic bags. Right away I knew I wanted to do something shamrock-y with her.

I haven’t done any painting or even finalized her design yet but her rehair is already done and the glue is drying!  That never happens for me. I always think of an idea first then find a bait to fit the idea.

Colorscapesart:  I forgot to mention earlier, I find your paint only price is too low but the others sound about right to me I think. Though I think you could go higher on your repose too…it looks like a lot of work!
« Last Edit: May 02, 2022, 08:14:57 PM by kaelynn »

Commissions are OPEN!
Find me on Instagram @ kaelynn_design
KaeLynn Design on Etsy - https://www.etsy.com/shop/KaeLynnDesign

Offline Snapdragon

• Trade Count: (+103)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: May 03, 2022, 02:13:55 AM »
Colorscapesart, I agree with folks saying it's too low! I think you'll definitely get sales, but I think you could ask higher - if you felt comfortable. It might be one of those things where if it's too low you'll be inundated with requests and get burnt out, but if you ask too high you'll be waiting longer between commissions. You could always offer like - in order to pick up customers, first ten commissioners get the special pricing, or something? Then once you feel comfortable turning down the cheap work, up your prices. I could also see you offering different pricing for each gen - say, for a tiny G4, I could see something relatively simple like a mandala pattern being $15, if you can whip that out in an hour or less. But for a G1, that's like 3x the body space! $15 for 3x the work doesn't work! I'd also check out other customizers, and see what they're charging for your skill level! I do think the resculpting/complex custom prices seem pretty good; I don't see a lot of customizers charging more than $150 per pony. (But again, you do you!)

I've hit a pretty big personal art goal, I managed to repaint a pony and NOT wipe and repaint her eyes ten times! I always manage to find something I dislike about the eyes, and this time I just ... didn't! I think it was a combo of being very careful about how I did the eyes, and having higher quality paint/brushes (so less dumb errors like the paint getting watery), and I had a few near-misses where I was able to clean up boo-boos without having to pile on the paint or wipe it off entirely. And I lowkey gave myself permission to make the eyes 'sisters, not twins' since I realized this mold already has mismatching eyes in the base sculpt! Very pleased!! :heart: Plus she turned out looking great, so I'm happy all around!
Commissions and sales are currently closed due to pandemic.~*~Sales!~*~Want List ~*~JAFFACAKE!

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #351 on: May 03, 2022, 05:34:44 AM »
Congrats Snap! Eyes are so hard.

Starflash - Never do artwork for free unless it's something you WANT to do. If you feel you need to charge for your customs, then do so. I've never been good at gauging prices myself. The few times I took commissions I charged way too low, but I didn't know that at the time. I wasn't confident in myself and was just happy someone wanted some of my work but I ended up shorting myself.

At basic level, you want payment for your time and supplies. I find pricing for supplies difficult because I usually buy in bulk, like bulk clay. How can you charge someone for using a little bit of something you already have? You know? Time, the very best thing is to literally time yourself when you work and pay yourself what you think you're worth. This is where confidence comes in because you shouldn't feel bad about what you charge. If you're not getting any interest, then reevaluate. You can always change prices.

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed

Offline Starflashbaby

• Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #352 on: May 03, 2022, 07:21:37 AM »
Congrats Snap! Eyes are so hard.

Starflash - Never do artwork for free unless it's something you WANT to do. If you feel you need to charge for your customs, then do so. I've never been good at gauging prices myself. The few times I took commissions I charged way too low, but I didn't know that at the time. I wasn't confident in myself and was just happy someone wanted some of my work but I ended up shorting myself.

At basic level, you want payment for your time and supplies. I find pricing for supplies difficult because I usually buy in bulk, like bulk clay. How can you charge someone for using a little bit of something you already have? You know? Time, the very best thing is to literally time yourself when you work and pay yourself what you think you're worth. This is where confidence comes in because you shouldn't feel bad about what you charge. If you're not getting any interest, then reevaluate. You can always change prices.

Thank you BlackCurtains for the info! Very much appreciated  :biggrin:

I need to invest in a airbrush and I was now curious if one uses an airbrush where do you airbrush? What does your setup look like? Like is it in the garage or do you have an art room...
I don't have an art room I have a kitchen table & the garage is sometimes very cold depending on the weather...

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #353 on: May 03, 2022, 07:49:45 AM »
I actually airbrush in a cardboard box that I put on my desk when I need it. I keep it in a closet most of the time so it doesn't get dusty. I can use the same box, hmm, maybe 6 times before I need a new box. I've always airbrushed inside because going outside was difficult. It is better to do it outside if you can, or in the garage in your case. Always wear a mask though, you don't want to breathe in the fumes.

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed

Offline Starflashbaby

• Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #354 on: May 03, 2022, 08:10:06 AM »
Awe I never thought of the fumes of the paint from airbrushing... does air brushing use different paint like different acrylic

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #355 on: May 03, 2022, 08:48:01 AM »
The paint has to be a certain consistency, thin. You can buy already thinned airbrush paints. I use Createx. Or you can use regular acrylic and water it down. I have watered down some colors in the past and you've got to be careful because if it's too thick or too thin it'll spit and splatter. Honestly, the Createx might cost more but I find it easier to use. I'm sure there are other brands of airbrush acrylic.

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed

Offline Starflashbaby

• Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #356 on: May 03, 2022, 09:51:12 AM »
I just popped in to hobby lobby for a bit to look at what they sold for airbrushing the guy didn't want to sell me a good quality one until I was more Familiar with airbrushing... I see his point he was going to sell me a $20 set & canister the aircan thing for $8 & then all new paint I was overwhelmed so I'm glad I just took the free pamphlet on airbrushing and then I'll look up some tutorials on the net that I found.

But I didn't see the name of the paint he was trying to sell me... where do you find Createx paint?
Thank you soo much for all the info you have and are willing to give me BlackCurtains  :biggrin:

Edit: I just took some time & watched some tutorials on airbrushing. I learned about air compressors & different model airbrushes. Thinning paint and adjusting the pi cleaning the airbrush. & everything...

What kind of airbrush do you use single or double action?
« Last Edit: May 03, 2022, 11:57:35 AM by Starflashbaby »

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #357 on: May 03, 2022, 12:22:39 PM »
I have a double action Paasche. It's about 9 years old now, but still works perfectly. I also use a compressor I bought from a website that just sold compressors. Mine is a small one for make-up but it has the power to do ponies.

I get my paint and most of my other art supplies from Blick Art Materials

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed

Offline Starflashbaby

• Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #358 on: May 03, 2022, 04:26:03 PM »
I'm really glad I went with my gut and decided not to get one today. I think I like the double action as well. Thank you BlackCurtains  :biggrin:

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #359 on: May 04, 2022, 06:54:43 AM »
You're welcome :)

I'm about to do something I've never done before (that I can remember) and that's working on more than one project at a time. I actually have 4 customs I want to do. Two are WIPs and two are new ideas, the baits are prepped but that's it. I think if I rotate them, like when one is drying, work on another, not only will I be done faster but it might prevent burnout. Sometimes I get crazy complicated ideas and as I work on them I start to hate them :lol: I'm hoping that keeping it fresh will help.

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal