collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Introducing my new guinea pigs!  (Read 3506 times)

Offline Aienhime

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
Re: Introducing my new guinea pigs!
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2012, 02:03:44 PM »
They're adorable! Congratulations! Also I love how you keep them =D

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2012, 03:15:09 PM »
Thank you everyone! :heart: Yes, I loooove Peter Pan so I really wanted to name them something related and those two just fit them perfectly :)

Hyenacub, you know I really think they're mixed. They look like they have shorter hair when you first see them but it's longer and they have random longer hairs, especially on their butts. Lol And some behind their ears. So I'm pretty sure they're American Satins maybe mixed with something else. :> just my guess! Lol

Calico guinea pigs are always mixed breeds. Even got to witness that myself years ago when a brown guinea pig and a gorgeous black and gold one had a baby calico together.

Ummm..... The color is Tortoiseshell and White and I think you are confusing "breeds" with "color varieties". "Breed" is typically determined by coat type, not color.

They are TSW for certain but don't look like Satins in the picture. Though it's hard to tell without clearer pictures. Do you know the age? From the way you describe their coats they could be young Silkies. If their coats don't get long though, they are likely Americans or possibly an American/Silky mix. Rosettes are a dominant trait so if they were mixed with anything rosetted it would likely show.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline naylastar

• Trade Count: (+30)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2012, 04:35:05 PM »
Congratulations:) Guineas make the bestest pets:)

Offline Koudoawaia

• Storm Dragon
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Dragon with the heart of a guinea pig
    • View Profile
    • FA Gallery
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2012, 04:43:56 PM »

Thank you everyone! :heart: Yes, I loooove Peter Pan so I really wanted to name them something related and those two just fit them perfectly :)

Hyenacub, you know I really think they're mixed. They look like they have shorter hair when you first see them but it's longer and they have random longer hairs, especially on their butts. Lol And some behind their ears. So I'm pretty sure they're American Satins maybe mixed with something else. :> just my guess! Lol

Calico guinea pigs are always mixed breeds. Even got to witness that myself years ago when a brown guinea pig and a gorgeous black and gold one had a baby calico together.

Ummm..... The color is Tortoiseshell and White and I think you are confusing "breeds" with "color varieties". "Breed" is typically determined by coat type, not color.

They are TSW for certain but don't look like Satins in the picture. Though it's hard to tell without clearer pictures. Do you know the age? From the way you describe their coats they could be young Silkies. If their coats don't get long though, they are likely Americans or possibly an American/Silky mix. Rosettes are a dominant trait so if they were mixed with anything rosetted it would likely show.

I got the calicos means a mixed breed thing from a guinea pig care book a long time ago so that book must've been wrong I guess. *shrugs*
« Last Edit: May 13, 2012, 04:45:52 PM by Koudoawaia »

Many thanks to FairieFalls for my sig image and many thanks to Shaiyeh for my avatar :art:

Offline MonstarNomNom

• Trade Count: (+71)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2012, 04:45:58 PM »
Zenna, that was such a bittersweet story :heart: It is crazy how arrogant some people can be about stuff like that D: Major props to you for doing all that research! I know you made those little goodles that much happier by being so attentive and loving to them :lovey:

And thank you so much for all of the kind words, everyone! I just finished washing the fleece I intend to use for their bedding so hopefully I can get that in there soon :)

kaoskat, here is a picture of them where you can see the longer hairs I was talking about :)

As for age, I really don't know specifically. The past owners only said they were less than a year and I can definitely tell they're still youngsters. If anyone could help me figure out what breed(s)'/ they are that would be awesome! Haha :)
« Last Edit: May 13, 2012, 04:49:58 PM by MonstarNomNom »
:heart: My Etsy~My Facebook Page~Wishlist~IG:@perfumepuffprincess :heart:

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2012, 05:33:16 PM »
Yes, those are definitely longhair/longhair mixes. Since there are no Rosettes, they'd be Silkies. If you are lucky, they are only part longhaired and their hair will be long, but manageable. Pure longhairs have hair that will keep growing and growing and growing and would have to be wrapped or cut, but longhairs that show the trait but aren't pure get longer hair but it stops growing. Let me see if I can track down some of my favorite websites from back when I was still breeding for you. They are great for breed and color variety identification.

Post Merge: May 13, 2012, 05:50:51 PM

http://www.storybookcavies.com/cavy_breeds.htm

Colors:
http://www.oocities.org/falls_acre_cavies/longhr-cavy-colors.html

http://www.oocities.org/falls_acre_cavies/cavy-colors.html

And ACBA's list (click the red dots for pics)
http://acbaonline.com/breeds.html

I'm sure I can track down more if you like, but these are some of the better ones.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2012, 05:50:51 PM by kaoskat »

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline bigmlpfan

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Currently offline due to illness.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2012, 05:59:16 PM »
So cute :)

bigmlpfan xx

Offline Brightglowpony

• Trade Count: (+32)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2012, 06:54:43 PM »
AWWW they're precious!  Congrats!  I love the pic of your doggie peering in  :lovey:
Wishlist
Thank you to Witch for my stunning avatar!

Offline Saja

• Peacock Queen
  • Trade Count: (+325)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2012, 07:41:28 PM »
Wow theyre super cute, so is your dog!!
Wish list : http://mlparena.com/mlp/index.php/topic,318839.0.html
See my work on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/saja.navajo Also rehairs and customs for sale in sales album on FB and also and Etsy Store https://www.etsy.com/shop/SajasCreations

Offline TexasGal

• Cupcake Pony
  • Trade Count: (+158)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Pickle barrel kumquat cherrychanga!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2012, 10:02:46 PM »
love the reference to hook..and....  *steals doggy*  I  love your puppy!  mwuhahaha

Offline little.fox

• Trade Count: (+84)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • The Little Red Fox
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2012, 06:08:16 AM »
Congrats on your lovlies! Guinea Pigs are awesome little creatures!

Offline MonstarNomNom

• Trade Count: (+71)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2012, 06:20:12 AM »
Thanks so much for the nifty websites and help, kaoskat! :D They helped a lot! :) I'm not sure if their hair will get any longer, but time will tell! ^^

thank you everyone for all the kind words :heart: They are adorable little piggies and so fun to watch! Haha :) And Zorro thanks everyone for commenting on his good looks! He would shower you in kisses if he could :heart:
:heart: My Etsy~My Facebook Page~Wishlist~IG:@perfumepuffprincess :heart:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal