collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Vintage kids anime that DVD forgot...  (Read 8445 times)

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
Re: Vintage kids anime that DVD forgot...
« Reply #45 on: January 29, 2019, 12:25:33 PM »
It really is shocking that it's 2019 and there *still* hasn't been a release of Pokemon in Japanese outside of Japan itself :( I know there's a lot of ground to cover, but you'd think they could release the movies in both languages, at least..

No kidding. Especially since netflix of late has gone crazy with adding anime and japanese/korean drama series. Which is nice because I can turn the subtitles off which I can't do on crunchyroll :/ I guess it's all tied up with foreign licences and what is deemed appropriate and gah. In any case, considering how much Japanese stuff I watch, it's stupid that the first time I ever saw a full episode of Pokemon in Japanese was when I was in Tokyo. In 2017. -.-.

It's not that I care too much about the names of the pokemon, I just want to hear MikiShin voice Kojirou and to not have it cut to pieces by the censor teams...
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline sailorstitch

• Trade Count: (+94)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Instagram @sailorstitch
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 29, 2019, 02:08:11 PM »
I have a VHS copy of the Porygon seizure episode. It's in Japanese, but it doesn't have subtitles.

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 30, 2019, 02:19:06 AM »
I have a VHS copy of the Porygon seizure episode. It's in Japanese, but it doesn't have subtitles.

That one was pulled even in Japan I think, after the seizure issues, though, so no chance of that one getting a DVD release. Honestly, not super-keen to see it given the stories. It's interesting that a vhs of that episode does exist.

I don't care about subs hence getting Japanese versions, but I'm kind of put off from pursuing them in any great detail because of the sheer quantity of episodes and the expense of importing tons of Japanese DVDs. I have quite a few of various things but I can't think of any of them having subtitles except one that has Japanese subtitles...so the Japanese market aren't helpful in this regard re language tracks.

Weirdly there's a similar thing even with recent shows like Miraculous Ladybug whereby the US release has a dual language track of English and French but the UK release has only English and the French release only French. I have a multiregion DVD player so it's not the end of the world to get the US version, but it is weird to me how the options are different in different places even for very recent series.

Most anime releases these days have the original Japanese track, I was just able to get the final volume of another series from Italy because it had a Japanese and Italian track rather than just a dub and no original. But pokemon still isn't in that category. Very frustrating.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2019, 02:23:51 AM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 30, 2019, 07:44:46 AM »
Yeah, the Porygon ep's never going to be released again, it was a huge scandal and they'd rather pretend that it never happened (fair enough). AFAIK all the existing copies of it are bootleg/fan recordings.

Offline sailorstitch

• Trade Count: (+94)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Instagram @sailorstitch
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 30, 2019, 09:57:04 AM »
Yeah, the Porygon ep's never going to be released again, it was a huge scandal and they'd rather pretend that it never happened (fair enough). AFAIK all the existing copies of it are bootleg/fan recordings.

Yeah, mine's a bootleg. I just wish it had subtitles.

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 30, 2019, 10:44:43 AM »
I bet that Pokémon episode is one of the reasons Viz's Sailor Moon Super S dub has the photosensitive/seizure warning for her Moon Gorgeous Meditation attack.

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 30, 2019, 02:08:14 PM »
Animaniacs made it to DVD - I have season 1

Maple Town!!!! someone else remembers this show!!! <3

Pokemon, ha, Pikachu is old enough to order himself a beer!
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 30, 2019, 05:20:43 PM »

Yeah, mine's a bootleg. I just wish it had subtitles.

That makes more sense. But that ep is rather an exception :/
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Pokeyonekenobie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 22, 2019, 05:55:49 PM »
I bought one of the Fairytale Adventures DVD set with "Aladdin and the Wonderful Lamp" and while the cartoon is the one I remember, the dubbing is different.  Aladdin's voice is too deep, the tiny kids sound like teenagers and the princess has a whiny voice while the royal vizier has a macho voice whereas in the version I grew up with, the princess had a pretty voice and the vizier had a nasally one that totally fit how the character was drawn much better.  Oh well.  At least some of the background music is still the same.

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 23, 2019, 11:31:51 AM »
I bought one of the Fairytale Adventures DVD set with "Aladdin and the Wonderful Lamp" and while the cartoon is the one I remember, the dubbing is different.  Aladdin's voice is too deep, the tiny kids sound like teenagers and the princess has a whiny voice while the royal vizier has a macho voice whereas in the version I grew up with, the princess had a pretty voice and the vizier had a nasally one that totally fit how the character was drawn much better.  Oh well.  At least some of the background music is still the same.

I'm sorry the dub wasn't the one you remember. I think that DVD is the one that also includes a couple episodes of Angel which I think also had 2 different versions, but it's been so long since I've been able to watch Angel in English that I'm not sure if I'd notice the dub differences.

I was really happy when I found out the Unico and the Island of Magic was same English dub as the one I remember. :)

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal