collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: 2015 Plushie Swap! All done! :)  (Read 17307 times)

Offline Skeen

• Not actually Captain Janeway
  • Trade Count: (+79)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
Re: 2015 Plushie Swap! SIGN UPS OPEN
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2014, 10:21:33 PM »
Minky is AWESOME.  It's a bit stretchy, and the stuff at Joann Fabrics is even moreso, but it's easy to get the hang of.  If it gives you trouble, you could try a walking foot/plaid matcher for your machine.  I have one and it's the best thing I've ever gotten for my machine.  Makes sewing minky blankets a snap!

Offline Tilas

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+76)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
    • Shilo.ca
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2014, 10:06:21 AM »
What's the best fabric to sew with?  Minky is so soft, but is it easy to sew?  I have worked with fleece a ton and I love it, but I really want to make something soft and awesome.  :)

Minky is... decent to sew. It can be very temperamental, and has a lot of stretch so you need to be very watchful of your pile direction. I use it all the time, and while I love minky, sometimes I want to just burn it because it can be frustrating lol. It likes to slide, so you'll need tons of pins. It's worth it though for the final look and feel. There is a definite learning curve with minky, and every color has it's own personality for some reason! A good place to get minky is www.fabric.com and they do ship international.

Offline CoonhoundBetty

• Skeen's Minion
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • SAHM/Wife of an artist/word nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2014, 10:10:18 AM »
and it sheds.......god the shedding!

Wondering if you sandwiched the minky between tissue paper would make it less slippery, easier to feed into the machine?

Offline Mirnyj

• Siamese PurrPony
  • Trade Count: (+38)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • A house is not a home without a siamese cat
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (in finnish)
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2014, 10:16:16 AM »
I'm definitely in, I'll send the form in when I have found my form-filling energy.  :P
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

instagram ~ facebook ~ online store

Offline Tilas

• Arena Supporter
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
    • Shilo.ca
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2014, 02:46:57 PM »
and it sheds.......god the shedding!

Wondering if you sandwiched the minky between tissue paper would make it less slippery, easier to feed into the machine?

Probably worse, because it's when 2 pieces of minky are pressed together is what slips. Just used a ton of pins. ...though when it comes to embroidering minky, using stabilizer top and bottom is a must.

And yes, minky is horrible for shedding so be sure to clean your machine often!

Offline Skeen

• MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2014, 03:08:47 PM »
See, I never use top stabilizer on my embroidery.  We have the same machine, right?  SE-400?  I just buy those 8x8 pre-cut squares and spray on some adhesive.  What kind do you use?  I have found that if I'm having problems with my embroidery I either loaded the bobbin backwards or I forgot to change to a needle with a bigger eye.  I have done both an embarrassingly high number of times.  -_- 

Seriously, the best advice I have for sewing with minky is the plaid matcher/walking foot.  It feeds the top fabric at the same time as the feed dogs grab the bottom fabric so both layers go through the presser foot at the same time.  I still pin like crazy though.  Can't be too careful with minky.  ;) 

Offline Karma

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
    • The Unofficial My Little Pony Museum
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2014, 04:52:25 PM »
I've often said I need a clean room for when I work with Minky.

Offline CoonhoundBetty

• Skeen's Minion
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • SAHM/Wife of an artist/word nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2014, 05:31:28 PM »
I just bought new pins (the huge long ones!) because you can never have enough.

With minky, I use a top stabilizer--the one that washes away, I think it makes a lot of difference (I have the PE770). I never wash it, though, I just press a hot, wet washcloth on it. It's like magic :) My 5yo loves to watch.

I am curious about the foot you're talking about--I want to get a few different feet, and the walking one might have to go on the list ;)

Check out my machine after last Christmas' sewing marathon:

LOL

Offline Skeen

• MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2014, 06:13:35 PM »
LOL  That's pretty much what my entire floor looks like right now.  I just decided to wait til I'm done with everything before vacuuming, because I'll just find another tumbleweed of minky fluff the second I put the sweeper away.

The walking foot I have will fit your PE770, I think.  It's a Brother model number and it just goes on in place of your normal presser foot.  It uses the needle shaft to work the arm that presses the teeth down.  I saved the packaging so I'll check it out and let you know. 

Offline ZennaBug

• Doodlebug Art/Adopts Mod
  • Trade Count: (+53)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • ZensDoodles Instagram
« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2014, 08:55:50 PM »
I am pretty sure that already own a walking foot. I've used it for quilting. And if not, my mom does I know. I can always use her machine. I may try to whip up a quick plush with fleece to make sure I have the right idea before I try with a more challenging fabric lol.

:heart: Avi and Sig by me -  @ZensDoodles (Instagram) :heart:

Offline Skeen

• MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2014, 09:30:09 PM »
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001UYSI8G/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Walking foot.  Which is actually a plaid matcher.  It does fit the PE770, but isn't that model an embroidery-only machine?  You wouldn't use it for that, just for sewing.

Offline ZennaBug

• Doodlebug Art/Adopts Mod
  • Trade Count: (+53)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • ZensDoodles Instagram
« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2014, 10:14:25 PM »
Yeah, that's the one. I know I've used them for quilting at my grandma's house and my mom's house. I just don't know if my own sewing machine has one. It's a hand me down and I haven't used it much lol. I think I remember a walking foot being in the box of random stuff my mother in law gave me with the machine, but I can't remember for sure.

:heart: Avi and Sig by me -  @ZensDoodles (Instagram) :heart:

Offline rosierjay

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+152)
  • MOC Mimic
  • you can call me Rosier
    • View Profile
    • Customs and stuff i'm selling
« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2014, 10:23:06 PM »
how did i not see this earlier?!?!

all my examples are at home. so i'll be applying later tonight.

Offline Tilas

• Arena Supporter
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
    • Shilo.ca
« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2014, 10:40:46 AM »
See, I never use top stabilizer on my embroidery.  We have the same machine, right?  SE-400?  I just buy those 8x8 pre-cut squares and spray on some adhesive.  What kind do you use?  I have found that if I'm having problems with my embroidery I either loaded the bobbin backwards or I forgot to change to a needle with a bigger eye.  I have done both an embarrassingly high number of times.  -_- 

PE770, the big brother to the 400. I use stabilizer on top because if I don't, the minky fluff will show through the stitching. It also helps keep the material from moving in the hoop. I think the difference is that with yours, a square 4X4 hoop holds much more steady than a rectangle 5X7 hoop will. More surface area means more to shift around. I use Sulky cut away (or sticky if I can get it) on the bottom and tear away on the top. 

As for needles I use Brother needles that I bought in a box of 100. I've never had to change them because of the eye size, I only ever use the one type, though I switch out the needle often because they dull SO fast. Are you using different types of thread? I am strictly madiera for the embroidery thread and brother brand bobbin thread. I found the machine does not like ANYTHING but the official brother bobbin thread.

Offline Skeen

• MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2014, 01:25:43 PM »
Ah, I had considered the 770 but I needed a sewing machine too so I went with the 400.  My hoop isn't a square though, it's actually something like a 6x5 rectangle.  It only sews 4x4 but the hoop itself is surprisingly large.  I got a small 2x3 hoop for tiny bits but haven't used it yet.  I buy 8x8 precut tear away squares on Amazon, I think it's about $8 for 100 of them. 

I only use large-eyed needles when I use metallic or plastic embroidery thread, like for glitter symbols or TE's.  It's supposed to keep it from breaking but what would really help is if I could set the stitch speed slower.  My needles never seem to dull but I do change them fairly frequently. I just buy the Dritz ones from one of the local sewing shops.  Depends on what I'm working on for what size/tip I use.  I use whatever thread is the color I need, mostly rayon or polyester, with cotton for sewing.  The machine doesn't care what I toss in the bobbin case, though I match my bobbin and top threads just because.  Actually, my machine doesn't seem to care what I use or ask it to do so long as I drop my bobbin in right - I've done it backwards plenty and then it pulls up through the top of the embroidery.  You'd think I'd know by now.  I still have the original spool of bobbin thread that came with the machine.  I don't know if I've ever used it.  I usually get my emb thread online in giant spools and they last quite a while (except black and white, I go through a lot of those).  It's poly, but I like the sheen on rayon better and have a lot of smaller spools I've gotten locally.

Bobbin caps are the best things ever though. 

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal