collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 647
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Author Topic: My Little Pony Media Over reaction????  (Read 3789 times)

cleverLC

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: My Little Pony Media Over reaction????
« Reply #45 on: July 21, 2013, 05:14:51 PM »
"Sexualized and self-objectifying?" Oh jeez, so much wrong with that. :facepalm:

Indeed--whether or not you objectify yourself has nothing to do with how sexualized or virginal an image you put out there!  If you are having sex solely for attention, then you are objectifying yourself.  If you are a virgin solely for your reputation, or to become a virginal bride/groom for somebody else, then you are objectifying yourself.  But if you have sex or abstain from it for YOUR reasons, based on YOUR ideals, then you're treating yourself like an intelligent human being--not an object.

Also, chiming in with tons of praise for Saiko's post.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 05:20:15 PM by cleverLC »

Offline ValeofSpring

• Trade Count: (+90)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 21, 2013, 06:54:47 PM »
I read the HuffPost article this morning and didn't find anything in it very compelling.  The author begins "Despite valiant efforts made by parents, toy creators and even kids themselves to convince brands to produce gender-neutral toys, the divide between "boy" and "girl" products remains vast"--yet that really has nothing to do with the article.  MLP, for better or worse, has always been a hyper-feminine product and marketed as such.  So the "disturbing evolution" of MLP is not that the toy has become more gendered.  Of course what the article really argues is that MLP has become more sexualized, which was a complaint lodged years ago against G3s. 

I for one do think MLP was at its best in its early days when the ponies had more equine habits (after all, the toy was inspired by little girls' love of horses), but as many have said here, times do change, and while I'm no fan of the dolls, it will be interesting to see if little girls like them!  I don't see anything about these dolls that is more "sexy" than Barbie or Bratz--honestly they seem less so.
Looking for CF Minty, excellent condition! (and maybe Snuzzle and Blue Belle)

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 21, 2013, 08:41:33 PM »
"Sexualized and self-objectifying?" Oh jeez, so much wrong with that. :facepalm:

Indeed--whether or not you objectify yourself has nothing to do with how sexualized or virginal an image you put out there!  If you are having sex solely for attention, then you are objectifying yourself.  If you are a virgin solely for your reputation, or to become a virginal bride/groom for somebody else, then you are objectifying yourself.  But if you have sex or abstain from it for YOUR reasons, based on YOUR ideals, then you're treating yourself like an intelligent human being--not an object.

Also, chiming in with tons of praise for Saiko's post.

I'd also like to chime in that how a woman dresses is not a measure of her worth and neither is how much sexual activity she has or doesn't have.
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal