collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Rare ponies on eBay?  (Read 62278 times)

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
Re: Rare ponies on eBay?
« Reply #360 on: April 12, 2019, 04:06:15 PM »
I wonder if they had two or if the previous high bidder flaked. I feel like there were some bid abuses that wound the seller up in the first round of bidding, so maybe that's what happened.

Last pic is the two together
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #361 on: April 12, 2019, 05:02:14 PM »
I wonder if they had two or if the previous high bidder flaked. I feel like there were some bid abuses that wound the seller up in the first round of bidding, so maybe that's what happened.

Ooh. Well, that's convenient.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: April 13, 2019, 07:03:33 AM »

That's ok I was staring at both auctions for over 5 minutes before I saw the last pic XD lol

Online Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: April 13, 2019, 07:05:59 AM »

That's ok I was staring at both auctions for over 5 minutes before I saw the last pic XD lol

I admit, I didn't even look xD My browser is sometimes funny with ebay's images and I couldn't be bothered to scroll through xD. But wow. Imagine having two o.O.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: April 13, 2019, 07:12:38 AM »
two... UNOPENED!

I mean, if I had two, I surely would open one.

Online Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: April 13, 2019, 08:19:07 AM »
two... UNOPENED!

I mean, if I had two, I surely would open one.

If I had two I'd sell one. And go to Japan o.o.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Noasar

• Armour Plated Pony
  • Trade Count: (+34)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • Little Starglow Ponies
« Reply #366 on: April 13, 2019, 08:41:49 AM »
At this point I really don't see a logical explanation for how the person collected all this stuff other than a time machine.

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: April 13, 2019, 08:45:06 AM »
At this point I really don't see a logical explanation for how this person collected all this other than a time machine.

It's pretty likely they were collected when they were in the stores. Most of them have TRU price tags, but some of the other ones have other tags that seem local to the SoCal area. OG collector.

Online Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: April 13, 2019, 08:57:20 AM »
At this point I really don't see a logical explanation for how this person collected all this other than a time machine.

It's pretty likely they were collected when they were in the stores. Most of them have TRU price tags, but some of the other ones have other tags that seem local to the SoCal area. OG collector.

I think that's likely too. There were some people who did this during the eighties, for whatever reason. Although it is also possible they amassed a lot of it back at the end of the line, when ponies were more available MIP and not so expensive.

Just, the lack of anything foreign makes me think banditpony is probably right. Unless the collector actively chose not to collect overseas releases, which some people do.

A time machine would be a nice touch though :)
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Noasar

• Armour Plated Pony
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • Little Starglow Ponies
« Reply #369 on: April 13, 2019, 09:01:12 AM »

Aaaaand apparently humour/sarcasm doesn't always come across well on a keyboard. Because obviously, time machines don't exist.

Would be cool if they did though! First stop: 1981

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: April 13, 2019, 09:16:17 AM »

Aaaaand apparently humour/sarcasm doesn't always come across well on a keyboard. Because obviously, time machines don't exist.

Would be cool if they did though! First stop: 1981

I know time machine's aren't real?

I made my comment because generally speaking there would be two ways someone could have a collection like this
1) buying them in stores in the 80s.
2) buying them second hand via internet
(and sometimes a variety of the two).

But just based on the price tags, it just leans toward the ame stores. I had been paying attention to the tags to see if there were any from out of state. Back in the 80s, there were some stores that were national -- but there were so many more regional stores.

We never had a Target or Walmart in our area in the 80s. Only in the mid-late 90s did those stores even show up in our region. And now they are absolutely everywhere.

Online Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: April 13, 2019, 09:24:22 AM »
To be fair, the comment wasn't really either humour or sarcasm... I took it as a statement of amazement at what was coming out of the locker...which I can totally empathise with, because it's awesome.

On the time machine subject, I would like to go back to 1987, because I want some MIB princesses with dragons and mountain boys, but that's just me. I'm not patient enough to go back to 1981 and wait for MLP to appear in late 1982-3...

@banditpony, the price tag thing is interesting. I hadn't been looking at those really but it does make it seem more like something someone collected at the time for whatever reason. I also didn't realise that stores in the 80s over there were sometimes more regional than now.

If that's how this collection happened, it does make you wonder why they did it - whether they just liked the ponies and thought them pretty, or if they were collecting for some other reason. They collected some other stuff too, right? Maybe they just really liked the toys out at the time...

They also must have sent off for the mail order ponies, too. But we didn't see any ponies with cut cards, and I think there were also loose ponies in the locker. So I wonder if there was another part of this collection too - the played with collection that a kid maybe had, while the adult collected them in package too?

It makes me really curious about the human being behind these things now that we've seen so many of their collectables. It is sad that we didn't know them before this point. I think they would have found kindred spirits here - I hope they are happy that their ponies are gaining so much attention now.

Is this the last round of auctions, incidentally? I think the seller said something like that? Because if so there are some gaps. Unless they've also done some local selling, which is possible I suppose...I noticed a few of the buyers were able to do local pickup, so maybe they also brokered deals at the same time.

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Noasar

• Armour Plated Pony
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • Little Starglow Ponies
« Reply #372 on: April 13, 2019, 03:47:56 PM »
I'm not patient enough to go back to 1981 and wait for MLP to appear in late 1982-3...

I’d take my credit card, start with My Pretty Pony and work my way on from there! In fact, I’m surprised this person didn’t have MPP’s in there. They were scarily intuitive about how collectible all this would be in the future.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2019, 03:55:27 PM by Noasar »

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: April 17, 2019, 09:09:40 AM »
I found it by searching "My Little Pony Prince" for Sold listings.  :)

HOLY CR@P! I didn't realize there was a regular US pony worth so much.  I guess this seller did their homework before selling to get that price?

Wow.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/PRINCE/123733080625?hash=item1ccf10fa31:g:QFEAAOSwaP5csLTb

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: April 17, 2019, 09:11:58 AM »
I found it by searching "My Little Pony Prince" for Sold listings.  :)

HOLY CR@P! I didn't realize there was a regular US pony worth so much.  I guess this seller did their homework before selling to get that price?

Wow.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/PRINCE/123733080625?hash=item1ccf10fa31:g:QFEAAOSwaP5csLTb

They had already had an auction for one and set the bin based on that.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal