collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: 10th Anniversary Pony- curly ribbon in tail fixable?*UPDATE, I did it! (w/pics)*  (Read 588 times)

Sandra

• Trade Count: (0)
I couldn't find anything on Google or the forum regarding this, but I have a 10th Anniversary Pony with some bends in her curly tail ribbons:

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Is this fixable? I'd like to make the curls neater without the bends in them. I haven't tried anything yet, as I'm scared to ruin the ribbon.

EDIT:
Okay, so I ended up fixing the ribbons! They look almost as good as new. Basically what I did was get the hair and ribbons wet (this was all before I read hathorcat's post on trying to avoid wetting it.) I used hot water on the ribbons in order to make them a bit more flexible, and wrapped them around drinking straws. I then took a hair dryer and put it on the cold setting and blew it over the ribbons while they were curled around the straws. I thought that the cool air would help "set" the plastic back into shape. I don't know if this was a necessary step, but it didn't hurt to try. I left the pony alone for a couple of days and voila~ Her ribbons are as good as new!

Excuse the mess on my desk. ^^;

I'm pretty proud of myself, even though its a minor accomplishment. She looks so lovely now! :frolic: I hope this helps anyone who is in the same predicament with their 10th Anniversary Pony.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2013, 06:22:41 PM by Sandra »

Offline MacabreDarling

• Trade Count: (+119)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
    • http://macabredarling.deviantart.com/
Re: 10th Anniversary Pony- curly ribbon in tail fixable?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2013, 05:37:03 PM »
I recently got one of these in a lot, and I washed and recurled with drinking straws :D
 Thank you tinrobo!

Sandra

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2013, 05:38:26 PM »
I recently got one of these in a lot, and I washed and recurled with drinking straws :D

Did you have to use hot water?

Offline achab1984

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+222)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Ponies make me smile! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2013, 05:39:07 PM »
Did the straw work on the ribbons? I had one way back in the day and they were horrible.

I also wonder about this to :)

Offline ZennaBug

• Doodlebug Art/Adopts Mod
  • Trade Count: (+53)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • ZensDoodles Instagram
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2013, 05:43:54 PM »
Is it just regular curling ribbon?  When I wrap presents, I use scissors to curl ribbons like that and it works like crazy.  But I really think that if you tested on DIFFERENT ribbon first, to make sure you've got the hang of it.  :P

:heart: Avi and Sig by me -  @ZensDoodles (Instagram) :heart:

Sandra

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2013, 05:52:35 PM »
Is it just regular curling ribbon?  When I wrap presents, I use scissors to curl ribbons like that and it works like crazy.  But I really think that if you tested on DIFFERENT ribbon first, to make sure you've got the hang of it.  :P

I was thinking that also! I think it's regular plastic ribbon that you can buy at any store, but it seems a tad bit thicker. I've curled gift ribbons with scissors too. I'm just afraid of making it worse since I'd like this ribbon to be curly but neat and everytime I try with normal gift ribbon, it seems to go all over the place.

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2013, 03:51:49 PM »
I would be more careful with it than you would be with normal curling ribbon and I wouldnt get it wet if you could avoid it. However, you can try a simply dry set - carefully wind the ribbon around a straw and secure with a kirby grip/bobby bin - leave it for a week or so and then uncurl gently. It will potentially leave a fold in the ribbon but as long as you aim to curl it around the straw on the current curl it should sit better.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Sandra

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2013, 06:24:44 PM »
I would be more careful with it than you would be with normal curling ribbon and I wouldnt get it wet if you could avoid it. However, you can try a simply dry set - carefully wind the ribbon around a straw and secure with a kirby grip/bobby bin - leave it for a week or so and then uncurl gently. It will potentially leave a fold in the ribbon but as long as you aim to curl it around the straw on the current curl it should sit better.

I totally didn't see your post before I decided to wet her hair. I did end up using a straw to wrap the ribbon around, but I wet the ribbon with some hot water before hand. It made it a lot softer and easier to work with. It doesn't look like I did any damage to it either. Thank goodness.

Offline Shenanigans

• Trade Count: (+73)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
She looks fantastic! You did a great job :D This pony is on my wish list so whenever I get her and if she has bad ribbons, I will definitely try your method out :) Thanks for sharing!
My Wish List

Offline blonde2themax

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
Amazing ;D!
Thanks Shenanigans for my sig & Sirithfin for my profile pic :D!
My Sales Page :D!http://mlparena.com/mlp/index.php/topic,319444.msg580218.html#msg580218
My G3 and Season Swap Wishlisthttp://mlparena.com/mlp/index.php/topic,327117.new.html#new

baby_yoyo

What a fantastic job! I'll have to give that a try!

mylittleponylover92

Well done! :D

I love a good restore, I shall try this with my anniversary pony! I have still got to get round to her since I've been restoring my entire childhood collection along with new ponies!

She looks beautiful! :)

Offline PitterPatter

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • Rhinos are just fat unicorns...
    • View Profile
That looks brilliant, I was thinking about doing this as I have one one the way to me whose ribbons need some love.  Well done ^_^

I would be more careful with it than you would be with normal curling ribbon and I wouldnt get it wet if you could avoid it.

Can I ask Hathorcat, why avoid getting it wet? Does it damage it, or make it more likely to damage it? I hadn't thought about what effect it might have if it were wet.

Offline josiekat

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • There's no such thing as a bait Bluebelle!
    • View Profile
She looks great!

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
First wow! It looks awesome! - congrats what a great job :)

Second...I suggested avoiding getting them wet as I have seen them ruined in the past and the metal coating pealing away from the backing :( But perhaps as they were not soaked in water and were quickly dried rather than being left it made a difference?
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal