collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Monster High Glue Seepage Thread  (Read 32377 times)

YellowCat

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Monster High Glue Seepage Thread
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2012, 02:13:32 PM »
My Wave 1 Lagoona, signature Abbey DOTD Clawdeen, SS B&W Frankie, Wave 1 Ghoulia (just a little bit) and Howleen all had glue seepage.  Clawdeen was the worst of the group and Ghoulia just had sticky roots at the back of her head.

All of them have normal feeling hair again after I washed their hair with Goo Gone Spray Gel, which is a citrus based cleaner.  It is oily when applied but washes out good with bar soap (I used plain yellow Dial soap).  Sometimes it takes a couple washings to get rid of all the glue- for example I washed Clawdeen's hair twice before it was glue free.

Offline dragonlady

• Master of Organized Chaos
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+191)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2012, 04:20:31 PM »
The dolls from my Skull Shores 5 pack were all made in Indonesia.

All but one of my 17 dolls (that have actual hair) are from Indonesia; 2 may have glue seepage but the rest seem fine. (knock on wood)

Offline saply

• Stupid Newbie
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+138)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • my star barrettes are FABULOUS
    • View Profile
    • ~*~tumblr~**~
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2012, 06:22:48 PM »
My Wave 1 Lagoona, signature Abbey DOTD Clawdeen, SS B&W Frankie, Wave 1 Ghoulia (just a little bit) and Howleen all had glue seepage.  Clawdeen was the worst of the group and Ghoulia just had sticky roots at the back of her head.

All of them have normal feeling hair again after I washed their hair with Goo Gone Spray Gel, which is a citrus based cleaner.  It is oily when applied but washes out good with bar soap (I used plain yellow Dial soap).  Sometimes it takes a couple washings to get rid of all the glue- for example I washed Clawdeen's hair twice before it was glue free.

Oh nooooo :( The Wave 1 dolls aren't even safe? I was hoping to get Signature Lagoona as my main Lagoona because her faceup is so pretty, but I'm too obsessive-compulsive to do it now.

Offline Chi

• Trade Count: (+64)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Shame on them, mistreating such lovely flowers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2012, 06:56:32 PM »
I've updated the second post with adhesive removers that can have a temporary resolution for the glue. If anyone has any tips regarding the glue or products, please let us know!
Still LF: Blue-haired G2 Ivy..Help me find my childhood friend!
Have you seen her? :awake:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

plague

« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2012, 07:05:40 PM »
My wave 1 Frankie (Indonesia) had it since I got her. It was more noticeable after I washed it with shampoo, though.. Just recently ended up re-hairing since the white parts were turning yellow.

Spectra's (Indonesia) hair is very good. No signs of it at all and I haven't washed her hair since getting her (around the same time as Frankie).

Cleo's (Indonesia) holding up pretty well, too. Only had her about a week and washed her hair once.

Both Rochelles I have had really greasy hair.. they were both used for customs so it wasn't really an issue. All the rest of my dolls are holding up pretty well for the time being. Seems like it's hit or miss since I heard that the ones from China were more susceptible?

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2012, 07:57:51 PM »
The problem is all these methods to remove the glue require you wash the hair out. It really is a pain if you are trying to keep the original hair style.
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline Catlein

• Pony of Law
  • Trade Count: (+59)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Canadian law student obsessed with MLP and MH :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2012, 09:43:00 PM »
I've updated the second post with adhesive removers that can have a temporary resolution for the glue. If anyone has any tips regarding the glue or products, please let us know!

I mentioned in the main thread, but I think my suggestion got swamped by all the other action. My SS Frankie had pretty bad seepage, and I used tea tree oil. It's a natural product that can remove adhesives. Her hair is not perfect, but I think it will be even better with another wash. Plus this stuff has the benefit of not being a super noxious chemical :)

The only other dolls I have with seepage are Toralei and Rochelle.

Okiedokieloki

« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2012, 12:27:01 AM »
My S1600 Cupid has it BAD. My boyfriend picked her up for me in April, but I didn't get to open her until July. Her hair was thick with glue right out of the box. It's sticky to the touch and clumps together.  :(

Are you sure it wasn't hair gel? 'Cause Sweet 1600 Cupid comes with a whole bunch of hair gel straight out of the box... It makes the hair stuck together in one big clump, and it comes out with some water.

THIS. He has very thick gel, wash it with shampoo THOROUGHLY and then let dry naturally, on a towel. If it is still very very thick with gunk, it will be seapage. Good luck! :)
x

I don't think it's gel, it doesn't feel like the gel that is in other dolls' hair. It's not hard at all, just kinda sticky all over. I'll try washing it sometime...thinking about taking the plunge and rehairing her at some point if it's a glue problem

Offline Icecrystalline

• Guardian of Dreams
  • Trade Count: (+128)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • No longer active.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2012, 06:51:01 AM »
Okie: oh! I read cupid as clawd, and his hair is super thick with gel, as for cupid, I really don't know :huh: xxx

Offline PandaBerryInSpace

• Trade Count: (+72)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2012, 09:51:09 AM »
Okie: oh! I read cupid as clawd, and his hair is super thick with gel, as for cupid, I really don't know :huh: xxx

Sweet 1600 Cupid has hair gel as well... It's the "basic" version that doesn't. But if it's not gel, then it might be glue...

Avatar art by January Joy, siggy art by DreamCatcher! Thank you so much! <3

ACNL FC: 3754 6763 3133

Offline Ravie

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • That's So Ravie
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2012, 12:25:25 PM »
So far:

Wave 1 Frankie (had it since I got her) has it bad
Wave 1 Lagoona has it minorly despite the number of times she's been boiled
Wave 1 Clawdeen is just starting to show signs - i haven't checked my other one

GB Draculaura came down with an aweful case of a sudden
GB Frankies - both mine and my sister's came down with beginning stages

These are the ones i know 100% for sure and I've had them all 1-2 years, only Frankie 1.0 has always had it but the others it's recent

I'm going to try and get some baby powder with talc to help the ones with the minor signs.

Baby Oil - gets the glue out but it leaves the hair oily after washing even with dish soap. I plan on trying to wash it again to see if that helps but it removed all the glue...win/lose x_x

Offline Chi

• Trade Count: (+64)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Shame on them, mistreating such lovely flowers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2012, 12:56:04 PM »

I mentioned in the main thread, but I think my suggestion got swamped by all the other action. My SS Frankie had pretty bad seepage, and I used tea tree oil. It's a natural product that can remove adhesives. Her hair is not perfect, but I think it will be even better with another wash. Plus this stuff has the benefit of not being a super noxious chemical :)

Was it just the pure oil? Or a shampoo with the oil? I know that's also really healthy for the scalp so that could be quite a wonderful possible solution!
Still LF: Blue-haired G2 Ivy..Help me find my childhood friend!
Have you seen her? :awake:

Offline Catlein

• Pony of Law
  • Trade Count: (+59)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Canadian law student obsessed with MLP and MH :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2012, 01:46:33 PM »

Was it just the pure oil? Or a shampoo with the oil? I know that's also really healthy for the scalp so that could be quite a wonderful possible solution!

I used tea tree oil dish soap and shampoo (two different products) first, and it helped, but the pure oil made the biggest dent :)

Offline NoDivision

• I am vengeance, I am the night!
  • Trade Count: (+67)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • No Division Customs
« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2012, 01:57:11 PM »
supposedly all of the dolls from the Gloom Beach 5-pack are very prone to it (I can attest that Cleo from the pack certainly is at least), which makes sense given their price point and that they were likely rush-manufactured to meet demand.

I only have Gloom Beach Ghoulia from that line, and she doesn't have any seepage. I bring it up to ask: I wonder if she was done differently due to being ONLY available in the 5-pack?
Ghoulia is the only girl from this set that did not come out of the box with oily hair. My frankie from this set had horrible glue seepage, and Ghoulia is still perfectly fine. It is possible that may be because she was manufactured later, as the other girls are all re-boxes. So either she was made later and it mgiht stil lhappen in time, or she was made differently and might be safe.

Offline saply

• Stupid Newbie
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+138)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • my star barrettes are FABULOUS
    • View Profile
    • ~*~tumblr~**~
« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2012, 05:55:18 PM »
supposedly all of the dolls from the Gloom Beach 5-pack are very prone to it (I can attest that Cleo from the pack certainly is at least), which makes sense given their price point and that they were likely rush-manufactured to meet demand.

I only have Gloom Beach Ghoulia from that line, and she doesn't have any seepage. I bring it up to ask: I wonder if she was done differently due to being ONLY available in the 5-pack?
Ghoulia is the only girl from this set that did not come out of the box with oily hair. My frankie from this set had horrible glue seepage, and Ghoulia is still perfectly fine. It is possible that may be because she was manufactured later, as the other girls are all re-boxes. So either she was made later and it mgiht stil lhappen in time, or she was made differently and might be safe.
Maybe the oil in saran helps the glue flow through the plugs easier, and kanekalon is better at plugging them up?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal