collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Do you think certain gens did certain species better/worse then others?  (Read 2463 times)

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
And if so, what do you think they did best/worst in?

I think G1 did especially well with their Unicorns, there are so many favorites, Windy, Gusty, Fizzy, Red Roses, Twist, Ribbon the list goes on. Granted G1 did almost everything first and better.

Edit:  I think the worst they did were Teeny Tiny Newborns, I don't like them.  BBEs creep me out. They trigger my doll/puppet fears.

Edit: I don't know enough about G2 to comment, so I'll leave that to the more knowledgable pony peeps. The babies are adorable though! Oh and I love their bolder color combos and symbols.

The G2 molds turn me away.

G3-Earth Ponies are the obvious answer since there are more of those then anything else and it was the first gen to not have any males. For shame, but many of their Earth Ponies are truly gorgeous! Alphabittle, Midnight Dreams, Meadowbrook, Seascape, Firewater, Tropical Surprise. 

Edit: They made some fantastic Pegasus too like Silver Glow, Royal Rose, Aurora Mist, Twinkle Bloom and Pearly Pie.

I think the one thing they did wrong though is the Unicorns.  Not only were there too few of them, but most of them have color schemes that, IMPO clash badly and I don't understand why. Especially when the G3 line had so many stunning color schemes and the ones that didn't clash were a bit bland and overdone. I can think of three unicorns I would want and I already own one of them. 

I dunno enough about G3.5 to comment, but considering they all seemed to be smaller, bobblehead versions of G3...well. There are fans of this Gen that can elaborate.

G4 Unipegs-They're all gorgeous for how few of them there are, especially Luna and Nightmare Moon. The only one I think is on the blah side is Cadence. Other then that, we need more Unipegs. Alicorns. Whatever you wanna call em.

I like the species variety in the boys and the more normalish horsey faces too. I just wish that boy brushables didn't equal troll doll hair.

Edit: The worst thing G4 does is the molds period. They have tiny little mouths, the heads are too round and too big for their bodies, almost like a Chihuahua's and they have big Bambi ears. You'd think that Hasbro had never seen a horse before in their entire lives. I can't understand why they would do this.

Edit: EQGs. Hasbro, if you wanna make your own line of brushable dolls, then either resurrect a classic Jem line for kids and people who can't afford the Integrity line, the Moon Dreamers or the GI Joes girls, or make up a brand new line out of thin air. I buy MLP because they're ponies. You are not Breyers, you do not need to have riders for your horses and yes I know your trying to compete with MH.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2015, 10:30:10 AM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Haruna

• Ninja Pony
  • Trade Count: (+64)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Many thanks to Nence for my beautiful avatar!
    • View Profile
Re: Do you think certain gens did certain species better/worse then others?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2015, 09:09:28 AM »
Interesting question. I would say that G4 has done the best so far with its male ponies (even if there are very few actual male pony brushables). I love G1 boys, but it doesn't make sense that all the boys in that generation are earth ponies and clydesdales, given, of course, that clydesdales in real life are both male and female! G2 had a few boys, but only earth ponies. G3 had no boy ponies, sadly. I applaud G4 for having boy ponies of every stripe -- unicorns, pegasi, earth ponies. I also think it makes a lot of sense that G4 has a comparatively larger amount of boy characters than any other generation. It just makes for a more realistic fantasy world. 

I guess that's more to do with the FIM show than the toy ponies, though . . . as far as produced toy ponies, I do think that occasionally G3 poses are better-proportioned than G1 poses. And this is coming from someone who loves G1 dearly and actively collects only that generation! The G3 unicorns, for example, have a very pretty head-to-horn-size ratio. I can't remember her name, but I especially love the light blue unicorn with rainbow hair's pose. :blush: She was my first G3 unicorn, a gift, and I've always thought she was very pretty.

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2015, 10:32:21 AM »
I'm biased. G1 did everything best for me, and much more diversity.

Not all G1 boys are Clydesdales, anyway. Noodles, Baby Schoolbag, Sportstime, the 3 familt friends dads, and in the UK at least, newborn twin unicorn Sniffles were all male. And if we're counting nonexistant tv ep boys, let me add Lancer, Teddy, Ace, Corny, Logan to that list too....not to mention all the various dads from the Tales eps and the Caretaker. You might even count Nightshade, to be honest. He's some kind of equine!

Sniffles is an anomaly as he is a girl I think in America, but I liked the idea of recessive gender specific features - feathered hooves for guys, wings or horns for girls. It just seemed to be part of ponyland's genetic rules.

G4 are the only ones to use wings and horns I think, one of the releases of Cadance is especially pretty, as are several of Luna. Otherwise, though, G1 for everything. I liked that Hasbro could make mistakes and experiment still in G1, even if, like the flutters, it went a bit wrong...

I think g3 did plush best, if that counts. I have a gorgeous huge Sunny Daze from Australia who I love. The G1 plushes are a bit unhuggable, unless you count the PJ cases.

G2 did graceful ponies very well. I still prefer SHS, but Princess Silver Swirl is a stunning pony.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Sunset

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2015, 12:36:03 PM »
I really like the g1 boys!

I don't know about species but there are certain features that I think each gen has done well.  Generally, g1 is my first love and adore almost everything about it.  I especially appreciate rainbow hair in this gen when both mane and tail had the full rainbow. 

However, I do love the detailing in G3 eyes.  The shading, the shine, especially when it is different or reflects the pony's individual design.  I also like the variety in hair design.  Not only different colors but all kinds of different stripes of different widths.

For G4, I think that the playful sized Pegasus have especially nice wings.  Nicely placed and positioned and nicely proportioned.  I also really like the Build a Bear plushes.  They are probably my favorite plushes of any gen.

Offline BlushingBlue

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2015, 03:06:51 PM »
I think G1 did seaponies best! Mainly because no other gen even tried, but hey. :P G1 wingers are far superior to the G3/G4 breezies, imo. Not species-related, but I think G1s also had the best color parity. Each set had the old pink and purple standbys, but there was also plenty of room for white, blue, yellow, green, and orange. G1 also gets points for having a slightly better gender balance.

I sadly don't know enough about G2s to really say what they do well... The later years of the line saw some really out-there symbols, which is pretty much the last time Hasbro dared to push their creativity in that regard. :lol: And G2 gets props for having the first alicorns.

G3 almost had the best pegasus ponies, but they sadly backed off from their initial dramatic design and went with "plain pony + misshapen anime-esque wing lumps" instead. I liked how each G3 species had their own culture and land independent of "Ponyville" -- but unfortunately, this didn't get translated into the toy line except for making non-earth ponies relatively scarce. :( Again, not species related, but I enjoyed how the G3 line had a lot of "special edition" ponies (art, charity, convention, pony project, etc) that were aimed at older fans.

G3.5.... Honestly, I'm hard-pressed to find something to work with here. Oh, I thought it was kind of neat that they had noticeably different ages within the group without making it "moms-and-babies". I found it sort of sweet that Cheerilee and Scootaloo became sisters, mainly because their names are similarly silly. :P

I kinda lost track of the G4 line, so I don't know if my thoughts would change with more info, but G4 seems to have the best alicorns. The G4 pegasus wings look like they might actually be functional, so they've got that going for them. :) The unicorns' horns are ridiculously stumpy though. Only princesses get to have both proper horns and wings, I guess.

Offline LadyLuckyLeaf

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+48)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • formerly BabyTwilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2015, 03:24:05 PM »
I'm with you! I think G1 did almost everything superiorly. I don't care one bit for G2s. G3s were OK. G4 I honestly don't even understand. Haha.

Babies: G1 was by far the best. G3 babies look a little off in their proportions. Like their legs are huge and their heads are tiny.

Sea Ponies: As much as I wish they were done beyond G1, I'm not sure another generation could have done them as well.

Wingers: Is there even any question? G1 all the way.

Pegasi: I actually kind of prefer the wings of G3. I like that they have more separation from the body and are a bit more elongated.

Unicorns: The G1 Moondancer pose kind of horrifies me. Otherwise, G1 because it seems G3 was mostly earth ponies.

Boys: G4 has boys right? Still, G1 wins.

Unipegs: I wish G1 would have done them! Think of it!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2015, 03:42:32 PM »
I'm really loving your guys answers.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline shelvesofwhimsy

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Shelvesofwhimsy
    • View Profile
    • Toy Collector & Miniature Maker
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2015, 03:56:08 PM »
I think I will always be bias to G1 since I grew up with it, but I do think they did most things better.
One thing I do like about FIM is the show (for the most part). I love the G1 movie and episodes as well, but I wish there were more of them that just had more story lines.

Theres going to be so many people touching on similar things but I think that's just one thing I would have loved more of :)

Offline VanillaBean

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.VanillaTwist.deviantart.com
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2015, 03:14:32 PM »
G1 had the most appealing babies, IMO. Their proportions are perfect & they have such endearing faces, without looking forced. The poses are adorable too. Who could resist a little candy-coloured equine with their head raised curiously, or crouched ready to play?  ^.^
G1 also wins for its Wingers (those delicate little butterfly wings & weather/flying critter designs are a match made in Heaven) & its variety of colours & poses.
It's difficult to imagine a grey mare being produced in any other generation.
The only thing I think G1 did worst was its plushies; they've always looked really odd to me.  :blink:

Having grown up with G2, I adore it, but the over-abundance of pink always bothered me.
However, the later lines seemed to experiment more with bold colour schemes & quirky symbols. We ended up getting beauties like Copper Glow, Princess Crystal, Seabreeze, Water lily & Snowball, to name a few.
So G2 wins points for pushing the design boundaries. I also like their logo & plush range best. Those beanies are so precious.  :heart:
Props for creating the first winged unicorns too, although personally I would have preferred to see molded wings, rather than clip-on.

I adore G3: the variety of poses, colours & designs were all spot-on.
There are some really striking colour combinations: Wishawhirl, Garden Glade, Citrus Sweetheart, Denim Blue & Applejack are some of the ponies that spring to mind.
Methinks G3 had the best boxart; Ponyville looks like such an idyllic, inviting place to live, & the character profiles for each pony are a really nice touch.
However, I've never been a fan of their baby ponies; they have such bizarre anatomy & look... stumpy.

G3.5... let's not go there.  :lol:

I'm not a fan of the G4 toyline at all. The style just doesn't seem to translate very well from cartoon to 3D.
The range of non-show characters they produced in the early days was promising, but now they've resorted to churning out endless clones of the Mane Six with slightly different features each time.
I've also found most of their gimmicks to be trashy & ugly, particularly when they spatter the ponies with random decals. The complete lack of quality control is the most off-putting thing of all.
It also looks really lazy when they slap the same old vectors on every single piece of merchandise.
After that rant, I will say that G4 Pegasus wings look the best out of all gens, IMO. They're actually very nicely molded, & I like the way they stand out from the body, making the species more unique.  :lol:

Hunting for G2 MLP & Pretty Pony Club magazines! :)

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2015, 08:10:42 PM »
G1 wins hands down for me, in almost every way; color mixing, style, size, accessory variety, gimmicks.
Exceptions worth noting - I like the raised wings in the G4 style, and prefer the smaller rhinestones of G2 vs the full eye Twinkle-Eyes of G1. G2 and G3 failed horribly in color balance - too much pink/purple/white, near impossible to find a pony without one of those three. 
G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2015, 09:12:22 PM »
G1 had the best unicorns.  The horns seemed proportionate, not too long or too short.  I'm really disappointed that the G4 horns are so stubby, even on the adults.  Shorter than their ears, really?  G1 is also the most diverse generation.  I love the sea ponies, the flutters (even though their wings break), and the huge number of baby ponies.

On the other hand, G4 has the best pegasus wings, hands down.  (Except the Fashion Stylings. They have terrible wings.)  I love how they stand out from the body and how you can clearly see the feathers.  It's like they took the best aspects of wings from G1 (feathers) and G3 (wings away from body).

G3 was mostly Earth ponies and, well, an Earth pony is an Earth pony.  Their poses were more consistent than G1 and usually very well-proportioned.  Their eyes were more naturally placed than G1s which look, uh, "interesting" when viewed from the front and they had really cute ears.

G2 ponies is only gen where all the ponies had distinct hooves.  Their ears are also very literally horse-like.

G3.5 . . . exists.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline scarletjul

• Trade Count: (+260)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2015, 10:23:27 PM »
I think g1 was the best at being experimental.  We got sea ponies, wingers, flutters, babies in multiple sizes, etcetera.  :)

I also believe g1 was the best at babies because they made multiple sizes.  Their porportions fit with the adults, there was more than one mold/species.  I also like their early unicorns, which seem closest to traditional unicorns.  Some of them are just gorgeous.

I like the g2's elegance, especially in their Pegasus and unipegs.  There's something very lovely about Golden Glow, Copper Glow and the like.

I think the g3s did pegasus ponies best.  The proportions are nice, theirs a good number of them and a the color combos of some are lovely.

G4 seems to be doing well with the blind bags/molded figures.  There's a lot of diversity there, especially in comparison to the g1 petites.  And now we're getting new poses and playsets.  Its definitely something that no other gen has done as well, IMHO.

I'll give G3.5 credit for...  Adding to the canon.  :)
Sales on HOLD!
Pony sales!

Offline Moonbreeze

• Trade Count: (+204)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • G2 nut
    • View Profile
    • My personal site
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2015, 01:55:14 AM »
G1 for all the different types of ponies. Wingers, flutters, seaponies etc.

G2 for winged unicorns and their overall pony design. More elegant and horse-like in my eyes (except for the noses) G2's had some great accessories, playsets and lovely colour combos (I am not biased at all). But I wish they'd made some real pegasi

G3 pegasus wings, not sticked on the body. Also, I like the idea of Unicornia and Butterfly Island  :satisfied: The fact that there wasn't a singly boy pony still irks me :P

G3.5 hmmn...? (eat-sleep-clone-repeat?)

G4 Best pegasus wing award :) Also real winged unicorns ;) But too much pink and too little done for the brushable line.

Offline BlushingBlue

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2015, 12:42:25 PM »
One other thing I forgot to mention in favor of G3 was the holiday ponies. So many lovely and unique Winter, Spring/Easter, Valentine, and Halloween ponies to look forward to each year! Until the Core 7 came to town and every release was a rereleased rerelease, but all good things must end.

I feel bad saying it, but I think G3 babies are really uncute compared to G1. Their proportions are way off, and their faces lack all innocence. Most of the G3 babies are little delinquents in my head.

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2015, 02:27:32 PM »
I think because of the variety and the way there is clear deliniation between each type of pony it has to be G1. Other than the Teeny Tinies I think everything works really well - keeps everything in a clear style but obvious differences between what is what and who is who.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal