collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: How do you make keychains out of blind bag ponies?  (Read 4518 times)

Offline ApertureScience

• Forever Ouchy Roids
  • Trade Count: (+40)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
How do you make keychains out of blind bag ponies?
« on: May 28, 2012, 11:27:13 PM »
I've seen little keychains and necklace charms made from bling bag ponies, and my friends all want their first blind bags to be made into keychains, but I don't know where to start.  Any help, please?

Offline Tulips

• Sweetie Pups Nut
  • Trade Count: (+65)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Tiptoe Through The Tulips
    • View Profile
Re: How do you make keychains out of blind bag ponies?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2012, 11:41:04 PM »
It's pretty simple actually :)
You just have to get a few eyelet screws and screw one into the top of the pony, then thread it onto some kind of necklace (ball chain necklaces are most popular) or a keychain ring.
I haven't done this myself with blindbags but I've done similar things with other ponies, twisting the screws in carefully by hand or with some pliers shouldn't be too hard. What I find most difficult is sourcing materials, you should be able to pick up this stuff at a hobby/craft/jewellery supplies store.

Hope I've helped, have fun! :)
:glitter: ISO MIB SWEETIE PUP :glitter:
OLD ENGLISH SHEEPDOG

Wilford B Wolf

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2012, 12:43:39 AM »
eeeeeeek...i dot like the idea of punching a hole in them for an eyelet that will eventualy wear and fall out

i came up with a MUCH better SOLID solution specific to the blindbags..along with an extra bonus "twist" ...ill grab some pics in the morning

now i will warn you it does require some extra time and care but in the end youll end up with a pony that will last the LONG HAUL

first off youve gotta "pop" the glue off in the head so you can slip it off..not half as hard as it sounds really..there is also a "tab" where the hair meets the body thats glued as well it can be trickier..just have some patiance

after thats done grab some piano/craft wire..i used something a lil smaller than pencil lead in stainless steel..mind you stainless is a BEAR to work with and will require getting it RED HOT..i found some screwdrivers the size of a blind bag neck and used that as a template with the wire..heating and wraping and then bending the back over into a loop big enuf for a keyring to get ahold of.....now i did have to do a lil trimming with dashies mane to fit the collar but the hoop fits snuggly between her wings...glue head back on and your done

now onto the "bonus" ..raioshack sells "rare earth" magnets for projects..they sell some that are a little bigger than the pin hole in the blind bag hooves...i found a drill bit a smidge smaller than the mags and drilled ALL 4 hooves put glue in the hooves and pressed in the magnets....my dashie has held the keys on my handlebars of my street bike...a rough road caused them to pop out she hung onto my dangling keys.....she has made about 2500 miles or so clinging to my handlebars with just her hooves and has crossed the canadian boarder as well as rode the ferry

here is a teaser that i have right now...ill get closeups in the morning for you..i "might" have pics stashed on my pc of the build itself
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Scraleos

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2012, 12:44:26 AM »
Just putting the screw in a pony is really hard. Stick a sewing needle in her first; then carefully try to screw in the eyelet screw :) it took me a few times to get the screw in at first, but the hole the needle left helped a lot.

Trade | Wanted | Pony Plushies

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2012, 02:35:13 AM »
Just putting the screw in a pony is really hard. Stick a sewing needle in her first; then carefully try to screw in the eyelet screw :) it took me a few times to get the screw in at first, but the hole the needle left helped a lot.

Yes this worked for me...eyelet screws into plastic like this are hard wearing enough for a key ring or phone chain...unless you are going to be seriously punishing it should last.

But I guess if Dash is going a roadtrip she may need to be more securely in place! That sounds like a great solution for what you need Wilford B Wolf!
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline Tulips

• Sweetie Pups Nut
  • Trade Count: (+65)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Tiptoe Through The Tulips
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2012, 04:08:55 AM »
Wow Wilford B Wolf, I didn't even know you could get their heads off, excellent method! lol
:glitter: ISO MIB SWEETIE PUP :glitter:
OLD ENGLISH SHEEPDOG

Offline daydreamwinn

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+106)
  • Magic Fantasy Hair Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2012, 04:17:32 AM »
Although I haven't tried this with the blind bag ponies, I have made numerous keychains from the McDonalds ponyville ponies.  I always add a drop of tacky glue once I've gotten the hole started to help it hold a bit better.  I've had a pony on my keys for about 3 or 4 years without any problems.  In fact, I would expect all the paint to come off before the keychain breaks!

Offline ApertureScience

• Forever Ouchy Roids
  • Trade Count: (+40)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2012, 07:35:10 AM »
Oh, wow!  You guys are awesome!  Thanks so much for the help!

Heh, I'm probably going to carry every one of my own collection around on my :muffin: Pony messenger bag around college. XP

Offline Scraleos

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2012, 07:56:58 AM »
I take my :muffin: Pony bag to college too XD I'm afraid to put any ponies on mine in case they break off ;-;

Trade | Wanted | Pony Plushies

Offline Opalescence

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Dance N' Prance Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2012, 08:56:55 AM »

Ingredients:
1 pony (except Pinkie Pie and her recolors)
1 piece of dogtag chain
1 of those connector pieces that you get along the dogtag chain.

Assembly:
1. pull dogtag chain through the hole in the pony's tail
2. pull dogtag chain through a keyring
3. put the ends into the connector piece
4. press connector piece together
5. enjoy your pony keychain

Wilford B Wolf

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2012, 10:04:54 PM »
heres some "better" shots of how i did my dashie..also a note of unexpected error?..she managed to actualy stay perfectly balanced as in shy flys right when i slip my key ring on like a RING on my pinkie(old habit)

yeah..shes dirty..yeah she gets pretty beat up as keys have a habit of getting beat up..so..anyone wanting to make a keychain out of a pony id HIGHLY recomend a QUALITY HEAVY clear coat ..her twin sitting here is clear coated and ready to become a keychain at a moments notice

yes the heads come off and there is a "notch" in the LONG neck that locates the head incase anyone wants to "turn" them...i should also note there is 2 tabs in the flyers for the hair to "locate" 1 in the center of the wings the other is on there left side just out from the neck....head removeal should be done with a good bit of patiance..im still looking for the pics i took of the job itself but i cant find them

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal