collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: To behead or not to behead  (Read 1032 times)

Offline sentimental

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Fancy Pants Baby
  • stuck in a utopia of sentimental androids !
    • View Profile
To behead or not to behead
« on: December 12, 2020, 11:12:05 AM »
Howdy-do everyone!

I've been meaning to get around to cleaning some project ponies I got a few months back but have been a little confused about
the basic process and etiquette of cleaning G1s.
Mainly, if I should behead them to clean their insides?

I've been restoring my G3s for the majority of the year and didn't bother beheading any of those girlies just due to how aggressive the
G3 glue can be, but even then I feel it might have been wiser to behead anyways to avoid chances of molding etc etc...

What would y'all recommend? Thank you so much in advance for your help !!  :heart:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
please call me senti! ♡ my instagrammy g3 wishlistsig artwork by me

Offline Safflower

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Whatever shall I put here? (she/her)
    • View Profile
Re: To behead or not to behead
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2020, 11:31:48 AM »
You really only need to open me up if you think there’s something funky going on. Rust is the main issue; you can usually see it on the tail, though sometimes you have to look pretty hard. In my experience, rust is much more common than mold. If the heads are loose already I would take them off anyways as to not risk water get in.

As for your G3s, as long as you were careful not to get water inside and dried them thoroughly they should be fine :) If you’re concerned you can always check every so often. It’s pretty unlikely you’ll rust/mold your ponies as long as you dry them; it’s harder than you’d think.

。.:☆*:・~celestial ponies are best ponies~・:*☆:.
~thanks to the wonderful Griffin for my sig!~

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2020, 02:00:33 PM »
I agree. Beheading is far too common lately as a standard cleaning process and it shouldn't be. If the pony has major internal problems, then fine. If you know they've been in super damp conditions then opening a pony to check even if it has no obvious signs is also maybe okay. But damaging a pony unnecessarily is really wasted effort and devalues the item.

I recently was looking at ponies on ebay and as soon as I saw the pony had had its tail washer replaced, I closed the auction. I mean, credit to the person who was very honest about what had been done, but it's no longer a guarantee that that pony is authentic once the seal has been broken. Aside damaging the pony permanently by breaking the original seal, it's a lot harder down the line for someone buying a pony with a loose head/replaced tail washer/whatever to know for sure that it hasn't been rerooted or restored in other ways. Even if the person selling is 100% honest, if it's gone through multiple hands, these details can be lost.

So yeah. My mantra for pony is always do no harm. If it's not gunky or suspicious, let it be.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline dragonfly

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+65)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2020, 05:35:50 PM »
I've never seen beheading as a problem as many G1s heads came loose long before they were collectors items. That said, there can be and have been occurrences in the past of rehairs not being properly identified and the provenance can get lost over time the more a pony changes hands. Pony heads can also be resealed if someone is bent on deception which is a fairly rare case. Unless you have a reason to get in there and clean from the inside, I would leave it alone. For example, mold can grow inside of ponies that have been submerged in water for prolonged periods of time.

Offline SpacePinto

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2020, 08:31:43 PM »
I once had an idea to remove Wind Whistler's head to hide an investment diamond inside her (once I buy one) in case of a robbery, kind of making her the secret keeper of my treasures, but now I'm glad I never actually went through with it.
Inka Dinka Doo

Offline MintyMyndi

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2020, 08:52:36 PM »
I once had an idea to remove Wind Whistler's head to hide an investment diamond inside her (once I buy one) in case of a robbery, kind of making her the secret keeper of my treasures, but now I'm glad I never actually went through with it.
I once used a fakie to store money when saving up for a large multi-pony pack's release!

Yeah, if it's not visibly necessary, don't open them. I did have two ponies come to me reeking of (undisclosed!) cigarette smoke, so I decided to wash them inside and out to get it taken care of. I took out their tails to avoid moistening the tail washer, and in doing so, found that one washer had a bit of rust on it. I cleaned it with knockoff CLR from Dollar Tree, then coated the washer with clear nail polish (the best thing I had on hand at the time). I feel she's better off for it, though none of it even made a mark on the tail. She's one I plan to customize, so it shouldn't do anything to her value.
Here's my ACNH creator code. I thought I might share it, since I have quite a few pony designs.
MA-2882-9995-3504

Offline Griffin

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+89)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • aka Haawan | she/her
    • View Profile
    • Haawan Pony Customs
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2020, 10:11:52 AM »
I echo what everyone else is saying... I don't see it as a crime to behead a pony for a thorougher cleaning, but it does affect the value in my eyes, and I would only do it if I suspected a problem (tail rust, in most cases).

deviantART | Haawan Pony Customs | Aithne reference
Avatar by FizzyScrumptious, signature by tailrustedtealeaf - thank you ♥

Offline RoseNoire

• Scribbles Pony
  • pony count : 243
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2020, 11:07:00 AM »
All in all, I don't mind a beheaded pony only if it was done for reasonable restoration purposes, such as removing mold or tail rust. If I were to buy such a pony, I would want a documentation of his restoration. (By whom, when, rehair or not, which product used, etc) But really, I never bought ponies from collectors yet, I'm only finding them in the wild so I am the restorer for my own collection. If the beheading makes sense, it wouldn't devalue it to me. I'd rather have an opened pony rather than a molded sealed one.
Rusty/frizzy pony restoration tutorial
Drink'n'wet pony restoration tutorial
G3 Twist and Style petal parlor thorough cleaning
My collection | My drawings
-> Made by Witchvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
-> Made by Starrynights

Offline bright rabbit 1

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Titan Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2020, 11:17:45 AM »
I only behead and re hair G1 ponies (well my dad or brother do the beheading).

I customise my doubles to keep.

A mother pony can be protective of her young just like dogs.

Friend Code: SW-4221-8531-0056

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2020, 12:06:30 PM »
Wonder if any potential newcomers have seen this thread title and fled the website?
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline SpacePinto

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2020, 12:26:39 PM »
Wonder if any potential newcomers have seen this thread title and fled the website?

I'm more worried about those who joined because they saw the thread title.
Inka Dinka Doo

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2020, 12:29:25 PM »

I'm more worried about those who joined because they saw the thread title.

:lol: :devious:
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2020, 05:49:13 PM »
I beheaded all mine as a child to keep water out.  Head turning doesn’t change the amount I’m willing to pay for ponies.  I also don’t mind washer replacement.  Rust and gunk in a pony is disgusting and I’m always glad it was taken care of.  But, I understand how others might feel differently about head turning.  To me, it’s just as good or even better because I can keep the pony clean if any water gets inside.

As a side note, I only open new ponies in my collection if I suspect mold solely because how others feel about it.  Holding ponies up to a light source can sometimes reveal whether a pony needs inside cleaning.
Sig art by SquarePeg!

Offline dannahbanana

• Captain Jack Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Pony Instagram 💖
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2020, 02:16:52 AM »

But if the robber also happens to be a pony collector, they may take your Wind Whistler and then you are screwed! Very unlikely though.  :lol:

Offline SpacePinto

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2020, 06:18:28 AM »
But if the robber also happens to be a pony collector, they may take your Wind Whistler and then you are screwed!

Nope, THEY are.

Inka Dinka Doo

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal