collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Not feeling motivated at ALL :(  (Read 383 times)

Offline InkyMilk

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
Not feeling motivated at ALL :(
« on: January 17, 2013, 11:14:52 AM »
So, you know how artists say they look up to great artists to motivate themselves to do better? Well, I've tried to do that, I REALLY have. I admire their work, try to study what I can from their work and apply it to my own, etc. But honestly, more and more lately, when I see their work and I look at my own, it just doesn't motivate me at all. Quite the opposite, I feel like I should just give it all up entirely.

I know it's going to sound stupid, but I have been drawing since I was in preschool, it has always been one of my greatest sources of joy and passion and I've loved trying to get better. But looking at my work and where I am now, it's extremely embarrassing to say that as my work reflects someone who has only picked up a pencil maybe in the last year or so. I have been more and more determined lately to try new things, perspectives, digitally coloring and shading, backgrounds, because I know the only way to get better is to really push myself, but when I turn around and see a 13 year old pull off a masterpiece in Photoshop that I'm sitting here struggling to pull off in months on Sai, it sort of makes me sit back and wonder, why do I bother? Maybe if I never wanted to share my work it wouldn't be a problem, but I DO. Not because I want heaps of praise or mountains of fans, but because I love drawing for my fandoms and I like connecting with others with similar interests.

Sometimes I wonder if I'd have been happier going for an art degree like I had always wanted instead of switching to english. I know there are tons of self taught artists out there who are amazing, but maybe I just was never meant to be one of them and I need to face facts already. Do you guys think it would be less painful to just never share my work again?

Offline ApertureScience

• Forever Ouchy Roids
  • Trade Count: (+40)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Not feeling motivated at ALL :(
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2013, 11:25:33 AM »
I know how you feel; I did this once with my dream of being a writer and I compared myself to J.K. Rowling.  I actually got so envious that I started crying out of frustration.  But I kept doing it because I did like it and people often gave me good advice and feedback about how to make it better.  It's the same thing with customizing; mine suck while others do it like they were born to, but I press on because I enjoy it.

My vote is that you should continue doing it.  If you love it so much, it would be even more painful not to do it.  Everybody has to start somewhere; you can always ask your favorite artists for advice or maybe advise them to make tutorials so their fans can better their own skills.  And besides, you don't have to be Leonardo da Vinci to make good art, or come up with good ideas. :)

Also, I know around certain times of the year, catalogs are sent out listing different classes that are offered, mainly at universities but possibly elsewhere too.  You might be able to find an art class in those.

Offline Skelletonimp

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • www.typicaltish.webs.com
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2013, 12:46:36 PM »
I remember my drawing days... I started drawing since I was... Hmm... Well, as long as I can remember actually. A friend of mine also liked drawing, and he was always looking up to me, because he thought my work was amazing. Within a year he went from drawing like a 5 year old to drawing portraits that look like actual pictures. I was so jealous of him, and my worked looked like nothing compared to that.

I also have the same thing with modeling. I love doing it, I'm proud of myself when I look at my pictures, but when I see work from other models, I feel like I haven't accomplished anything.

But the most important thing for me is that I feel happy doing those things. And no matter how much better other people are, as long as I'm happy with what I'm doing :)

Offline ZennaBug

• Doodlebug Art/Adopts Mod
  • Trade Count: (+53)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • ZensDoodles Instagram
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2013, 04:26:54 PM »
Sometimes, it's tough to pick up that pencil.  Maybe you can try joining some of the ATC or avatar swaps we have in here, do something small and see if it jumpstarts your motivation?  I haven't drawn much this year either, I've been in an art slump as well.  *sigh*
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

:heart: Avi and Sig by me -  @ZensDoodles (Instagram) :heart:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal