collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Who do you think has the most complete collection?  (Read 752 times)

Online Loa

• Queen of Sloths
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
    • View Profile
Who do you think has the most complete collection?
« on: April 09, 2022, 04:33:15 PM »
(It's not me!)

I suspect it could be Sebby.  :P

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thank you SquarePeg!
My Instagram - MLPArena's Instagram - My Sales on Trade Me!

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
Re: Who do you think has the most complete collection?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2022, 05:40:24 AM »
Jewel? Her collection is crazy awesome.

Oh and um... I can't remember her name but she has all the OOAK Nirvana ponies.

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline nhal039

• Trade Count: (+171)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2022, 12:17:36 PM »
Wizzer

Offline Beth3346

• Trade Count: (+91)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • she/her/hers - Baby Mint Dreams by Lady Satine
    • View Profile
    • My Little Pony Collection
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2022, 12:28:10 PM »
Jewel? Her collection is crazy awesome.

Oh and um... I can't remember her name but she has all the OOAK Nirvana ponies.

Ember something i think.
Current Grails - Dutchies, Princess Variants PM me if you have any for sale - Want List

Offline Ponybookworm

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • MOC Mimic
  • All Pony Literature appreciated!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2022, 01:30:08 PM »
Somebody on the UK Pony forum displayed her collection in a museum once. It was very extensive (more than mine for certain)
My Mascots (so far): Twisty Tail, G2 Trixiebelle, Starcatcher, Twilight Sparkle. All variants & pictures of these are appreciated. Piccies courtesy of Griffin, Blumiere, Littlebabyribbon, & Starscout

Offline Snapdragon

• Trade Count: (+103)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2022, 11:07:21 PM »
I always wonder about the people who never post on the forums... I wonder how many people are out there, never say a word publicly, with massive collections that fill a whole house?! :shocked:
Commissions and sales are currently closed due to pandemic.~*~Sales!~*~Want List ~*~JAFFACAKE!

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2022, 03:31:23 AM »
If talking about G1, in the way back when, it would have been Helen, but since she passed and her collection was sold off, I don't really think of anyone having a near complete collection.

Wizzer might be the closest, but the thing is a lot of the people being mentioned have niche focuses in their collection and so they don't actually have a 'complete' collection, just a really deep one in their chosen area.

Wondermint's collection was the one that went on display in Dudley. That's not too far from us and Dad and I went to see it. It's a big collection but not 'complete'. The real standout thing about her collection was her depth of accessories. THat was pretty awesome. Which is kind of the thing - each collection has something in strength and something in absentia.

Also, does completion count across generations or just in one gen?

I think it's really hard to judge those things these days.

« Last Edit: April 11, 2022, 03:32:55 AM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Beth3346

• Trade Count: (+91)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • she/her/hers - Baby Mint Dreams by Lady Satine
    • View Profile
    • My Little Pony Collection
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2022, 07:03:54 AM »
with all of the OOAK nirvanas i doubt it's possible for anyone to have a truly complete collection.

maybe if there were a canonical list of ponies for each generation? that list could exclude OOAK, prototypes etc. i'm not sure if anyone has that. I tried for G1-G3 but i find making lists of ponies makes me want to buy ponies
:devious:
Current Grails - Dutchies, Princess Variants PM me if you have any for sale - Want List

Offline goddessofpeep

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2022, 09:43:57 AM »
There are probably a few people who have the most complete of a sub-collection, but with all the generations, variants, and just general mass of stuff to collect, it’s impossible to collect all of MLP at the the highest levels.  People who are sinking $3000+ for individual nirvana ponies aren’t generally going after G4 variants from Chinese websites or tracking down the G2 petites.

My collection is quite huge, and it is very wide(all gens, accessories, merch, etc), but it’s impossible to complete every possible part of every generation.  There just have to be holes somewhere.  I may have “the most complete collection” of a few very specific things, but I also have massive holes elsewhere. I’d say my collection is higher tier, but it’s not nearly as big as some I’ve seen.  I have a friend who has a much more complete collection than I do in almost every way, but she doesn’t collect G2 or nirvanas, so she has those holes.

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2022, 12:02:15 PM »
All the people looking for Baby Sugarcake?
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2022, 06:41:03 PM »
KCat?  MustBeJewel?
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Ponyrama_95

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Fancy Pants Baby
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2022, 01:06:18 AM »
I once saw a Youtube video of a collector who owned over 1000 ponies, including the rarest and most expensive ones such as Mimic, Rapunzel, Baby Sugarcake and Mommy & Baby.

how big does a collection of ponies have to be, in order to be considered a huge collection?

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2022, 01:38:01 AM »
I once saw a Youtube video of a collector who owned over 1000 ponies, including the rarest and most expensive ones such as Mimic, Rapunzel, Baby Sugarcake and Mommy & Baby.

how big does a collection of ponies have to be, in order to be considered a huge collection?

I wouldn't call 1000 ponies a huge collection, honestly...depending on whether that's just G1 or across all gens, too.

Having OOAK ponies, rare variants, ponies sold in limited places (like alt birthflowers etc) and a wide global range of ponies (including releases from all regions, not just one) would probably be factors.

I mean, our collection meets most of those criteria but not the Nirvana one. We're well over 1000 ponies just in G1, but that doesn't mean that we're anywhere near the most complete or comprehensive.

And I think most currently active collectors with large collections are kind of like that. I have a lot of backcards and such. Others have a lot of merchandise. And so on. But it doesn't make one better than another because fundamentally they're about equal.

Mimic is also expensive but not that rare. The other ponies you list (Punzie, the mum and baby, etc) are actually among the more common 'rare' ponies due to their mass production. They're not on the same level of rarity as some of the Nirvana ponies, and there are some ponies sold in limited regions which mean a lot fewer were produced. Mimic is pretty common, though. She just costs a lot because the fandom has been making her into an icon for at least the last 2 and a half decades. Even baby Sugarcake, who is the missing piece in our collection, isn't super extremely rare. She's rare enough to be expensive but she's still more common than some of the other ponies being mentioned. The reason we still don't have her is because I won't spend $500ish on a pony, not because I haven't had about fifty opportunities to do so over the years. The only reason we have all the others is because we traded for them years and years ago when prices were less nuts and trade ratios were very different.

But 500$ is kind of peanuts compared with some of the prices people pay for certain Nirvana ponies. We're talking four or even, sometimes, five figures for some of them.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2022, 01:41:14 AM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Barnacle_lady

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2022, 09:15:06 AM »
I also find it hard to determine what a complete collection is.

I have a 1000+ ponies gens 1 to 4 with also hard to find stuff. It may not be American or British largest collection but it is one of the largest in The Netherlands. If it comes to official stuff. I only know a few people with such a large collection.

Bronies over here also have a large g4 collection, but most of them are not made by Hasbro. So also complete?

So yeah what is "most" complete?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal