collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Rare ponies on eBay?  (Read 62282 times)

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
Re: Rare ponies on eBay?
« Reply #300 on: March 29, 2019, 03:59:04 AM »
It seems pretty normal for people to mention seller names, or whole auction titles, or describing in a way to easily find.. as in, people have been getting around the "no link" rule for YEARS.

Sorry, but no they haven't.  Talking about live auctions within the rules is not the same as trying to get around the rules, and seller names only get posted if an auction is likely a scam.

:) OP even mentioned they weren't sure if it was ok to post the seller in the original post. No one said "take it down" then. I actually think it's ok?

It's already been said that this is an exceptional circumstance.
Although what I think LadyMoondancer is saying -- is for your OWN benefit, people keep quiet about who they bid on as a strategic plan to not bring hype to a listing.
Yes, she is.

What I am saying is why the rule happened and what its purpose is.

And now maybe we can go back to the actual topic which is the storage locker ponies and their sales.

...on which note, it is interesting to me that there seem to be some split sets here. I wonder if that is an accident or deliberate, or if they're coming later.

...And I also wonder what the Prince is. They've sold Tux, right? And Rapunzel was Queen. What makes sense as Prince?
« Last Edit: March 29, 2019, 04:03:42 AM by Taffeta »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: March 29, 2019, 04:08:05 AM »
It seems pretty normal for people to mention seller names, or whole auction titles, or describing in a way to easily find.. as in, people have been getting around the "no link" rule for YEARS.

Sorry, but no they haven't.

:) OP even mentioned they weren't sure if it was ok to post the seller in the original post. No one said "take it down" then. I actually think it's ok?

It's already been said that this is an exceptional circumstance.

Well. To me, since I've seen other threads get around mentioning the ebay link by mentioning details-- it is a way for people to do it. I rarely see anyone say "not allowed". (But I imagine MORE people just don't post).

And I personally would of had NO idea about these listings if not for this thread. I don't do other social media. So this thread did contribute to the overall hype even if it was being discussed elsewhere. *shrug*

In the end, I don't see how it's different/exempt just because it's big.

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: March 29, 2019, 04:18:08 AM »
For me personally, I agree in the sense this shouldn't be an exception. I believe very much that the rules are important because I don't want to go back to the free for all arguments that happened before they existed.

For the forum generally, though, common sense tells me that not discussing it somehow would've been more impossible.

In any case, what would probably have happened is that if it was posted when the first auctions ended, then more got added, it would be hard to separate them out. So therefore it kind of became pointless to try.

So yes. Personally I think this thread shouldn't have existed. But I understand why it did exist, and now it does, it seems kind of pointless to insist we all stop talking about what's currently listed.

But it does also give the indication of how publicity impacts price of items. There are arguably other factors as well, but it does help to underscore why posting links and highlighting auctions holds no benefit whatsoever to collectors unless they are selling. Which in itself is perhaps not a bad thing.

I also knew about it from here. I don't use social media either for pony stuff. But I probably also would've found it on ebay myself eventually because I search for MIP items.

I think if it were just the seller listing out of the blue, rather than the whole storage locker story around it, then maybe it would be different.

In any case, I feel sure the mods would rather not moderate a discussion on selling rules, so let's not. Points have been made. Back to the topic at hand.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: March 29, 2019, 04:43:43 AM »
I actually think its more on topic then some of the other discussions in this thread (sniping, thoughts about international shipping unrelated to the listings) because the OP asked about this specific thing in her first post.

I don't see why the mods need to monitor our discussion. We aren't being rude to each other.

I don't have much else to say about it, other then I didn't want the OP to think she did something massively wrong. :/ It would of been closed on page 1 otherwise.

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #304 on: March 29, 2019, 05:31:09 AM »
I think this thread is fine, I just wanted to point out that if the circumstances were different--like if a seller only listed ONE rare pony and it was mislabeled (say a Rapunzel with the listing title of "Fairy horse queen" and they put it in the wrong eBay category)--then, in THAT case, a thread like this would be a faux pas.  The people who were already watching the auction (and I guarantee, SOMEONE spotted it) would be resentful as they watched their hidden gem shoot up to "typical" Rapunzel prices.  (Which is why live links were banned from the mailing lists and later the various forums.)

I mean, maybe the OP wouldn't have done that anyway, in which case I apologize for my assumption.  I just thought it was worth bringing up.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: March 29, 2019, 05:37:33 AM »
I think this thread is fine, I just wanted to point out that if the circumstances were different--like if a seller only listed ONE rare pony and it was mislabeled (say a Rapunzel with the listing title of "Fairy horse queen" and they put it in the wrong eBay category)--then, in THAT case, a thread like this would be a faux pas.  The people who were already watching the auction (and I guarantee, SOMEONE spotted it) would be resentful as they watched their hidden gem shoot up to "typical" Rapunzel prices.  (Which is why live links were banned from the mailing lists and later the various forums.)

I mean, maybe the OP wouldn't have done that anyway, in which case I apologize for my assumption.  I just thought it was worth bringing up.

That was what I was getting at as well. You just put it better than I did :)
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Baby-Sweety

• Trade Count: (+37)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • We need more Unicorns and Glitter
    • View Profile

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: March 29, 2019, 11:35:46 AM »
It's interesting how some of these sets are now getting broken up. I am sure they would do better all sold at the same time.

I miss the days when nobody liked MOC baby sea ponies. The Sea Sparkles are the nicest set. I have a bunch of their cards but only one of them MOC. I'd love to have more but these days everyone loves sea ponies too much :'(
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: March 29, 2019, 12:06:07 PM »
It's interesting how some of these sets are now getting broken up. I am sure they would do better all sold at the same time.

I'm wondering if by the end of this the average prices will be lower. Just in general, it seems like most people don't have money saved up for lots of big purchases and/or don't want to spend $$$ money on ponies.

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: March 29, 2019, 12:25:34 PM »

I'm wondering if by the end of this the average prices will be lower. Just in general, it seems like most people don't have money saved up for lots of big purchases and/or don't want to spend $$$ money on ponies.

I guess it depends on...

- How many people are maxing credit cards
- How many collectors there are interested

I guess both of those are difficult to gauge...
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #310 on: March 29, 2019, 12:27:39 PM »
I wonder if some MOC collectors have blown their money on the earlier items and just have less left in their budget now?  Ha ha, yeah, the Watercolor Baby Sea ponies used to be worth next to nothing MOC.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: March 29, 2019, 12:36:01 PM »
I wish I'd been collecting in the days of the cheap MOC sea ponies. I would have loved to get Watercolor Misty MOC.

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline Eternia

• Trade Count: (+92)
  • MOC Mimic
  • The girliest
    • View Profile
    • Oat Couture
« Reply #312 on: March 29, 2019, 01:40:52 PM »
Any idea who this “prince” pony is they keep mentioning in their listings??
My Wantlist! Connect with me! Facebook Tumblr Flickr Instagram=oatcouturepony & charmingplastics
No girly swap this year!

Offline TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Can buy, but cannot sell/trade
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #313 on: March 29, 2019, 01:52:04 PM »
Any idea who this “prince” pony is they keep mentioning in their listings??

No idea... guess we'll find out with time...

--

Man, I feel really bad for that MIB purple princess he listed. Her poor nose is smushed from how the person who owned the storage unit beforehand had stored the ponies all piled up....
« Last Edit: March 29, 2019, 01:58:15 PM by TheBeatlesPkmnFan42 »

Snupps|MLP Discord server|Instagram

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: March 29, 2019, 03:41:26 PM »

Exactly!  This is such a rare instance, of course we will discuss it (it's a part of community history!), but usually we don't.  Because sometimes.... sometimes people get vindicative.  They take things personally.  And we've all been privy to what happens when people intentionally cause drama because they want to hurt others.  Yes, yes, even over ponies!    People who have been collecting ponies for over 30 years have seen it all!  ;)  Our suggestions become Best Practice and guidelines and sometimes even rules (like the no-live-auction link rule on the Arena - unless they are your own sales!) BECAUSE we have experienced all the crazy ways that people get their feelings wounded over plastic brushable fantasy equines.

I have had a number of my own "secretly watched" auctions get called out ... even without the direct links... and I lost out on those ponies because, as Taffeta pointed out, the HIGHEST bidder wins... even if they don't plan on paying. 
« Last Edit: March 29, 2019, 03:44:24 PM by lovesbabysquirmy »
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal