collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Visiting England in a few months, any pony place I should visit?  (Read 883 times)

Offline WingedDragon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain Jack Pony
    • View Profile
    • tumblr
I barely ever left my home country, where almost nobody knows My Little Pony (before G4)
I think I will be spending a week or two for business. It is a pity that I never go there when Ponycon is active.

Do you recommend any local toy store, or Thrift Shop? I love loose G3 Ponies, the most.

Offline Barnacle_lady

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Visiting England in a few months, any pony place I should visit?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2024, 07:47:59 AM »
It depends a bit where you are in the UK to point out the thrift shops and car boot markets if its G3 you are after :)

Offline WingedDragon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain Jack Pony
    • View Profile
    • tumblr
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2024, 08:28:26 AM »
It depends a bit where you are in the UK to point out the thrift shops and car boot markets if its G3 you are after :)

@Barnacle_lady Thank you. I am not so sure yet. I absolutely need to visit London and Essex, but the rest is free.

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2024, 10:42:50 AM »
Yeah, I was going to say that you need to be more specific given different parts of the UK are pretty different and transport varies from reasonable to awful depending on where you are :)

I don't know Essex at all but I do know London and the edges of Surrey from living there while studying.

It depends on when you go but some bits of advice regarding this area:

Central London is basically useless for second hand ponies. It's not great for not second hand ponies either, honestly. You need to be in zone 3 or outwards (that will make sense if you look at a tube map).

There are some decent charity shops in the outer zones, but most areas of the UK will have those and whether they have ponies when you visit them or not is a bit hit and miss. I picked up quite a few pony items in Kingston and Tolworth (both zone 6 I think) but as I said, it's not a guarantee. Just that there are more in the outer zones.

Camden used to have a shop with old ponies (mostly G1) in the market but I think it's gone (at least my sister says it has).

A better bet for you - if you are going around the late spring/summer - is the carboot sale they have in Ewell  every sunday morning (when the weather is ok) from around April till October. It's in a big open event field. Putting the details in a spoiler tag so it doesn't spam up the post :D
Spoiler
I don't know if you plan on having a car while you're there and I can't give meaningful road directions anyway, but if you google the Hook Arena carboot sale it should come up. If using transport, you can get to it from central london by overground train (London Waterloo to Ewell West,  it's about 30 mins) then walk from the station (it's a pretty straight line from there). I used to get the bus (406) from Kingston but you'd need to get to Kingston first so I think it makes most sense to just get the train from Central London if you don't have a car.

In anycase, this is a very busy carboot sale in the summer. It also runs on bank holiday Mondays (of which there are 2 in May in the UK). You need to get there pretty early (no later than 8 or 8.30) since there are a lot of people looking for deals, but it's probably the best place in that area I can think of for ponies.
There are some other carboot sales on carparks in other parts of London - I remember one at a school in battersea, one at Hounslow West (?) tube station carpark and one in Pimlico (also at a school), all reachable by bus or tube...but the Ewell one is the one where I've seen the most ponies (including the occasional G1).
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal