collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Deflocking- protecting eyes and symbols  (Read 1325 times)

Offline Leopard_Print_Unicorn

• New Wave pony on your Lisa Frank notebook
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Sales Thread:
Deflocking- protecting eyes and symbols
« on: February 11, 2012, 01:11:31 PM »
Well it looks like I'm stuck at home on FMLA again, this time with a herniated disk, so I thought it would be a great time to catch up on my deflocking.

I have read every tutorial out there, yet some of my early deflocks I still managed to smear or remove eyes, blush, or symbols. I used alcohol and acetone. Especially around the eyes and blush, it is so hard to get all the flocking and glue without going over the paint.

Any advice would be appreciated as to what you do to get your best looking deflocks with eyes, symbols, and blush intact.

I do have Jasco, and I've only tried it once on a little bit of stubborn flocking, so I don't know if it is safe for paint either.

Thanks!

Formerly known as ponyRN.

Offline HavACrumpet452

• Fakies R People 2
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
Re: Deflocking- protecting eyes and symbols
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2012, 01:33:27 PM »
Acetone is used to remove paint, why wouldn't it smear the symbols? I never knew people used it for deflocking. Jasco has been 99.9% safe for me except once when I had tried to clean a spot on the pony with toothpaste once and hadn't rinsed it well and I don't know if that's what did it but I took off a little paint on ss Lickety-Split's ice cream when the Jasco hit that spot. I don't know if it reacted with the toothpaste or what.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline LilSpark

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Taste the Rainbow!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2012, 01:42:38 PM »
I use pure acetone for deflocking. I pour it onto the flocking, put the pony into a zip lock bag and let it sit for a few minutes. Then I scratch it off with my nails. Around the eyes and symbols I do the same but with nail polish remover (with acetone). If you are careful and don't rub it off like crazy nithing will happen to the eyes and symbols :)

• Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Sales Thread:
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2012, 02:19:08 PM »
Acetone is used to remove paint, why wouldn't it smear the symbols? I never knew people used it for deflocking. Jasco has been 99.9% safe for me except once when I had tried to clean a spot on the pony with toothpaste once and hadn't rinsed it well and I don't know if that's what did it but I took off a little paint on ss Lickety-Split's ice cream when the Jasco hit that spot. I don't know if it reacted with the toothpaste or what.

Yeah, I was trying to keep the acetone away from the symbols and use the 91% alcohol there but the alcohol is not as effective at removing the flocking and glue. I think I will test the Jasco on a baity SS and see how it does.

Offline CrystalCrown

• Flamez o' Justice
  • Trade Count: (+38)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • You don't need a license to drive a sandwich!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2012, 04:23:02 PM »
someone (i dont remember who) said that eucalyptus oil is great for removing flocking and doesnt damage any paint/the plastic :)
:fox: :rainbow: F is for friends who do stuff together, U is for you and me! N is for anywhere and anytime at all down here in the deep blue sea!  :frog:

• Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Sales Thread:
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2012, 04:44:05 PM »
someone (i dont remember who) said that eucalyptus oil is great for removing flocking and doesnt damage any paint/the plastic :)

Yeah, I rememeber that thread. I just couldn't remember if it was a certainty that it was safe on eyes and symbols. I may go to Whole Foods and try to find some.

BTW, your icon makes me LOL!

Offline Calico_Star

• Trade Count: (+63)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2012, 10:45:26 AM »
You know, what I do is just put them in really hot oxy clean and scrape off the flocking/glue around the symbols and eyes with my nails. Not nearly as effective as acetone, but so far it's been working decently. It just might take a few rounds. (Let the pony dry completely between each round so you can see the spots you missed.) It takes off the flocking and, if you rub at it long enough, the glue will come off too, but I've yet to scratch the symbols that way. The place I have trouble with is around those darn hair plugs!

:heart: My Deviantart :heart: Commissions: Closed

Offline hlbmlp

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2012, 11:55:25 AM »
i let her soak in boiling water and then rubbed around they eyes with a sanded down skewer.  I was reaaaallly gentle... i just rub the flocking around the symbols with my fingers. It takes forever bbut i havent destroyed a bit of paint yet. 
My Etsy . My Blog

If i owe you feedback pm me, my brain is not always here.

thanks kiwisquirtbottle for helping with codes!!! <3

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal