collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Poll

What do you think of the concept of articulated MLP figures?

I like them!
18 (20.9%)
Nope.  Nopety-nopety-NO!
20 (23.3%)
If it was done well, I wouldn't mind them as a variation/novelty.
31 (36%)
I'm fine with the concept, but the execution would almost certainly be awkward/wonky/ugly
15 (17.4%)
Other (write your thoughts below!)
2 (2.3%)

Total Members Voted: 81

Author Topic: Jointed ponies: yay or "neigh"?  (Read 3325 times)

Offline Silver Glade

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • Collector for Life!!
    • View Profile
Jointed ponies: yay or "neigh"?
« on: February 01, 2016, 01:58:33 PM »
So that Loyal Subjects G1 MLP topic got me thinking - what do most of y'all think about the CONCEPT of articulation in MLP toys?  Like, ignore the past attempts - they've been less than satisfactory, usually. :P  But if they could do the design well and not cut corners (3-jointed legs, body parts without weird indentation or bulges, etc.), would you be okay with poseable ponies?  Or do you just not like the look in general, and much prefer the "static" molds?  Some other reason?  Let's see your thoughts!

Offline ponyqueen

• Trade Count: (+92)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • "My, Earth really is full of things." -King of All
    • View Profile
    • Etsy
Re: Jointed ponies: yay or "neigh"?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2016, 02:24:44 PM »
It almost seems like a response to cries for new poses. "Here! Articulated ponies! We give you infinite poses of your making!"

But instead they just look like skeleton ponies to me, especially Coco because she's bone colored!

I think the only way it would work for me is if they wore clothing (like a Barbie) that could hid the joints.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

:heart: Did I forget to leave feedback? Please pm me! :heart:

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2016, 02:27:39 PM »
If it weren't for the joints and huge heads, I'd be all over these puppies! I'm even okay with Scoopity-Split

In general, no. I don't like jointed horses no matter what brand. It just ruins it.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2016, 06:29:00 PM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Silver Glade

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • Collector for Life!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2016, 02:38:10 PM »
The only jointed horse toys I've seen that are pretty good in design are several of the Barbie horses, whether poseable figures, battery-operated walking horses, etc.  But they, by and large, have the anatomy and musculature of real horses - they're not diminutive chubby lil things like MLP.  :P

I suppose often it's the joint seams that are so conspicuous and distracting?  I definitely can understand that.

Offline Shileah

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Big Brother Pony
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2016, 02:50:36 PM »
Are any Hasbro staff reading here? Maybe we can feed them some ideas, haha :)

I'm no fan of joints in general.
1) They look out of place. I love the overall smoothness of ponies when you touch them (and I prefer the G1 touch to the G4 touch as well, G4 often feels too glossy), and joints always "break" this smooth surface.
2) They are often made out of different plastic, so they fade or discolour differently from the rest, and that looks bad.
3) Joints often tend to wear out and then they are too loose, or the opposite happens - they get dirty/dusty/whatever reason and something blocks them so they do not move at all, oftentimes in a weird position (of course!).
4) Depending on how they are constructed, they pose another possible source for rust.
5) Everything that can break will break at some point. I'm still traumatised from that decapitated Barbie in my childhood.

Specifically looking for G1 with pen markings similar to this (my initials - W.S.):

Instagram

Offline Sunset

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2016, 02:59:45 PM »
I don't mind the idea of poseable ponies but it just never seems to come out right.  They always use hard plastic and joints which look clunky.  I wish someone would come up with one that was all one piece of soft plastic with bendable wire inside.  This would make the pony poseable without all of the clunky joints.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2016, 03:01:21 PM »
I don't mind the idea of poseable ponies but it just never seems to come out right.  They always use hard plastic and joints which look clunky.  I wish someone would come up with one that was all one piece of soft plastic with bendable wire inside.  This would make the pony poseable without all of the clunky joints.

Like Julip Horses?
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Noxxbunny

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2016, 03:35:49 PM »
It would probably be impossible for mass production, but I wish Hasbro would take notes from this BJD pony:

http://silverbeam.deviantart.com/art/BJD-Pony-326864272

(Minus the head. It looks too much like the SFM ponies to me and I hate those models)

But that's the kind of jointing I'd like to see. Looks much better.

Offline Kittywhiskers

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Ouchy Roids Pony
  • Kai, he/him or they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2016, 03:50:36 PM »
If they weren't so awkward-looking, I'd love to have a few in my collection. They seem fun!
Cannot have anything scented in the house, unfortunately. Seeking the unscented, magnetless variant of Thistle Whistle. (And wishing the other Sunny Scent ponies got similar ones, because they're lovely. *sigh*)

Offline Heart891011

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Ouchy Roids Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2016, 03:55:35 PM »
I love them! They're so much fun to pose. The only ones I don't like are the ones that only do specific functions (like the applejack that kicks like she's bucking apples)

Offline cacopony

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony
  • um...hello?
    • View Profile
    • my deviant art account:
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2016, 04:01:52 PM »
It depends on how things are made. I bought some fakie monster high dolls to make a jointed styling pony some years ago. the pony's body was hollow so I stuffed it with fimo and placed the joints. I was gonna do a robot pony and it was very poseable, It could lay down and even sit like a dog :P because I filled the body with fimo, the body was heavy and didn't fell down when posing. It all depends on how the plan is executed!
taking drawing comissions, check my DA for reference pics_
http://cacopony.deviantart.com/gallery/

Online lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2016, 05:50:20 PM »
It would probably be impossible for mass production, but I wish Hasbro would take notes from this BJD pony:

http://silverbeam.deviantart.com/art/BJD-Pony-326864272

(Minus the head. It looks too much like the SFM ponies to me and I hate those models)

But that's the kind of jointing I'd like to see. Looks much better.
this is a great example for G4 but it would be hard with G1.  G4 design doesn't fully articulate the joints - it's much more vague.  G1 design definitely tried to make efforts to show the caricature of an equine leg.  You can't do that AND hide the joints very well...
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2016, 06:03:35 PM »
For play? Sure, why not. I enjoyed my ballerina g1s immensely... Some (most?) might hate it, but it can be fun for those who like it.

For something seen as a collector item, probably not.

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline brighteyes

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • ~Insert Coin, Get Pony~
    • View Profile
    • Brighteye's Notebook
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2016, 06:31:26 PM »
I'm a "yes- with reservations."  I'd looove a really really nicely done jointed pony and I don't even think the ballerina ponies were too badly done.  The leotards really helped mask the weirdness of the joints but they still ended up kind of wonky.  My issue with them so far is that either they aren't jointed enough to make a real difference in terms of posability (ballerina ponies / new strange big head G1) or they are very jointed but just look so awkward (the explore Equestria singles). 

I mean, how much posing can you do with a pony that has legs jointed only at the hip?  It's kind if ridiculous to even bother.  Having a knee joint (or whatever that would be on a horse- the ankle?) would make it so much more posable, but I don't know if it could be done without looking really awful. 
Many thanks to LordBlumiere for my wonderful avatar  :lovey: Blog  Adoptable Refs

Offline TwistedRiver

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Please leave feedback for transactions :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2016, 07:50:08 PM »
I would love to have a poseable Minty or (be still my heart) Snuzzle, but I'm also one of those people who would be super picky with how the joints looked/worked etc. I wouldn't want their entire look to change but I do have to say the idea of being to pose them is tempting.

Thanks so much Nence and Valerie for my adorable siggy and Shaiyeh for my beautiful Avvi.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal