collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: What kind/type of dragon is G1 Spike in theory or canonically?  (Read 822 times)

Offline TarkanDragon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Fancy Pants Baby
  • Just your average 80's dragon boy
    • View Profile
What kind/type of dragon is G1 Spike in theory or canonically?
« on: December 20, 2022, 12:42:54 AM »
Yeah I know I've came across a conversation about G1 Spike looked more lizard like. Though honestly not gonna lie but I guess it also make sense since he's a baby dragon and all but then again I've at one point have talked about the Spike's family expansion in my last topic about "what if Weston kept appearing in other episodes" as well...

But what got me thinking about what kind/type of Dragon is G1 Spike?

Though some people have compared him to a Monitor Lizard since Monitor Lizards have ears but not exactly like the "Cat ears" that Spike have:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

I mean to me I think he would be that type but then again I always think of a "Cat-like Dragon" for some wild reason.

But honestly I know that I'm not the only one who actually think about Spike being a "Cat-like Dragon" there's other dragons I've thought of fitting types at one point.

Like the Dragon Gang in "Spike's Search":

The appearances of the Dragon gang does have an Alligator-like appearance (also more of like King Koopa from SMBSS) so I've thought of them to be like "Alligator-type Dragons"

And there's also a dragon that has wings in one of the episodes but honestly nobody at one point talked about "The Monster" :

I know this is mostly a random thing to bring up and I've been quiet for the most of my months due to school and such.

But if there's anyone to know an answer for this question let me know in the replies.

Offline dragglereeka

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Ouchy Roids Pony
    • View Profile
Re: What kind/type of dragon is G1 Spike in theory or canonically?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2022, 04:14:48 AM »
I'm afraid I don't have any info on Spike's canon description however for me, I've always seen him as a Drake dragon as he doesn't have wings
This kinda stuff is really interesting to me, I'll keep an eye on the thread :wow:

*Thankyou to Strawberry Swirl for my avatar*

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2022, 06:37:13 AM »
He's a baby dragon! :silly:

Offline Cbaird

• Fancy Pants Baby
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2022, 09:33:29 AM »
Based on a fact file card G1 Spike was female.   
http://mlpfactfile.blogspot.com/2013/05/dream-castle.html
« Last Edit: December 20, 2022, 09:36:44 AM by Cbaird »

Offline Gator

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2022, 09:37:09 AM »
I have always thought of him in simple terms as a land dragon.  I know that’s not cannon, but I always think of them as land, air, ice, water, etc., with other sub-types, such as a fire breathing land dragon.

Offline brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2022, 11:01:37 AM »
I never thought a lot about it.  But, I assumed he was from an extremely rare, magical and slow growing species.  He could always sprout wings and have his ears change as he aged.  He might even change color.
Sig art by SquarePeg!

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2022, 11:07:09 AM »

Huh, I never noticed that. Must be a goof though, everything else has him as male. The fact file did have some errors i.e. purple Minty ;)

Offline Cbaird

• Fancy Pants Baby
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2022, 11:11:44 AM »
That is what I first thought, that the editors made an error.   
The other thought is they changed it for the cartoon because Spike was not girly enough name (even for the 1980's)

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2022, 12:24:04 PM »
Nah, he was always meant to be a boy, the instructions for Dream Castle call him "he".

I'd bet the fact file editors messed it up cause the wording isn't very clear - it took me a few readthroughs before I realized "she often takes them for a tour.." meant Spike and not Majesty. I could easily see it originally saying 'he', an editor glancing over it and thinking it was calling Majesty a 'he', and "fixing" it.

(Aside: Those instructions are delightful. I didn't realize the dragon portrait sticker in Dream Castle was meant to be a portrait of Spike's grandma!!!)

Offline Mewtwofan1

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Currently stumbling through somewhere. Send help.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2022, 03:02:55 PM »
I never thought about it much, but I think it could be either the dragon gang or the dragon “monster”. Based on physical traits (ears, those horny protrusions on the spine and nose shape), I might be inclined to say spike is the latter, or at least closer to the latter than the dragon gang. While we don’t know much of anything about dragon development in pony land, it is possible spike would grow wings as he matures (maybe not as dramatically a transformation as his g4 counterpart) and eventually become more like the “monster” dragon. It is also possible spike simply lacks the wings that other members of his kind have. We know little of his time before the ponies other than he was in the care of Scorpan. Maybe he just could be an anomaly in that regard.
This. Sentence. Is. False! Dontthinkaboutitdontthinkaboutit.

Offline stjarne

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rockin Beat Pony
  • my teemnsy pone....
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2022, 03:09:29 PM »
i never thought about this- same with G3 spike. i will say though, he does remind me a LOT of the dragons from Dragon Tales.  :P
✧・゚* jar ・゚*✧
they/she ◦ 22
G3 wishes | jars pony junction | my insta

:cloud:

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2022, 06:37:50 PM »
A pank dragon. He just looks like a generic dragon to me, minus the wings.

i never thought about this- same with G3 spike. i will say though, he does remind me a LOT of the dragons from Dragon Tales.  :P

I always felt that whoever made Dragon Tales was inspired by Spike.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2023, 12:12:46 PM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline TarkanDragon

• Fancy Pants Baby
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2022, 04:59:22 AM »
I never thought a lot about it.  But, I assumed he was from an extremely rare, magical and slow growing species.  He could always sprout wings and have his ears change as he aged.  He might even change color.

Possible though he's been growing up slowly but then again might be possible.

Spike was not female. And I've never mentioned about his gender since I know he's male. Though one time in one of the episodes he had lashes for a few seconds... But really Spike was not female to begin with, period.

I never thought about it much, but I think it could be either the dragon gang or the dragon “monster”. Based on physical traits (ears, those horny protrusions on the spine and nose shape), I might be inclined to say spike is the latter, or at least closer to the latter than the dragon gang. While we don’t know much of anything about dragon development in pony land, it is possible spike would grow wings as he matures (maybe not as dramatically a transformation as his g4 counterpart) and eventually become more like the “monster” dragon. It is also possible spike simply lacks the wings that other members of his kind have. We know little of his time before the ponies other than he was in the care of Scorpan. Maybe he just could be an anomaly in that regard.

I might doubt about him giving a monster personality when he matures but then again I at one point didn't include about Spike's Parents from a bit we see in Spike's search episode to this topic.

I mean I would say that from this "re-imagined" spikes parents would be actually true that dragons like when they're adults they would look like this:

Then again I think maybe if the monster would be some what also be related to Spike's Species in theory then alright. Also one more thing to mention is during the development of Escape of the midnight castle, Spike originally was going to have wings.

Honestly I thought of it as well though I've never mentioned about G3 spike but yeah...

I know this is my response to some of the replies of theories that people have said. (Sorry I'd I missed any more) But honestly we're might be starting to look deeper about it.

And oh one more response to this:
I'm afraid I don't have any info on Spike's canon description however for me, I've always seen him as a Drake dragon as he doesn't have wings
This kinda stuff is really interesting to me, I'll keep an eye on the thread :wow:
Yeah it might be tricky to het Spike's canon description. Also thanks. I mean I've find this interesting too.

Hopefully maybe  we could continue this topic as long as this is active and does not lock up like last time. And maybe get the most answers as possible. Because I'm starting get even more curious about the theories and also find out the canon description to G1 Spike.

So yeah. in a way thanks. And sorry to burst most of the weirdness.

So any more answers or theories that you guys could think of for G1 Spike's species type?
« Last Edit: December 21, 2022, 06:13:37 AM by TarkanDragon »

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2022, 07:04:31 AM »
To be honest, I doubt there IS a "canon" or official answer beyond just "a baby dragon". I don't imagine they really thought about it that much?

Offline TarkanDragon

• Fancy Pants Baby
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2022, 07:12:52 AM »
To be honest, I doubt there IS a "canon" or official answer beyond just "a baby dragon". I don't imagine they really thought about it that much?

Well there are different kinds of Dragons but honestly if there isn't any info about answer beyond just "a baby dragon". But honestly some of us or most G1 fans watched the cartoon and sometimes they think there's more behind it. I mean I would doubt it as well but my curiosity strike in with this question about Spike's design and which kind of dragons is Spike.

Then again like Danny once said about that there's different types of Ponies like Pegasi, Unicorns and Earth ponies... And maybe Dragons would be the same as well. (that's also got into my curiosity about what kind of dragon type is G1 Spike.)

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I know I answered early because I was still online but then again I at one point also would like to clarify one thing about that question that I had in my head. (sorry if it's seems random but I know sometimes that happens.)
« Last Edit: December 21, 2022, 07:17:23 AM by TarkanDragon »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal