collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Anyone seen the new Jem & The Holograms movie trailer?  (Read 12176 times)

Offline octocorn

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Don't dream it, be it.
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone seen the new Jem & The Holograms movie trailer?
« Reply #90 on: August 13, 2015, 02:05:42 PM »
While I think it's cool that they gave that 1990's webcam some new life as Synergy, this new trailer sucks just as hard as the first one.

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #91 on: August 18, 2015, 02:42:26 PM »
I'm really annoyed at the "teen coming of age story" angle.  One of the great things about Jem is that from the very start they are successful, confident WOMEN.  They had the Starlight Girls (the orphans) for the teen plots, but for the most part it was about the adventures of women who were already a popular rock group.

Ugggh, why even use Jem's name for this.

Because it makes them money.

Some of the rationalisations I've seen from Jem "fans" about this movie (ie, we should love it just because it's Jem) are really shattered by the promotion and the attitude towards the original. It is meant to be Jem for a new generation, which is really insulting to the new generation. It implies that they can't be anything deeper than self-absorbed teens looking at their own image because someone uploaded them to youtube.

I am not a fan of Jem, I've always been a Misfit, pretty much since I began collecting in 2001...but even though I don't like Jem herself, I feel she's been taken apart by this representation. Jerrica was at the very least driven to protect something important at the start of the series, however muddled and confused she became as the series went on. It doesn't actually begin with them being a successful anything. THe Holograms are formed in order to take back Starlight Music from Eric and the Misfits so that they can feed the foster girls, because the Starlight House is falling apart following Emmet's death. They learn about Synergy who helps Jerrica create a band to challenge Eric, and then winning the Battle of the Bands becomes a must because Eric's lackey burns their original house down. There are high moral stakes involved in Jem and the Holograms' beginning. Like I said, I'm a Misfit fan, but you can't fault the origins and the motivations behind the band being together.

By Starlight, I think they've been together as a band for a few months, but they're still growing, and again, the movie is in order to raise money for BaNee's eye surgery. Again,strong unselfish moral ground for taking part.

Jerrica had some serious identity issues by the end - running off with Riot without a word, creating a third persona to hide from Rio...and she does some really questionable things as the series continues, but it all began with the best of intentions, and it was none of it to seek stardom. It's probably the reason Jerrica became Jem, because Jerrica had no intention of being the 'star'.

And those intentions have been cheapened into starseeking teenage girls.

The film is probably fine. My one issue is that it's not a Jem film, and so shouldn't be piggybacking off the name of something far different.

Synergy's also one of my favourite characters, because she's obviously sentient and not just a machine. I haven't seen the second trailer, but I am actively disturbed by the mention of "robot". Synergy was the "ultimate holographic synthesiser". She wasn't a "robot".
« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 02:45:56 PM by Taffeta »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Jordan

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 21, 2015, 09:40:32 AM »
the second trailer is SLIGHTLY better but definitely not going to see it, they made synergy into a Wall-E / EVE Hybrid. but I'm happy that they kept Emmet close to the original storyline

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 21, 2015, 11:24:38 AM »
How do they think that's any better?
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Icey

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
    • Retro Plastic on Etsy
« Reply #94 on: August 25, 2015, 06:56:46 PM »
Galactica - I want to come to your house and play with your Jem dolls!

Offline Mermaid

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 27, 2015, 04:44:07 PM »
I keep watching the trailer and the more I do, the more I want to see it....
Thanks to calico star for my avatar!

Offline babylofty

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+19)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 12, 2015, 11:19:16 AM »
I almost cried when the first trailer came out. I'm not a hard core fan but that trailer HURT my 80's child.

The second one is slightly better, but not much. I'm still saving my money for the next Marvel Superhero movie. :)
darcerin on the TP, arinaketchum on ebay, Salvia on PI

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 18, 2015, 12:59:17 PM »
Icey- for sure!   I seriously LOVE these dolls and you would totally love them too if you liked the original Jem, they are as gorgeous and detailed as I had always wanted the Hasbro dolls to be. And their faces are so pretty ... (I love the Hasbro dolls in their way, but mostly for the packaging and outfits- their faces leave something to be desired)

I am not liking the looks of the movie, but I kinda hope they will come up with at least one Integrity doll who is wearing the jacket "Jem" is wearing in those promo shots. It's pretty cute.

Offline Sukey

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 22, 2015, 06:24:45 PM »
Severely, severely disappointing :( I saw this post awhile ago, but I was afraid to watch the trailer. Well now I did and it is horrifying. If they wanted to do a Jem movie, they should have at least made it a period film that was set in the 80's and not changed everything about it. I love the cartoon. I'm going to pretend this movie doesn't exist and try to erase its horribleness from my memory.

A Furrever Friends Site

*** Looking for a Glory tin- I have a Starshine tin for trade ***

Offline Tigerlilyx

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
  • ♫ Portugal - Walk The Moon
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 22, 2015, 11:05:59 PM »
Just checked out imbd and it got a rating of 4.1/10.
Is the movie out in the states yet or has anyone watched the whole film? It'll be screening here in my country next month.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: October 23, 2015, 07:11:14 AM »
I heard on the TF forums, that this hack of a director would like to do a TF/Jem/G.I. Joe universe movie. Okay, I did like his G.I Joe movie, it wasn't too shabby and a GI Joe/ TF movie would work if it was directed by someone else, but after what he did to Jem? No! Just no! Plus how would that even work? Especially with Miley Cyrus 2.0?
« Last Edit: October 23, 2015, 07:14:38 AM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 23, 2015, 08:13:05 AM »
Critics tend to not rate teen movies well in general. Well of course cause grown people don't have the same perspective. High School Musical had a 5.1 and Descendants only did slightly better with a 6.
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline Sapphire-Light

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
    • http://sapphire-light.deviantart.com/
« Reply #102 on: October 23, 2015, 03:18:23 PM »
Didn't Hasbro mentioned some months ago they were going to release dolls based in the movie? maybe they cancelled the plans after being the negative reaction from the first trailer?  :what:

I am not a fan of Jem, I've always been a Misfit, pretty much since I began collecting in 2001...but even though I don't like Jem herself, I feel she's been taken apart by this representation. Jerrica was at the very least driven to protect something important at the start of the series, however muddled and confused she became as the series went on. It doesn't actually begin with them being a successful anything. THe Holograms are formed in order to take back Starlight Music from Eric and the Misfits so that they can feed the foster girls, because the Starlight House is falling apart following Emmet's death. They learn about Synergy who helps Jerrica create a band to challenge Eric, and then winning the Battle of the Bands becomes a must because Eric's lackey burns their original house down. There are high moral stakes involved in Jem and the Holograms' beginning. Like I said, I'm a Misfit fan, but you can't fault the origins and the motivations behind the band being together.

By Starlight, I think they've been together as a band for a few months, but they're still growing, and again, the movie is in order to raise money for BaNee's eye surgery. Again,strong unselfish moral ground for taking part.

Jerrica had some serious identity issues by the end - running off with Riot without a word, creating a third persona to hide from Rio...and she does some really questionable things as the series continues, but it all began with the best of intentions, and it was none of it to seek stardom. It's probably the reason Jerrica became Jem, because Jerrica had no intention of being the 'star'.

And those intentions have been cheapened into starseeking teenage girls.

The film is probably fine. My one issue is that it's not a Jem film, and so shouldn't be piggybacking off the name of something far different.

Synergy's also one of my favourite characters, because she's obviously sentient and not just a machine. I haven't seen the second trailer, but I am actively disturbed by the mention of "robot". Synergy was the "ultimate holographic synthesiser". She wasn't a "robot".

Well written, congratulations  ^.^

Another thing that's important from the old Jem that appears to be  gone now is that at the time of the cartoon debut they were very few shows to show a strong willed and independent woman who doesn't need to be rescued or be helped by male characters in nearly every episodes  :cool: the only other I can think right now is She-Ra

Unlike most other characters at the time for example April O'neil, Smurfette, etc

S.o.a.r.

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #103 on: October 24, 2015, 01:05:05 AM »
I was so excited when I first heard about the movie! I've grown up with the original animated series and own most of it (Swedish episodes) on VHS! Then when I realized the movie wouldn't be animated, I was slightly dissapointed. Then when I watched the trailer on YouTube a few weeks' back I was stunned. It was so bad I was seriously at a loss for words. In my eyes, that's not a Jem & The Holograms movie! It doesn't deserve to be associated with the amazing tv series...!

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: October 24, 2015, 10:44:09 AM »
What I've heard from people who have seen it is that it's supposed to be a prequel. The Misfits do appear at the end. I'm worried trying to show their origin instead of jumping right into the story of the cartoon is going to hurt their chances of doing a movie that actually follows the cartoon.
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal