collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Killy's non MLP art thread  (Read 13458 times)

Arkillian

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Killy's art thread try 2
« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2012, 03:48:00 AM »
Zeth Gant was designed to be the son of Damon Gant, one of my favourite bad guys in Ace Attorney

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

(Sorry I picked the creepy sprite T.T )

Zeth's hair became 2 tone cause his father's is sorta, and I thought it'd be cool to have two tone hair. He has glasses which are tinted like his father does, the same creepy blink (and clap- he has a mad as clap XD ), and some other habits as well as a goatee to mimic Gant's beard. I softened Gant up alot though for his son :) Zeth has actually become somewhat famous in the fandom circle actually. I had no idea till I printed that comic. People I didn't know were buying it O.o YIKES! Lurkers scare me when they do that XD A few people have asked me what game he was in too XD Lol. I guess I did a good job on him :) He was a bit of a fluke though. I dont' always get that kind of luck.

It's funny- I posted his initial concept sketch and someone mentioned that they liked my 'skunk guy', and well, I love skunks so it became his official nick name XD He started off with a very bland personality too. He evolved really quickly though to this crazy double crosser XD

His girlfriend Sarah is a bit interesting. Her original concepts were themed 'Snow rabbit', but no mater how I drew her, I hated my results. The linked concept was the best out of the worst :/ I had some REALLY terrible concepts. IT was so uninspiring XD Then I changed her theme to Queen of Hearts to link with Zeth (who is Ace of spades). I came up with this outfit, and desided that I loved the design, but not the colour. The final colours ended up like this. She has hearts all over her make up, and her hair makes a spade shape, while her boots are the leg of the spade :) Heh... and the head phones were a poke at Vocaloid, cause Sarah is actually deaf. XD

The wedding outfit is this crazy thing I thought up where Sarah has different personas for her outfits. Her model persona has white hair, while her black haired persona is an infiltrator. She also has a red haired version which is the one she wears to get away from it all. She use to have red hair, so it's the closest to who she was before 'the incident'. She also have a pink haired verskion with a bob, that's her ditzy blond persona XD

Sarah with her 'pretend boyfriend' Alexander Kraus. Kraus is another interesting character. I've never really drawn him right though. He's a millionaire playboy that moonlights as a prosecutor for crime family related cases. He's German by birth. His character use to have no conscience, but I've since toned him right back to a mellow. Most art I have posted of him doesn't reflect this anymore :( His relationship with Sarah is a relationship of convenience though. It's.... a complex one. Yeah... that describes it well O.o He's in a comic I'm working on now, or a more modern version of him is.

Um- all for now. I need to go to bed T.T

CrystalLance

« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2012, 11:20:37 AM »
These new ones of Zeth are pretty cool and, though I'm not overly familiar with Phoenix Wright, I thought he looked Kinda like "that guy in the orange" lol I fail. You've done a great job making them look related and omg I love his nickname! Skunk guy is fantastic! I also really like his girl! She looks like a foxy lady and her design is spiffy. It's funny, how we can struggle with a concept but as soon as you go 'meh, trying something new' boom! The inspiration fairy comes back to visit XD.

lol, but that's awesome that you have lurkers buying, congrats!

Thoth

« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2012, 05:56:24 PM »
Cool! I have tried to make a comic book type thing, though I never get past two or three pages. I happen to have a thread going in here as well. I can, unfortunately, draw stuff that looks really cool but I am terrible at real animals or realistic humans without any reference. I specialize in Star Wars and Bionicle stuff, though the only Star Wars thing I have down to an artistic science are....clone troopers. I can make really cool water color pencil owls and such.

Arkillian

« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2012, 09:25:55 PM »
These new ones of Zeth are pretty cool and, though I'm not overly familiar with Phoenix Wright, I thought he looked Kinda like "that guy in the orange" lol I fail. You've done a great job making them look related and omg I love his nickname! Skunk guy is fantastic! I also really like his girl! She looks like a foxy lady and her design is spiffy. It's funny, how we can struggle with a concept but as soon as you go 'meh, trying something new' boom! The inspiration fairy comes back to visit XD .

lol, but that's awesome that you have lurkers buying, congrats!

Lol- the guy in the orange XD Damon Gant is cool. He's a manipulator. He screws around with evidence and all sorts to get what he wants XD I had to make a story with him in it ^^ Skunk guy was TOTALLY unexpected too O.O I just roll with it. Skunk guy? I'm cool with that. Zeth is so mellow that he'd think it's a compliment even though it's usually said as an insult to him XD

I find that concepts should flow like water. IF the water isn't flowing for reason, then take a step back and find out where it stopped lowing and move on. So often we get bogged down with minor things. I often find sleeping on a problem helps too. I get alot of great ideas while not trying so hard to figure it out. Like in the shower, in bed, or driving :)

Lurkers do surprise me. I wish more would speak up though. I like to know if people like my work. Not getting a response is kinda sad. Getting sales despite that doesn't make it any better. There's people out there following me that wont financially support me. How many? I'll never know :( Might be 1 person or 100. Oh well, that's the joy of audience XD

Cool! I have tried to make a comic book type thing, though I never get past two or three pages. I happen to have a thread going in here as well. I can, unfortunately, draw stuff that looks really cool but I am terrible at real animals or realistic humans without any reference. I specialize in Star Wars and Bionicle stuff, though the only Star Wars thing I have down to an artistic science are....clone troopers. I can make really cool water color pencil owls and such.

I wondered if that was your style inspiration :) I assume the clone wars stuff? It's a pretty cool style.

Realistic stuff isnt' as hard as you might think. Realism is what all cartoon art is based off primarily and all artists should know realism to a certain degree. Realism / lineart realism is something I've always done. I jump between cartoon and realism alot cause realism in comics isnt' so great. IT's just another art style in the end though (a more developed one), and it's good to practise cause it solidifies all other styles.

Donno if anyone is interested, but a few years ago I did an art improvement meme

It shows how I've progressed over the years XD Yeah- I use to draw DBZ :3 I never drew muscles before that XD IT was great to get me into it XD

This is all old now of course, but still :) I still have my old art from when I was 7 too. It's kinda sweet to look at it ^^ I use to draw alot of my dolls and game art. I still lol at my old Sonik the hedgehog and 'Zelda' fanart XD

Offline Lina

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Bananas!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 04, 2012, 10:34:33 AM »
lovely characters - and i'm incredibly impressed by your progress!

my wishlist || my sales || thanks to myself for my avi :P and SDS for sig! || Candy Gloss || Asteria
~ I need SHS baits! PM me with offers if you have! ~

Thoth

« Reply #35 on: February 04, 2012, 12:20:33 PM »
I am indeed influenced by the fully CGI animated Clone Wars series. Bad thing is, when its on TV, I am already asleep! I am glad to know that being super-realistic isn't super important. It's a big relief.

Arkillian

« Reply #36 on: February 04, 2012, 07:49:24 PM »
lovely characters - and i'm incredibly impressed by your progress!

Thanks ^^ I donno if you saw the full picture though. It still shrinks it heaps zoomed in O.o

http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2010/001/b/a/Arkillian__s_art_Meme_by_Arkillian.jpg <- Use this to see the full version on it. You can read the writing too XD The progress was over a VERY long time as I've been drawing since I was 7. Funnily enough though, 2009 was when I first started to learn to colour. I did alot of study between now and then and I'm starting to get decently coloured pictures finally so I've improved alot since 2009. My improvements are subtle now days, btu still there :)

For instance, this is 2011 for me. SO much more colour than in that art improvement meme. I use to work primarily with graphite, and cause of that, I rarely had the courage to add bold colours. I have dropped doing digital colour though. I don't enjoy it, and it doesn't work with how I work with figuring out colour. It's not natural to me. I adopted coloured pencils and copics into my armada as they were easier for me to learn with.

I am indeed influenced by the fully CGI animated Clone Wars series. Bad thing is, when its on TV, I am already asleep! I am glad to know that being super-realistic isn't super important. It's a big relief.

Recorders are essential for this :) My friends use to watch Inuyasha this way. My friend would tape a weeks worth of inuyasha, and we'd watch all of them on fridays.

Super realistic isn't important, but the closer you resemble reality, the less suspension of disbelief you need to get absorbed into the art. IF you can stylise a picture and still make it look 3D and like a human, then people will accept the weirdest modifications to human form ever. My 'comic' art isn't realistic. Realistic artists look at my art and call it anime. They're not too far from the truth. I enlarge and shrink alot of proportions. My proportions are off anyway cause of my glasses so if I can get away with poking fun at the rules then anyone can. I see all sorts of stylistic choices in art. The clone wars style is all about geometric lines. Nature doesn't have perfect lines, but the clone wars style gets away with it cause the artist knows true proportions and plays on that knowledge. The human mind makes up the rest. The human mind is a wonderful thing. It lies alot, but it's still awesome :)

Offline Lina

• Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Bananas!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 05, 2012, 02:53:21 AM »
Thanks ^^ I donno if you saw the full picture though. It still shrinks it heaps zoomed in O.o

i saw it, sort of, but now i can see it better. :silly: and it leaves me even more impressed. ^^
but it also shows that you don't get where you are now without practice. i bet that was hard work and i bow to that!

my wishlist || my sales || thanks to myself for my avi :P and SDS for sig! || Candy Gloss || Asteria

Arkillian

« Reply #38 on: February 05, 2012, 04:07:51 AM »
Depends on your definition of hard work. I always loved drawing. I use to hoard old cereal boxes and school books to draw in. When Mum bought me my first sketch book it was like GOLD to me. I used everything I could get my hands on to draw with. I did that ill I was about 13 or so years old. That's a good 5 or so years of screwing around just having fun. Getting use to the medium. I think screwing around with a medium is SO important. HAVE FUN. Don't think you'll make the Venus de Milo or something in your first year. You can do it- it's possible, but the fun way is to burn off some steam and just draw. When you're sick of doing it for fun and want to get serious, then you'll REALLY get serious. When I was about 16, I dropped after school cartoons, and I'd draw all afternoon. Only stopping to eat. No joke. Internet wasn't really around back then, and it was dial up if you had it. No Deviantart, nothing. I'd do a full A4 picture a night. I wasn't trying or anything, I just used correct proportions and I used it alot. I got to the point that don't linearts took little to no time. Not all my art was great, but I generally finished most of it. If I didn't, I still kept it. Anything on my mind came out as art. If you look through my art folder, you can see my movement of puberty hitting me with a tone of bricks. My thoughts, inspirations. It wasn't till internet came along that I ever got an expectation of myself.

The internet is a poison in some ways to new artists. They pick up a pencil expecting to become a pro artist if they copy one for long enough, but all that does is make you look like them. Every man and woman on this planet has artistic talent. All they need to do is let out a bit of steam and get themselves to the point where they WANT to improve. When  they do, then they'll seek out ways of getting better and will make the necessary training to get there. I see alot of artists on the net that ask for critique that haven't got to that stage yet. Some people can take alot longer than others to reach that stage where natural talent isn't enough to progress further with art. I took 5 years to get there. Maybe even longer. When I got there though I studied hard, but I loved every bit of it.

I think the big difference is mindset. I never had to learn how to use the creative side of my brain. I just drew for 5 years without worrying about getting better- just enjoying the process. That is such an important step with art. What that is doing is stopping the logical side of the brain from distracting the normally quiet creative side. The creative side doesn't talk our listen. It senses shapes and colours and relationships. It's creative. It collects emotions. It's the part of us that makes sense of things around us, and that part of your mind is SO powerful. It basically can already draw if you ask it to. The way that I've learnt abotu it is that the logical side of the brain goes 'That's an eye. Eyes are oval shaped.' This is true, but lazy. It's the 'retarded' right side of the brain that filled in the gaps and says 'Well, no. You're wrong. It has this shape and it curves here, and it has a sheen here...' It's why aspergers children, and children that have problems socially respond very well to music and creative stimulus. Their logical social side of their brain may be behind, but their creative side is bubbling full of action. Anyways, if you try to learn art without being in a creative frame of mind, it can be a task to do. You'll likely hate every minute of it. As soon as you go into creative mode though, your hand is happy to draw creases in your hand as long as it's not a boring straight line or plain curve.

This book has exercises for unlocking your ability to use the creative side of the brain. I tried alot of exercises in this, apparently they can hurt if you're not trained to do them but I didn't notice. I assume if I wasn't capable of right siding my mindset then I could get a headache trying it.  I learnt alot from this book about stuff I already knew, but also why it was important to know. I'd recommend it to people, but I don't think many of the artists that post here have the patience to learn how to draw with the right side of their brain. It's not a put down to them. Art should be fun- ALWAYS, but this book isn't about learning to draw. It's about learning to see, and most artists don't want that till they plateau out and can't improve any more. [size=78%]http://drawright.com/gallery.htm[/size] <- This gallery has links of before and after art of people that did this art course in this book.  There are AMAZING results, and it's not magic. All that happened is that they learned how to look at the world around them and what they were drawing. Some where already pretty good, but they all became much better after the course.

Sorry, I'm rambling again. I hope I don't sound conceited or anything about art... I just have alot I can rant about with art. I see so many artists who do it wrong... just generally. I see them all struggling, but I know that I can't give them help unless they want it. We have a fragile pride. Art is like observing the heart of the artist. Seeing who they are. It's like reading a personal diary. To critique and artist, is like telling them that their life is lived wrongly. It's hard to live virtuously. As long as we're happy though, we don't have to be perfect :) Art isn't about perfection, but it's about telling a story. I'd rather people focus on that and not worry about improvement than get all wound up about tutorials.
[/size]
[/size]Tired journal is tired.

Arkillian

« Reply #39 on: February 13, 2012, 06:54:21 PM »

Is there a rule saying that you have to post a new thread for new art on this site? It's only been a week and I'm having to bump my thread to show people it still exists even though  it's not that old.

Anyways, I'm still around, I'm just working on an Ace Attorney comic at the moment. It's a romance / mystery comic  between Mia and Diego for those that know the characters.

http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2012/040/8/0/ace_attorney_comic_teaser_by_arkillian-d4p503g.jpg

This is the teaser I currently have up of some panels. They're all of Mia Fey, and they do contain cleavage so... >.>

Anyways, I'll update this slower since it seems that it only takes a week to be old news on this site :< Oh well, I'm not posting ponies so I guess I saw it coming...

Offline Lina

• Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Bananas!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 14, 2012, 06:56:17 AM »
you don't HAVE to post a new thread for new art. :)
we just found that it's more clear like that, but if you feel better having it all in one thread, go for it!
love the teaser, i've seen it on devart :lovey:

Arkillian

« Reply #41 on: February 14, 2012, 07:06:07 PM »
Well, I don't have any pony art to post so posting in one thread makes more sense to me. I don't want to spam the forums with my art- I have so much of it. I guess I just need people to be chatty to keep my art on the first page :)

Should I post more raw panel art from the comic here? I'm wary putting it on DA. I like to put more polished art there if I can cause people fav and don't return >.> It's annoying cause I'd like people to stick around for the comic too.  The artist community has a strange mindset ^^;

Offline ZennaBug

• Doodlebug Art/Adopts Mod
  • Trade Count: (+53)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • ZensDoodles Instagram
« Reply #42 on: February 15, 2012, 03:26:14 PM »
Go ahead and post it  :)  I like seeing WIP pics, it's fun to see pieces before they're finished.

(also, tasteful cleavage is ok to post, I probably wouldn't have paid it much attention, I was looking at the way you drew her eyes  :silly: )

:heart: Avi and Sig by me -  @ZensDoodles (Instagram) :heart:

Offline kCherry

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+244)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • *-* Smart Doll Obsessed *-*
    • View Profile
    • Studio 7th Sanctuary is now on Facebook
« Reply #43 on: February 16, 2012, 08:35:32 AM »
You've got some serious talent!!!! :worshippy:

My Etsy shop O Ponies *** My Youtube Channel

Arkillian

« Reply #44 on: February 16, 2012, 01:26:20 PM »

Go ahead and post it  :)  I like seeing WIP pics, it's fun to see pieces before they're finished.

(also, tasteful cleavage is ok to post, I probably wouldn't have paid it much attention, I was looking at the way you drew her eyes  :silly: )

Sweet- I wasn't sure, but it's good to know :) Mia character has always been portrayed as a bit of a sexy character, and VERY busty- my version of her is actually no where near as big (Cause frankly, the animations of her are HUGE), but I still like to keep the sexy factor while making her more in charge and more... accidentally sexy rather than forcefully so. Alot of people draw her untastefully. Even my more sexual pictures of her are more toned down. Sometimes something as simple as a 'come hither' gaze or something is more powerful than enlarging breasts larger :)

You've got some serious talent!!!! :worshippy:

Thank you :) I wish I could provide ponies instead, but at the moment, it's pretty much only humans :( I could probably do ponies, but I'd have to really work at it. I dont' have time for that just yet with my comic being due next month XD

I have one other teaser for the comic

The guy is Diego Armando, a lawyer who is very charming and suave. He's going to be interesting to do speech to cause he throws coffee and kitten metaphors all over the place. My previous attempts were ok, so hopefully I'll be alright :) And Mia is hilarious in the first panel. I've pretty much inked straight over my initial sketch of her. If you can imagine that when I draw layouts, the faces have large expressions and eyes like that panel. I've given it some detail, but the sketch cracked me up so much I didn't bother making it in proportion XD

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal