collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 692
  • Dot Hidden: 1
  • Dot Users: 1

There aren't any users online.

Author Topic: Custom Question? Baking a pony?  (Read 2108 times)

AirBourne

• Trade Count: (0)
Custom Question? Baking a pony?
« on: February 12, 2012, 11:22:36 AM »
Hello, everyone! Sky again, with another question.
gosh I'm just filled with them

aaaanyways, I'm thinking of making a Pinkamena Diane Pie custom, and I'm making her dress out of clay. My only issue is, can I bake the dress onto the pony? And if so, how would I do that? And also, I want to keep her original hair in, so could I bake the pony with the hair still on it?

Thanks~

Offline LilSpark

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Taste the Rainbow!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Custom Question? Baking a pony?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2012, 11:35:59 AM »
Yes you can bake a pony with the clay on it. But put it onto a wooden board and not direktly onto the baking plate or the hooves will melt. Not sure if you can bake it with hair, I wouldn't recommend it.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

ZettaMomo

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2012, 11:47:52 AM »
The hair may burn a little if you bake her with the hair on, but she should be okay otherwise.
Also, if you have already started to paint her I would not suggest baking her. I made that mistake the other day and the paint cracked from the heat! I didn't think that through too well... I fixed it by popping the pony in the freezer and the cracks went away, but I would not suggest risking it.

Offline MrPony

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sweet Kisses Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2012, 11:56:52 AM »
Don`t ever bake a pony. Use a blow dryer on high heat very close to the surface for 3-4 minutes. It won`t hurt the hair either.

AirBourne

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2012, 11:59:38 AM »
I could possibly pop her head off, taking out her tail, and then bake her. Then put her back together again afterwords.

If not, I'm not sure that else I could do. I could maybe bake the dress onto an extra body? xD

Also, another question: I'm not very great at sculpting horns and wings. Does anypony know of someone who might be willing to send me some bait ponies? I'll pay them, obviously, but I need a set of wings and three horns. I'm only asking because it seems like a waste of money to buy ponies to only chop off their wings and horns, and then not use them again. xD

EDIT: Alright, I won't bake the pony. xD

PetiteTiger

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2012, 12:15:22 PM »
It's possible to bake a pony, but you have to be incredibly careful or things will go wrong very quickly!  Heat softens plastic--meaning both the pony and the hair, and while I don't think the temps would be hot enough to do much to the body, the hair could turn all kinds of horrible.

One thing you can do, especially since you don't plan on rehairing the pony, is to boil it!  Put it in a pot of boiling water for 5-7ish minutes and the sculpey should cure.  You should still be careful though; the vinyl will get malleable, you should probably comb the hair before it cools (but hey, it could straighten the hair for you!), and the sculpey will still be slightly soft when you first take it out.  I used a forceps to pull sculpey out once for a Vinyl Scratch, and her glasses ended up with a mark from it!  But as long as you take care to keep the pony in its original position, boiling is relatively safe.  Don't do it with a dehaired pony though; I had every single plug hole close up on a pony before.

ZettaMomo

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2012, 12:20:49 PM »
Don`t ever bake a pony. Use a blow dryer on high heat very close to the surface for 3-4 minutes. It won`t hurt the hair either.
Would the clay actually harden if you did that?

Butterscotch1

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2012, 01:58:42 PM »

aaaanyways, I'm thinking of making a Pinkamena Diane Pie custom, and I'm making her dress out of clay. My only issue is, can I bake the dress onto the pony? And if so, how would I do that? And also, I want to keep her original hair in, so could I bake the pony with the hair still on it?

Thanks~

I bake my Sculpey at 250, not the 275 that is recommended and have never had a problem baking it directly on a pony with hair still attached ( I usually wet the hair) and sitting it on a porcelain dinner plate to bake. They have all been G1 ponies and they were completely fine after they cooled. None of them have ever been damaged. I can't speak for  G2, G3 or G4 because I have never done on of them.

Offline Maniah

• This customizer is a proud pony hair licker!
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+74)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Little Custom Pony
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2012, 05:30:21 PM »

Thanks~

I bake my Sculpey at 250, not the 275 that is recommended and have never had a problem baking it directly on a pony with hair still attached ( I usually wet the hair) and sitting it on a porcelain dinner plate to bake. They have all been G1 ponies and they were completely fine after they cooled. None of them have ever been damaged. I can't speak for  G2, G3 or G4 because I have never done on of them.

I can vouch for the g3 ponies with this method. I have never seen a pony harmed from it but they do smell weird when baking. I have never left their hair in before though. 

Offline MrPony

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sweet Kisses Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2012, 10:23:06 AM »
Would the clay actually harden if you did that?

Yes. Try it. Every spot need heat and if the clay is not hard enough blow dry it some more. Baking a pony "can" work but why risk your work and your pony?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal