collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Looking for a bit of advice on blogging...  (Read 521 times)

Offline Nemesis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Material Girl
    • View Profile
Looking for a bit of advice on blogging...
« on: February 14, 2015, 05:54:49 PM »
So I've been blogging for a while now, off and on, and I'm ready to get serious again... I have a toy blog, as it happens (see sig). I love to improve in things, and blogging is no exception for me, so I'm seeking a bit of advice from fellow bloggers, webmasters, and those who read blogs.

1: Being 'on top of the ball'. When something new is happening (first photos of a new toy discovered, new trademarks discovered, etc.), from where is it best to get ahold of photos, info, and the like? Is it poor etiquette to ask permissions of someone who posts a photo to a forum if you may repost it?

2: Gaining momentum. How is it most efficient to promote your blog? DO you promote? Or do you let Google searches and the quality of your work earn your traffic?

Constructive advice is very welcome. As I've said, I'm hoping to improve in my blogging, and would love some insight into what a well-oiled blog or site needs to function. Thank you. =3
🌈⭐️Check out my wishlist! Seeking all generations of ponies, Fashion Star Fillies, Magic Meadow Ponies, REMCO ponies, Sweetie Pups/Kitties, cutesy 80s/90s toys, and more!🦄🌙

Ponykit

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Looking for a bit of advice on blogging...
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2015, 08:05:20 PM »
1: I'm not sure where it would be best to get ahold of photos, info, ect., but I don't think there's anything wrong with asking someone permission to repost a picture.

2:I'm not sure....I don't promote my blogs and I don't get much traffic on any of them, so...

Sorry I'm not much help....

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2015, 06:48:50 AM »
I don't blog but I can give this a bump. Best of luck!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline ghouldilocks

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • The Rainbow Stable
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2015, 09:49:46 AM »
Some companies have blogs or feeds for news, so you could always subscribe to those for up-to-date stuff. You could also make a point of going to fairs and conventions...as we know, companies often show off upcoming product at these types of events.

I have a couple of blogs, but I don't really use them in this way, so I can't be very helpful, I'm afraid.

ISO: ITALIAN PRETTY PARLOR

(formerly known as ClawleenMeowlen)

Offline StoryDreamer

• Go boldly
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Bri
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2015, 08:09:32 AM »
1: Being 'on top of the ball'. When something new is happening (first photos of a new toy discovered, new trademarks discovered, etc.), from where is it best to get ahold of photos, info, and the like? Is it poor etiquette to ask permissions of someone who posts a photo to a forum if you may repost it?

Not at all! As long as you offer credit, most people don't mind. You should sign up for google alerts on certain toy companies and also check out their websites for press releases. Instagram is another way to find toy and other pictures - just look for certain keywords of toys you cover.

2: Gaining momentum. How is it most efficient to promote your blog? DO you promote? Or do you let Google searches and the quality of your work earn your traffic?

Content is king. Above all. However, you can do press releases, link exchanges and use social media.
Hey, want to review media or contribute an article about books, movies, comics, tv or video games from a woman's perspective? Check out my new media blog in the making, What the Fangirl LGBTQ+ friendly

Offline Nemesis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Material Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2015, 06:06:11 AM »
Thank you everyone for your input!

My other question would be... What is considered 'public domain' and what isn't? That's obvious with things like photos and plagiarizing, but not so much with information itself. If someone discovers an exciting bit of news and shares it on a forum or twitter, would it be poor etiquette to write a blog entry on said news tidbit (in my own words, of course). Should credits be given?

Sorry. I ask a lot of questions. ^^;;
🌈⭐️Check out my wishlist! Seeking all generations of ponies, Fashion Star Fillies, Magic Meadow Ponies, REMCO ponies, Sweetie Pups/Kitties, cutesy 80s/90s toys, and more!🦄🌙

Offline ghouldilocks

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • The Rainbow Stable
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2015, 08:21:01 AM »
Thank you everyone for your input!

My other question would be... What is considered 'public domain' and what isn't? That's obvious with things like photos and plagiarizing, but not so much with information itself. If someone discovers an exciting bit of news and shares it on a forum or twitter, would it be poor etiquette to write a blog entry on said news tidbit (in my own words, of course). Should credits be given?

Sorry. I ask a lot of questions. ^^;;

Whenever you get information from another source and it isn't something that's considered to be common knowledge, ALWAYS cite your source. Always.

ISO: ITALIAN PRETTY PARLOR

(formerly known as ClawleenMeowlen)

Offline StoryDreamer

• Go boldly
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Bri
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2015, 09:31:42 AM »
Always credit. I report a lot of retail news for a publication, and I'm always saying "so and so broke the news" or "according to.."

Including a link to them could also get them visiting your site. :) It also shows that you're professional and ethical.
Hey, want to review media or contribute an article about books, movies, comics, tv or video games from a woman's perspective? Check out my new media blog in the making, What the Fangirl LGBTQ+ friendly

Offline TornadoTwist

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Author of MLP Merch
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2015, 10:16:41 AM »
As a blogger. I always find it fair to give credit for images and information. (in fact there's a website who steals a lot of news from us without giving credit and they even remove our comments...) So I do the opposite and that's to give credit.  But sometimes it's best to ask first. Sometimes people don't like it when you use their pictures without permission. :)
« Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 10:21:07 AM by TornadoTwist »

Offline Ossie

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Mighty Morphin Power Pony
    • View Profile
    • MLP Merch
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2015, 10:20:05 AM »
As a blogger. I always find it fair to give credit for images and information. (in fact there's a website who steals a lot of news from us without giving credit and they even remove our comments...) So I do the opposite and that's to give credit.  But sometimes it's best to ask first. :)

Which happens to be a daily blog about equestria

MLP Merch Blog | MLP Merch Databases

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal