collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Southampton is creeped out by Bronies  (Read 4276 times)

Offline Rosencrantz

• Shakespearian Tragedy Pony
  • Trade Count: (+73)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • I like shiny things
    • View Profile
Re: Southampton is creeped out by Bronies
« Reply #45 on: May 23, 2013, 01:36:06 PM »
Actually, Hexi, creeps *will* take the opportunity to use crowded situations to touch people inappropriately.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 (backcard by Ivy!)

Hexi

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #46 on: May 23, 2013, 01:42:36 PM »
Actually, Hexi, creeps *will* take the opportunity to use crowded situations to touch people inappropriately.
hmm you're right.

Offline Rosencrantz

• G3 Prototype Pony
  • I like shiny things
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 23, 2013, 01:44:07 PM »
Yeah, they count on the fact that people, especially women, don't want to make a huge loud fuss in public.
 (backcard by Ivy!)

Offline Shiromisa

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Real-Life Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 23, 2013, 01:46:52 PM »
fair point but there's a difference between uncomfortable (i was on a london bus once and a guy stood with his crotch basically pressing against my elbow) and dangerous like that that guy following them. but that was some pretty awesome avoidance skills there. XD

RedSH: haven't been in there for a couple months cause i live in bournemouth but last time i was there they had pinkie and RD i think. maybe rarity. but not many. they mostly have the playfuls. :)
Agreed with RC, I'd argue that both situations are unacceptable. We shouldn't have to deal with creeps like that in public, and it's really awful that they even try. :/

My Etsy shop! I've got G4 blind bag necklaces and pony-themed caramels for saleCommission me for a custom blind bag hereSwap wishlist here!Current grail: Li'l Cupcake and German StarshineSell me your prototype/error/unusual blind bags!

Offline Cadence

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • The Polyglot Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 23, 2013, 02:08:40 PM »
The teen guys can always ask for a gift receipt that way it looks like they are buying a gift. Who has to know they are not.
Lol! That is true. Good idea tulagirl :)
 || Sig by LunaCat || :fox: :heart:

Binny

« Reply #50 on: May 23, 2013, 03:52:35 PM »
I think part of the problem is some bronies are embarrassed to be looking at ponies so they kind of... Well for lack of a better word lurk around the isle. I've seen it happen where a brony (I assume) will kind of pace nervously around the ponies and try to not get caught looking at them and buying them. And I mean honestly if you don't understand what's going on its totally creepy looking. If they dive in and act totally normal it's no problem people assume they have a daughter or they and shopping for a party or something. It's when they act like something is going on that makes people nervous. I don't blame the moms out there, they just don't know what's happening.

Mainly this.

I've run into this a few times myself, and the way they carry themselves with the 'I'm up to something not good' look (even though I soon put together that they were probably just collectors feeling awkward) can kind of on instinct make you uneasy. I can see where mothers who are unaware of the large amount of adult male collectors would find it strange and possibly set off alarms in a similar way a man without children loitering around a playground would. Does it mean they've done anything wrong? Of course not. But I can understand both sides.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2013, 04:52:27 PM by Binny »

jennovazombie

« Reply #51 on: May 23, 2013, 04:24:57 PM »
The last time I was in the pony section of my local ToysRus, my husband chased down a guy who knocked a kid over to take her pony, because it was the last on the shelf. I'd be happy to see them moved to a section where they are less likely to be stolen or have things like that happen.

One of my friends was actually propositioned by a teenage guy in the girly toy aisle when she was young. It happens more often than people think, just most kids will say "No" and walk away without telling anyone. This doesn't mean I accuse every guy in the aisle of being a creep, but if he starts acting like one or going for what a kid has grabbed, it's time to step in and say something.

Offline Snapdragon

• Trade Count: (+103)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 23, 2013, 04:46:52 PM »
I will say I'm automatically wary when I see a group of young white men, but that's only because that's pretty much the only demographic that's ever done me harm. Plus the statistical fact that they're more likely to be predators of various stripes.

But man, do I want more details about this.

Eeeeeeeeeexactly this. Basically, dudes of any race or age, especially if they are in a group, are going to make me edgy as hell, and my guard will be up as long as they are there. We live in a society where women are blamed for their own attacks, for not being 'careful' enough; hell no I'm not going to give a group of strangers the benefit of the doubt. Especially they're lurking around, in a female-oriented area, looking edgy and nervous. (But that said, most of the Bronies I've met in the toy aisle have been friendly and we've had a good chat! But there have been a few... skulking weirdos. I think the 'skulkers' ruin it for the rest of us, TBH.)

What it comes down to is: my safety (and the safety of others) is more important than someone's bruised fee-fees. If one of these Bronies IS nice, they will understand why someone felt uncomfortable, or wanted to keep their kid safe - just in case they (a stranger) weren't as nice as they looked. Moms are allowed to be over-protective of their kids, it's kind of what they do! But I'm going to be more distrusting of the person who says "But you're hurting my FEEEELINGS by trying to protect yourself from harm! How dare you!" That person doesn't respect my desire for safety, and has outed themselves as a potential threat.
Commissions and sales are currently closed due to pandemic.~*~Sales!~*~Want List ~*~JAFFACAKE!

Offline loverofbalto

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 23, 2013, 05:44:58 PM »
I do wish they could put the blindbags somewhere so they are being watched.  I was at Walmart and found 5 bags opened and with the ponies removed.  I was really upset about that.

Offline Falconaitae

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Dance N' Prance Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 23, 2013, 06:35:13 PM »
I think part of the problem is some bronies are embarrassed to be looking at ponies so they kind of... Well for lack of a better word lurk around the isle.

This could be the case. Personally it took me some time to learn to just head straight to the pony section, pick what I want and walk away. Before that I tried to pretend, that I just strayed to pony section by accident... which might have looked quite strange. And I know, that I'm not the only one with such problem :P
Also, for the guys attempting to buy ponies, if someone asks you what you're looking for, the proper answer is "I'm searching for something for a six years old girl"... technically this is truth^^

Though I don't exclude possibility, that there might have been some incidents in this particular shop. Maybe there was a ponymeet taking place there, and everyone went buying blindbags^^

My pony blog
It's better to be a famous drunkard, than an anonymous alcoholic

Offline Rosencrantz

• G3 Prototype Pony
  • I like shiny things
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 23, 2013, 06:39:17 PM »
I think part of the problem is some bronies are embarrassed to be looking at ponies so they kind of... Well for lack of a better word lurk around the isle.

This could be the case. Personally it took me some time to learn to just head straight to the pony section, pick what I want and walk away. Before that I tried to pretend, that I just strayed to pony section by accident... which might have looked quite strange. And I know, that I'm not the only one with such problem :P
Also, for the guys attempting to buy ponies, if someone asks you what you're looking for, the proper answer is "I'm searching for something for a six years old girl"... technically this is truth^^

"Play it cool! Play it cool! DON'T MAKE EYE CONTACT WITH THE PONIES" is what I'm picturing, here.
 (backcard by Ivy!)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal