collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Question About Color Changing Hair  (Read 754 times)

Molybdenum

• Trade Count: (0)
Question About Color Changing Hair
« on: July 12, 2012, 10:48:30 PM »
I hope this is the right board for such a thing. >_<

I have a Twice as Fancy Sundancer with the white hair that turns purple in the sunlight. Her hair still changes color perfectly but her main is frizzy as heck. I wanted to straighten it but I was wondering if any of you know if using the heat method would harm the color changing properties of the hair? Do any of you know how to de-frizz color changing hair safely?
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 10:50:06 PM by Molybdenum »

Offline butterflybuttons

• Trade Count: (+82)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Feeling the G2 love
    • View Profile
    • My outdated DA
Re: Question About Color Changing Hair
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2012, 01:28:23 AM »
A straightner will melt the colour changing hair.

Boiling water can help a bit (I've only used off the boiled water) but I found conditioner and combing had the best results.

As for the colour changing properties, I've only experimented on bait ponies where it wasn't working to begin with, so I'm afraid I'm not much help there.

Good luck.

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2012, 02:25:59 AM »
I have never come across a safe way to de-frizz colour changing hair unfortunately - very warm heat will either permanently damage it and may even lock it one colour or the other or simply melt it.

I would agree with BFB - a conditioner soak, combing and perhaps some warm [although not super warm] water is your best bet.

Unfortunately the properties of the hair do seem to be that it "breaks" down and tangles - I would guess this has something to do with the properties of the thermal changing chemicals it uses in nylon hair.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Flutterblossom

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2012, 05:59:25 AM »
I have a Twice as Fancy Sundancer with the white hair that turns purple in the sunlight.
OMG her hair changes colors!?!?! That's so cool! I found a TAF Sundance in my grandma's basement, I will see if her white hair changes colors!!

Offline kissthethunder

• Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • shifting through the maples for Oakley
    • View Profile
    • http://kiss-the-thunder.deviantart.com/
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2012, 06:10:00 AM »
Oh sweetie, ;-; I made that mistake with my childhood sundance ;-; No more color changing hair for her...

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2012, 01:45:08 PM »
I have a Twice as Fancy Sundancer with the white hair that turns purple in the sunlight.
OMG her hair changes colors!?!?! That's so cool! I found a TAF Sundance in my grandma's basement, I will see if her white hair changes colors!!

And this was my reaction when I realised Megans hair changed colour as well when I got her a few years ago...awe and lots of squee-excitement! You ll need to check out your girl to see if her hair still works :)
Loa is my love god!

Flutterblossom

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2012, 01:50:14 PM »

And this was my reaction when I realised Megans hair changed colour as well when I got her a few years ago...awe and lots of squee-excitement! You ll need to check out your girl to see if her hair still works :)

I put her in the sun and her white hair turned a really light pink. It worked, but it's REALLY light. And her hair is very disgusting! Is it from the color changing chemicals? (She is my little sister's btw)

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2012, 03:59:47 PM »
"Disgusting" as in "frizzy"?

If yes then, yes its the type of hair and the chemicals used for them to react to UV...it clearly must break down with time and that essentially damages the hair itself.

Still its cool that it did at least change! Lots of them are stuck on and dont change any more!
Loa is my love god!

Molybdenum

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2012, 11:47:48 PM »
Thank you guys for your input! That helps a lot. I think I'll just live with her hair not being silky smooth or anything because the purple is really cool. Yeah, I had NO idea that her hair changed colors until my friend texted me and asked me if her hair still changed in the sun and I was like "whhhaaat?!"

Rach - what did you do to yours to make it not work anymore? I'm afraid the little bit of hot water I used on the tips a few days ago messed it up but I'll test her tomorrow. Her hair was such a rich purple, too. I was surprised!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal