collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Round robin deco vol. 2 - arrived!  (Read 8147 times)

Offline dashesndots

• Trade Count: (+86)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • My facebook Art page
Re: Gauging interest: round robin deco vol. 2
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2013, 11:50:58 PM »
I'd be interested if you could put me towards the middle or bottom of the list :D

Sounds like a lot of fun!  Will PM form...

Offline MikeysGrrrl

• Penguin Snuggle Pony
  • Trade Count: (+95)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Whatever you become, be an amazing one!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2013, 12:46:53 AM »
WooHoo Dashes is coming aboard the Deco train :cheer:

We've got plenty of time for more people to join, this is going to be fun :)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Griffin

• Trade Count: (+89)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • aka Haawan | she/her
    • View Profile
    • Haawan Pony Customs
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2013, 12:59:11 AM »
Thanks all for the sign-ups so far, I have updated the list!

Five slots still remain, at max. There is no clear-cut limit, I'd just rather not take more than ten as the deco would get thick and heavy and also the last signers would need to wait for a long time.

Maybe someone can start a deco of their own if there's high demand... ;)

deviantART | Haawan Pony Customs | Aithne reference
Avatar by FizzyScrumptious, signature by tailrustedtealeaf - thank you ♥

Offline Marigold

• Vivaldi's Seasons Pony
  • Trade Count: (+103)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Liver and Onions
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2013, 01:11:39 AM »
I'm tempted by this. 

Offline UrocyonFox

• Zombie BBE Pony
  • Trade Count: (+142)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • Urocyonfox's Artwork
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2013, 01:39:41 AM »
seeming how I am a greedy pony art collector I would totally start my own book to collect more art from pony artists!!! mwa ha ha ha

Offline Marigold

• Vivaldi's Seasons Pony
  • Trade Count: (+103)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Liver and Onions
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2013, 01:59:22 AM »
seeming how I am a greedy pony art collector I would totally start my own book to collect more art from pony artists!!! mwa ha ha ha

I like the idea of doing that too.

Offline MikeysGrrrl

• Penguin Snuggle Pony
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2013, 02:01:33 AM »
That is a good idea as well :)

Offline Cron Sacchariferous

• Trade Count: (+140)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Cities in Dust
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2013, 02:05:53 AM »
So exciting! can't wait to doodle, haven't done it in awhile. :P Consider this page bookmarked!

Offline Griffin

• aka Haawan | she/her
    • View Profile
    • Haawan Pony Customs
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2013, 03:05:13 AM »
Yay, more people!

I've been swapping decos and other booklets since I was twelve. It has really become kind of a lifestyle for me by now... even without decos I would be drawing and crafting, and since I sometimes struggle coming up with themes to draw, decos offer some nice ideas and starting points. Of course there is a downside - I mostly draw for decos and ATCs and I hardly ever have the time or energy to draw anything to keep. :P Oh well, at least the decos I make for myself should return one day. I make them quite often for other people, though. If any of you gets excited about the idea (beyond pony related themes) and would like to know more, I'm always happy to help. ;)

I think I need to get working soon now that there are so many slots taken already... If I can decide which pony to put on the cover!

Offline Cron Sacchariferous

• Trade Count: (+140)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Cities in Dust
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2013, 07:46:29 AM »
@ Griffin,

What kind of paper grade is the notebook? Can we use more than one page to art on if we like? :3

Sokkis

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2013, 05:04:12 PM »
Oh this is going to be so much fun! I need to start doodle some ponies, I haven't drawn anything for a while... :D

Offline Griffin

• aka Haawan | she/her
    • View Profile
    • Haawan Pony Customs
« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2013, 06:24:40 PM »
@ Griffin,

What kind of paper grade is the notebook? Can we use more than one page to art on if we like? :3

It will be handmade, I typically use regular copy paper (20-22 lb?) and something more sturdy for the covers. I have tons of old handouts from school that I like to recycle :'D But I guess I'll skip them this time and use clean paper for this one. Since there are so many interested in this I'll only reserve one page for each, otherwise it'll likely get pretty bulky towards the end of the journey. Some deco makers use heavier or some fancy paper for the pages, too, but I don't think that's necessary. Copy paper is usually strong enough and allows you to glue more stuff onto it before getting too thick. :D  If you're planning to do a handdrawn/painted entry, I recommend that you work on a separate sheet of paper that you then glue onto the page, especially if you want to use watercolour or other wet media. Just to avoid any accidents... 

Typically with decos, decorating one page is the norm and often the pages are numbered, which kind of suggests you're only supposed to do one page, although sometimes you may decide to do a whole spread - especially if there is no numbering on the pages and if you fee like you need more space for your idea to work, or if the deco is old and has still many pages left and you feel like it should be filled faster. Without assigned participants they do travel quite a while, up to ten years even, although around 2-4 years is perhaps the average.

Offline MikeysGrrrl

• Penguin Snuggle Pony
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2013, 06:30:24 PM »
I can't believe how quickly these spots are filling up  ^.^ This is going to be so much fun, I can't wait to get started :)

They typically travel 2-4 years? Wow :shocked: That's such a long time, it must pass through so many people, I really do love the idea of this and until I read this thread I had never heard of this before. What have I been missing out on?

Offline Griffin

• aka Haawan | she/her
    • View Profile
    • Haawan Pony Customs
« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2013, 08:03:44 PM »
^ Well, generally there are no time limits and since the booklets aren't tracked in any way they could end up anywhere. Some never return. That's part of the fun, though - to see where they have travelled. I admit that I myself often hold onto them for way too long, months even. :blush: I just have so many waiting to be signed, currently about 30 and that's a low count for me, I've been up to 60... This year I've been decoing like crazy and also tried to keep track of the time they spend here by writing down the arrival date in pencil. That way I can prioritize those that have been here for too long, or just pass them if it looks like I still have no inspiration after all that time. (Understandably, decos with more difficult themes tend to lie around the longest...)

I also take less pressure with booklets that are made for & by my friends, as many of my Finnish swap pals are just as slow as me. :D I guess it's a common problem especially for people who do handdrawn/painted entries. Making collages and using printed pictures etc. is much quicker. Personally I prefer quality over quantity - I'd rather have everyone take a few months and make pretty entries instead of just slapping some stuff together without any imagination or creativity in order to be quick. It's not a contest... as long as the booklets are safe and are taken care of and returned eventually, I don't care how long they travel. Some might think differently though. I've had some arguments about this with people... I do agree with them in that it's polite to try and be as quick as possible. My "possible" is just defined a bit differently as theirs. :P 

However, with this one I actually want to be sure the deco gets back, hence all the limits and requirements. Like said, I will give you more time if you need it! As long as you keep me updated about the situation. It was pretty disheartening last time, to have the deco disappear before it reached the third person.  :( Not even so much to me, but to all the excited people who were waiting to sign a page, just like you all now. 

Offline Griffin

• aka Haawan | she/her
    • View Profile
    • Haawan Pony Customs
Re: Round robin deco vol. 2 - full!
« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2013, 04:11:58 AM »
Hey guys, sorry I've kept you waiting! I was away until Tuesday but managed to start on the deco before I left, and today I was able to finish it. Here are some pictures!

Took a picture of the inner cover and first page to show you what to expect. Every page is numbered and has your Arena username on it. I added some more basic instructions, mainly a little summary of the questions & answers that have come up in this thread so far. As far as style goes, there is really no way to do it right or wrong. :) I've seen entries covered in ribbons and glitter and rhinestones and sticker borders, very elaborate. And I've seen (& done) entries that are pretty much just a drawing glued onto the page, with only my name added. So whatever feels right to you!

I'll PM everyone with the addresses in a minute. Here's the finalized order of participants:
1. UrocyonFox (US)
2. MikeysGrrrl (Canada)
3. Cron Sacchariferous (US)
4. Tsukikakushi (US)
5. dashesndots (US)
6. Imialani (Finland)
7. Oniontart (Finland)
8. Sokkis (Finland)
9. Marigold (US)
10. Haine (Finland)

I'm sorry some people will have to pay more for shipping than others, especially those towards the end who need to mail overseas. Alternating US-Fin would have made it more even but I don't know if it's really sensible to fly it over the Atlantic several times and add to the waiting time. :P   

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal