collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: It had to happen sooner or later...  (Read 669 times)

Offline Sugar

• Norwegian Fnord Pony
  • Trade Count: (+81)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Sock/earring fiend
    • View Profile
It had to happen sooner or later...
« on: May 29, 2013, 04:25:04 PM »
I received a lot of G1s and G3s that simply reek of cigarette smoke! :X

No offense to any smoker ponies here, but seriously...  I opened the padded envelope, and ewwwww... :yucky:

So tell me, please - your very best tips for removing the scent of cigarettes past!  'Cause right now...

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

(And no offense to any skunks, either... they smell better than cigarette pew, actually...)

Thanks to Sourdough stomper for my Advent signature, and to Nence for my avatar! :lovey:
Wishlist - I'm back on (semi-) active buying again... can't buy everything on my wish list all at once (yay, back-to-school and tuition fees), but I am still looking to plump up my collection a bit more: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,380638.0.html
Sales/trades - http://mlparena.com/index.php?topic=381378.msg1572410#msg1572410

Offline Diamond

• Hostess of the Wine Cellar
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • Time will tell a wonderful tale if you listen.
    • View Profile
Re: It had to happen sooner or later...
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2013, 04:31:41 PM »
I have heard of a few, thankfully we have not had that happen to us. 

One is baking soda in a box, and flip sides every few days.  Another is to take dryer sheets and put the ponies in a zip lock with em and again change sides/sheets. 
:like: me on FaceBook - Crocus Cottage Creations

Thanks to SdS for my avie

Offline MidnightMocha

• Trade Count: (+249)
  • But the stars in the sky look like home
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2013, 04:32:53 PM »
Hi there, I have dealt with this a couple of times. Honestly, I don't even mind, I just wish the seller would let me know before sending it to me. If it's a pony I need, the smell won't keep me from buying it, I just want to know ahead of time :( Though perhaps it is also my fault for not asking if they come from a smoke free home...

That said, I gave my pony a good shampoo, then left her in a bowl of baking soda for a few days, and that did the trick!
Will always trade for limited edition/90s Pikachu stuff!

Offline Majesty

• Metal Gear Solid Pony
  • Trade Count: (+35)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • G1 and G3 Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2013, 04:41:50 PM »
Febreeze.  It works wonders.  I got a Snuzzle or Peachy from one of the Rhode Island fairs and it was in a plastic bag and reeked of cigarette smoke.  I soaked it in febreeze and let it air dry and the smell was gone.

Good luck.  :)

butterfly1816

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2013, 04:46:35 PM »
Hi,

Fabreze works, but also leave it outside over night with a type of celling over it, this works as I have had some that reaked like vinegar. EWW!

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2013, 04:49:17 PM »
As time goes by I seem to be more sensitive to yucky smells like smoke.

The only same that seems to work for me is fresh air and LOTS of time, after a good scrub down.

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

kaskurgi

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2013, 04:52:49 PM »
I use a mix of oxyclean and gain dish soap and let them soak in cold water. If the heads are removable you can also make sure they are cleaned out on the inside and let them sun bathe for an little bit on each side for a few days or just stick them out in a shaded area if they don't have marks. Then give them another bath. If they are really bad air them out for a decent amount of time clean and store away in a rubbermaid container with some of that pot popurri in a bag :)

Offline himmie

• Trade Count: (+137)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Need More Boy Ponies
    • View Profile
    • Himmie's Collection
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2013, 04:57:33 PM »
I have never understood how people can smoke in their house and stuff. I smoke when I go out and such but could not handle living IN it...

Anyway, baking soda is what I recommend. I am horribly allergic to Febreeze, dryer sheets, etc.
WTB: MOC and Nirvana Boy Ponies
My Collection | Want List | eBay Store

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2013, 05:15:17 PM »
I, too, am allergic to 90% of "nice-smelling things".  Here's what I do:

Stick them in a sealed bin of baking soda for two weeks.  Take them out and submerge them in a jar of vinegar for two weeks.  Air them out.  Repeat as necessary!
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

cleverLC

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2013, 05:52:02 PM »
I used baking soda for a month, then vinegar for 20 minutes.  After the vinegar dried, they were completely scentless.

Offline Jennifer2004

• Hooked on Ponies
  • Trade Count: (+104)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Looking for Bowtie variants, nirvanas, & merch!
    • View Profile
    • Jennifer Bischoff
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2013, 09:11:54 PM »
Ooh, I'm glad I saw this thread.

The same thing happened to me recently. I bought a pony on eBay and the seller claimed she was from a smoke free home.

The pony came in a plastic bag and as soon as I opened it reeked of smoke.

I feel bad for the pony but she's not going in my collection or even in my room like that.

I'm going to try a few of these suggestion.

Thanks,
~Jennifer

eCrater Store - Commissions Info - Facebook Page

SeaStar777

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2013, 09:45:23 PM »
I'm a smoker myself (off & on) but I would NEVER smoke near my ponies or any of the ones I have for sale/trade! I just recently bought 2 ponies from an ebay seller & the minute I opened the envelope the reek slapped me in the face.... its gross even to me. Smokers need to learn that the smell is offensive to others & collectors (of all things) need to learn to list the smell as a flaw.

The 2 ponies I bought were in gorgeous condition, but I was forced to wash them & shampoo/condition their hair to get the smell out.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

Offline Whippycorn

• Trade Count: (+82)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2013, 01:12:32 AM »
I've actually found that lots of fresh air does the job quite well.  :) I got a really smoky lot and initially I tried baking soda and frabric softener and oxy baths and nothing helped at all.  :huh: Then I decided to just shove them outside (under a shelter) because they were stinking up my house and I checked them the other day and the smell is pretty much gone now.  :lol:
**** ARENA SALES ****

**** EBAY SALES ****

DancingPhoenix

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2013, 01:50:14 AM »
I always swear by my method of putting the pony in a bag and filling it completely with cat litter and then sealing it. Make sure the pony is 100% submerged, and then let her sit there for a week. After the week is done take the pony out and wash normally, with shampoo and conditioner and soap. Usually the smell will get stuck in the hair too so give it a few extra lather and rinses. Then just let them dry out :)

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2013, 02:33:40 AM »
I think the methods here cover everything. I do the baking soda for a week, fresh air for a week, baking soda for a week, and repeat as required method. Sometimes it takes a long time but it will shift the smell.

Sometimes what helps is to wash the hair with a heavily scented shampoo before you start the processes - mainly as the smell clings to hair much worse than the body; in fact the fair is normally the source of the issue. But a deep cleanse with a nicely scented shampoo starts the process well.

I have also heard, and have since tried, misting the ponies with a diluted fabric softener - this also works.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal