collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Customizers' chit-chat thread  (Read 47910 times)

Offline Primaltimediamond

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Fancy Pants Baby
    • View Profile
Re: Customizers' chit-chat thread
« Reply #435 on: August 28, 2022, 04:27:56 AM »
I've made a Pokemon character custom pony, Piers from Sword and shield! For my next project, I've gone way more ambitious!
I'm planning to make custom ponies out of Emperor Belos and Hunter from The owl house. Not only that I wanna pick up sewing so I can make several outfits they are seen wearing throughout the show and the like. I also plan on surprising a friend of mine with a custom mlp of her oc, she's not big into mlp but I think she'll like it regardless!

Piers was my first custom and I'll admit I really got the taste now!

If anyone wants to buy blank ponies (or mostly blank) I'd recommend Ahorseofeverycolor on Etsy, they sell blank pony bases and even several accessories you can customize! That blank seashell base of theirs def makes me wanna make a custom sea pony haha

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #436 on: August 28, 2022, 11:45:56 AM »
You should post pics of your custom :)

Yes, there are a few different sites to get blanks, or rehaired blanks from. The others are https://www.clipperssail.com/shop and there is one in the UK.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

• Fancy Pants Baby
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: September 16, 2022, 02:41:09 PM »
any reason why there are no custom G2 ponies? I've mostly seen G1 and G3 customs but i don't think i've seen g2 customs

Offline Pokeyonekenobie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: September 16, 2022, 03:42:18 PM »
any reason why there are no custom G2 ponies? I've mostly seen G1 and G3 customs but i don't think i've seen g2 customs

Probably because they're not as widely available. I grew up with G1 ponies and didn't know G2s existed until after G3 was over.  They were more popular/available in Europe than the US.  The US is such a large area that ponies released here are released in large numbers, which makes them more readily available for customizers to find in bait condition.  When shipping prices weren't so crazy, it was easy for those living outside of the US to get US released ponies.  European ponies were still harder to get in the US due to low production numbers and G2s are part of the collection that is harder to get ahold of because of that.  I also think that most customizers didn't really get started until the G3s came out.  There were some G1s that were customized but the popularity of customizing didn't take off until G3, probably because there were so many bases to pick from and there were very few that were considered rare or hard to find.  Since they were in current production there was a lot less guilt about it than using G1s that were no longer in production.

I have seen some G2 customs, but mostly from European customizers. 
« Last Edit: September 16, 2022, 04:03:58 PM by Pokeyonekenobie »

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #439 on: September 17, 2022, 05:46:05 AM »
Someone just posted a G2 custom Harley Quinn :)

You do see them every once in a while. I have a whole box of baity G2s myself, I just prefer to work with G1 or G3.

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed

Offline Snapdragon

• Trade Count: (+103)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: September 22, 2022, 10:52:00 PM »
I also suspect it has to do with relative popularity! There aren't that many pony customizers compared to collectors, and that ratio goes way down in tandem with the G2 collectors. A lot of people simply don't collect or like them, so accordingly there's fewer customizers! Plus, I'm sure it's a struggle to sell art pieces in general; selling G2 customs must be exponentially more difficult. Why put the time and effort into something that may not sell?

I went to a pony meetup several years ago, and in the prize pile for the raffle (or maybe bingo?) was a beautiful G2 custom, a Merry Go Round styled G2. I picked her, and exclaimed how grateful I was to get her, when I was one of the last people to win a prize! And most of the collectors there didn't even realize she was a custom. I'm sure that wasn't a wholly representative slice of the pony populace, but it illustrates my point! (And no, I won't keep you waiting for a photo, LOL!)

This is her! She's gorgeous, and so well made! But no maker's mark, so I have no clue who made her! The host who donated her said she got her in an eBay lot! :(
Commissions and sales are currently closed due to pandemic.~*~Sales!~*~Want List ~*~JAFFACAKE!

• Fancy Pants Baby
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: September 24, 2022, 02:06:26 AM »
I forgot G2 did better in Europe hah, but that is a goregous custom! I saw two very baity G2's like manes entirely gone, missing strass stones, cutie marks rubbed off, tail almost cut entirely, poor girls! I was thinking to pick them up and customize them, well down the line as I already have several projects planned so that will be a while

I def would be both if I had room! collect and customize :D

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #442 on: October 31, 2022, 01:53:04 AM »
What is everyone working on? :)

I've got four customs lined up. One is a gift so I can't talk about it. One is a 3 year old WIP I want to finally finish. The other two are going to be a general spring pony and an Easter pony. I'll be making wool felted and polymer clay minis to go along with them.

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed

Offline starscout

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Target Exclusive Winter Pony
    • View Profile
    • Pony blog
« Reply #443 on: October 31, 2022, 04:34:58 AM »
I'm working three G4s and one G3, three of which involve sculpting... one of which involves A LOT of sculpting. :drunk: I've also got a baity G1 Bowtie that I think I might attempt to flock.

art commissions non-MLP sales post

Offline SunPony

• Trade Count: (+49)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: October 31, 2022, 03:27:30 PM »

I've got four customs lined up. One is a gift so I can't talk about it. One is a 3 year old WIP I want to finally finish. The other two are going to be a general spring pony and an Easter pony. I'll be making wool felted and polymer clay minis to go along with them.

I need to style the hair on my second, larger Sugar Moonlight custom!  I think I need some kind of gel or glue to keep the hair in position, I don't know much about styling other than boil perm curls :/

Other than that I want to prep a bait to make Thunder ("green guard" from G5) and send it and another pony to you (BC) for airbrushing!
Thanks to Shimmlight for the new avatar image  :biggrin:

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #445 on: November 01, 2022, 07:30:09 AM »
Great! I need to bust out the airbrush for what I'm working on too.

Depending on what you're trying to do with the hair you can use hairspray or even craft glue to keep it in place. I have one custom whose hair is all twisted up like a tornado and Mod Podge was used. It's still the same like 10 years later :lol:

A question: How would you guys feel about a wing tutorial? I'll be doing feathered wings on one of these customs and could take pics and write one up. They'll be made using polymer clay.

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed

Offline SunPony

• Trade Count: (+49)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: November 01, 2022, 09:36:20 AM »
Thanks for the hair tips, BC!

And I would be interested in the wing tutorial.  I don't have any immediate wing-related plans, but I'm a lifelong learner, lol
Thanks to Shimmlight for the new avatar image  :biggrin:

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #447 on: November 11, 2022, 06:15:57 AM »
Thanks for the input! I think I'll put one together when I start on these guys.

Another question! Do you sign your ponies with your real name or your online/art name? I have always done BC or in the beginning it was BCC for BlackCurtains Customs, but I dropped the second C at some point.

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed

Offline ChocolateStarfire

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • I Love Ponies...Always!
    • View Profile
    • Enchanting Customs
« Reply #448 on: November 11, 2022, 09:47:50 PM »
I also suspect it has to do with relative popularity! There aren't that many pony customizers compared to collectors, and that ratio goes way down in tandem with the G2 collectors. A lot of people simply don't collect or like them, so accordingly there's fewer customizers! Plus, I'm sure it's a struggle to sell art pieces in general; selling G2 customs must be exponentially more difficult. Why put the time and effort into something that may not sell?

I went to a pony meetup several years ago, and in the prize pile for the raffle (or maybe bingo?) was a beautiful G2 custom, a Merry Go Round styled G2. I picked her, and exclaimed how grateful I was to get her, when I was one of the last people to win a prize! And most of the collectors there didn't even realize she was a custom. I'm sure that wasn't a wholly representative slice of the pony populace, but it illustrates my point! (And no, I won't keep you waiting for a photo, LOL!)

This is her! She's gorgeous, and so well made! But no maker's mark, so I have no clue who made her! The host who donated her said she got her in an eBay lot! :(

That's a beautiful custom, it looks factory?!

Another question! Do you sign your ponies with your real name or your online/art name? I have always done BC or in the beginning it was BCC for BlackCurtains Customs, but I dropped the second C at some point.

I sign mine under a hoof with my RL initials, DLP. I have since I started customizing! :)
My MLP customs
My eBay Sales
Brightbow Avvy-SquarePeg :lovey: My pronouns-She/her and they/them  ^.^

Offline kaelynn

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
    • KaeLynn Design on Etsy
« Reply #449 on: January 03, 2023, 04:46:53 PM »
Just got back home after six weeks away and I'm itching to get back to the ponies!  :frolic:

So what is everyone working on right now?

I looked through my list of planned and in progress customs and I'm trying to figure out where to pick back up!  :rofl:

Of course I got ideas for a few more customs while I was away and one idea that's really sticking in my head is a Mandalorian/Grogu custom set using a baity Big Brother for Mando and a Breezie for Grogu.  It will be a challenge and a half that's for sure but it's exciting to think about.  :D

BC, I'd love to see a wing tutorial!  I've never done feathered wings using clay on a custom though I've thought about it many times.

Also, am I the only one who regularly forgets to sign my customs?   :argh:

Commissions are OPEN!
Find me on Instagram @ kaelynn_design
KaeLynn Design on Etsy - https://www.etsy.com/shop/KaeLynnDesign

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal