collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: How important are factory curls?  (Read 373 times)

Offline Tennyo

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://tennyomelime.deviantart.com
How important are factory curls?
« on: March 06, 2013, 01:24:58 PM »
Among the ponies that I dug out of storage recently I found my Goldilocks.

I have never brushed her hair, ever.  Growing up I was afraid of ruining her curls.

But years of being in a plastic storage bin have kind of ruined her hair.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Should I try to wash it and comb it out, ruing her original factory curls?  Are they ruined already? 

How do I even begin to fix such a mess? :(

What would she be worth should I try to sell her?  Would she be more valuable if I left her as is or more valuable if I tried to fix or change her hair?

glitter the unicorn

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: How important are factory curls?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2013, 02:02:32 PM »
i believe there is a way to restore factory curls on the my little pony preservation project

Offline FantasticFirefly

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Loves Accessories!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2013, 02:04:53 PM »
If she were say a Rapunzel you wanted to sell, I would have suggested leaving her as-is. Over the years myself, and a few others have developed tricks for taking matted hasbro curls and cleaning them up without using curlers. It's time consuming to get out tangles, wash the hair and then moving the sections back in place with my fingers. It also took many ponies to get the technique down. Sometimes some still don't curl up as well as hoped (if the hair was hiding a lot of frizz). Personally I'll buy a pony with messy matted hair with hasbro curl instead of a pony who had her hair brushed out and re-curled already.

If you are keeping her though i'd agree with fixing up her hair a little- you may as well enjoy her if she's part of your collection and really you're not affecting value in this case. :) She looks really matted in places, I'd stick in plenty of conditioner before trying to comb her out. and gently work from ends to root. Rinsing under cool water (hot will make the curl fall). You can then section off the hair again. Lots here will wrap around straws to dry, it seems to be an easier way of recurling.

Offline Tennyo

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2013, 02:30:06 PM »
I'm probably going to sell her.  I've been going through and cleaning my collection up for this very purpose.

Thanks for the input, though. Do you really think buyers would prefer I not fix her hair?  And I've seen the method of using straws to fix the hair.  And while it looks nice, the curls still aren't the same as the factory originals.

And I'll check that out, Glitter! :)

Offline FantasticFirefly

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Loves Accessories!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2013, 02:34:01 PM »
I can only speak for myself and some other collectors who prefer to fix the hair themselves. I honestly don't know if more of us prefer it untouched Hasbro but messy, or more people would prefer non factory re-curled hair.

Offline Tennyo

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2013, 02:35:41 PM »
It's good to know that some people might.  Thanks for all your input. :)

Offline Lady Starflower

• Trade Count: (+246)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Brazilian & Greek Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2013, 02:57:11 PM »
You can always list her as is and give the buyer the option if they want you to fix her or they prefer if they do it. I'd say that's the easiest way : )
Full Wishlist~*~Sales~*~
Grails: Greek(blue)Medley, Greek Sunlight(Silver Clouds) and Brazil Duck Soup.

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2013, 05:35:11 PM »
I am with FantasticFirefly on this to be honest - I would rather tease original curls back into an approximation of originality than have them all straightened and recurled.

But I have a feeling that we may be in a minority and that you will probably find as long as you can make her hair as close as possible to the original, that may will prefer her hair tamed before purchase. Hopefully you get a more balanced response in this thread.

Here is the contradiction, if I was selling her and I was unable to restore her curls to a degree of originality, personally I would straighten the hair and re curl before selling. Mainly because I would be confident of getting the most interest in her this way.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline Shenanigans

• Trade Count: (+73)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2013, 05:48:05 PM »
I like factory curls, but honestly if the hair is matted and frizzy looking, I would absolutley buy the one with the nicest hair- whether it's factory or recurled :) Pretty recurled hair is better than messy factory curls in my opinion anyway and would buy based on who has the prettiest hair ^.^ That's just me though, maybe others have different opinions :D
My Wish List

Offline Tabbyclaw

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2013, 10:29:58 PM »
This is not related to the question of hair, but I have never seen a pony who looks so much like Taylor Swift.

-Tabby
the princess with claws

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal