collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Customizers' chit-chat thread  (Read 47872 times)

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
Re: Customizers' chit-chat thread
« Reply #330 on: April 07, 2022, 01:54:38 PM »
LAW she was dyed in teal then dip-dyed in sapphire. Her teal hair was also dip-dyed. I've wanted to do a gradient Pony for ages, & Squalina was perfect for this with the countershading sharks have.

I've never owned an airbrush, & imagine it would be worse than my spray sealant in use

Well you did a wonderful job.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Ponybookworm

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • MOC Mimic
  • All Pony Literature appreciated!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: April 08, 2022, 09:45:54 PM »
Cheers xxx
My Mascots (so far): Twisty Tail, G2 Trixiebelle, Starcatcher, Twilight Sparkle. All variants & pictures of these are appreciated. Piccies courtesy of Griffin, Blumiere, Littlebabyribbon, & Starscout
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline bright rabbit 1

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Titan Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: April 14, 2022, 03:11:02 AM »
Just painted a articulated Chelsea body brown because I haven’t got a brown body for my AA Chelsea boy head, plus I’ve got other bodies to paint brown because the Chelsea girl dolls have that horrible painted on torso so I’ve got to paint another body brown.

Articulated Bodies that need to be brown:

Barbie Go Team Roberts Stacie x3
Barbie Go Team Roberts Skipper

Got the body tied to a planter outside the back to dry it.

A mother pony can be protective of her young just like dogs.

Friend Code: SW-4221-8531-0056

Offline lowpolyzoe

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain Jack Pony
  • Star Catcher Appreciator
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: April 18, 2022, 06:08:34 PM »
Hey, does anyone have any tutorials (written or video) on how to get started rehairing a small G4? I've never been able to get their heads off without breaking the neck ring, and I believe to get to the washer I'll have to remote the stump-thing that the head turns on. Does anyone have any resources onhand that could help? Thank you

Offline SunPony

• Trade Count: (+49)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: April 18, 2022, 07:37:13 PM »
Hey, does anyone have any tutorials (written or video) on how to get started rehairing a small G4? I've never been able to get their heads off without breaking the neck ring, and I believe to get to the washer I'll have to remote the stump-thing that the head turns on. Does anyone have any resources onhand that could help? Thank you

Hmm...I'm pretty sure I saw or read a nice tutorial somewhere when I first customized a G4 but that was about ten years ago and I don't know how to find it now.  But I can tell you how I do it currently!  I assume you mean the standard size brushable G4.  First, a warning - this method is somewhat dangerous as it involves boiling water and somewhat-risky use of a razor-sharp blade!

So, basically I use a saucepan of boiling water, tongs, a towel, and an X-acto knife with a fresh, pointy blade.  While you wait for the water to boil you can cut off the mane as close to the head as you can, and the tail unless you want to have it intact.  Once the water is boiling, just put the pony right in there, and you can turn off the heat at this time if you are just prepping the one pony. Let her simmer for a minute or so.  You can poke her with the tongs and she should feel soft.  Pull her out with the tongs and put her on the towel - be very careful as she may be full of hot water.  Use your hands wrapped in the towel to pop her head off.  Now here is the part where you can very easily injure yourself.  Stand the pony on her legs so the neck plug is straight up.  You are going to use the X-acto knife blade to CAREFULLY cut between the white plug and the colored pony neck.  Ideally your hand that is holding the pony is AWAY from the neck.  I wear leather gloves and just try to be very careful about what direction I am cutting.  Not only is this risky to you, but because the plug is a harder material than the pony neck, it is kind of easy to slip and cut through the neck.  I will alternate between doing this and putting the pony back in the water to reheat/re-soften, until I have cut all the way around the plug.  I wonder if adding acetone to the equation would help loosen the plug glue...I think I might have tried that once...hmm.  Anyway once the plug is loose you can remove it and get to the tail!

By the way, to remove the hair from inside the head I will pop it back in the hot water to resoften, then remove it and scrape the hair in there with some forceps/scissor blade/whatever.  Alternate scraping and heating as needed.  Some are easy, some are incredibly hard.  Again make sure you hold the head in the towel so you don't burn your hands on the hot plastic.

Anyway, it is quite the process, those plugs are really well glued sometimes, as is the hair.  >_<  I usually try to do a batch of several at a time so I have a rhythm going and a constant flow of pony parts between the towel area and the pot of water.

If you hate it and want a prepped G4 send me a PM, I always have several prepped ones sitting around.
Thanks to Shimmlight for the new avatar image  :biggrin:

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #335 on: April 18, 2022, 09:37:30 PM »
Thanks, Sunpony! I've never prepped a G4 either. That's good advice. I thought someone had done a tutorial but I can't find it.

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline kaelynn

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
    • KaeLynn Design on Etsy
« Reply #336 on: April 19, 2022, 05:42:47 AM »
Yep, I’ve only done a few G4s but I do it the same way as Sunpony. They’re a pain to get the heads off!

Commissions are OPEN!
Find me on Instagram @ kaelynn_design
KaeLynn Design on Etsy - https://www.etsy.com/shop/KaeLynnDesign

Offline Pokeyonekenobie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: April 19, 2022, 08:59:02 AM »
Yeah, G4s are hard but cute when they're done.  I have a baby G4 custom that someone requested from me and I've been putting it off because removing the heads is such a pain.  But I also have a set of G4 boys that I wanted to make so I really should just suck it up and prep them all at once.  Then I can have the fun of creating them.

Offline Griffin

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+89)
  • aka Haawan | she/her
    • View Profile
    • Haawan Pony Customs
« Reply #338 on: April 19, 2022, 11:15:44 AM »
Yep, I’ve only done a few G4s but I do it the same way as Sunpony. They’re a pain to get the heads off!

Me too. It's totally doable, just a bit tedious and somewhat risky!

deviantART | Haawan Pony Customs | Aithne reference
Avatar by FizzyScrumptious, signature by tailrustedtealeaf - thank you ♥

Offline Kazzellin

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: April 19, 2022, 02:32:27 PM »

Hmm...I'm pretty sure I saw or read a nice tutorial somewhere when I first customized a G4 but that was about ten years ago and I don't know how to find it now.  But I can tell you how I do it currently!  I assume you mean the standard size brushable G4.  First, a warning - this method is somewhat dangerous as it involves boiling water and somewhat-risky use of a razor-sharp blade!

So, basically I use a saucepan of boiling water, tongs, a towel, and an X-acto knife with a fresh, pointy blade.  While you wait for the water to boil you can cut off the mane as close to the head as you can, and the tail unless you want to have it intact.  Once the water is boiling, just put the pony right in there, and you can turn off the heat at this time if you are just prepping the one pony. Let her simmer for a minute or so.  You can poke her with the tongs and she should feel soft.  Pull her out with the tongs and put her on the towel - be very careful as she may be full of hot water.  Use your hands wrapped in the towel to pop her head off.  Now here is the part where you can very easily injure yourself.  Stand the pony on her legs so the neck plug is straight up.  You are going to use the X-acto knife blade to CAREFULLY cut between the white plug and the colored pony neck.  Ideally your hand that is holding the pony is AWAY from the neck.  I wear leather gloves and just try to be very careful about what direction I am cutting.  Not only is this risky to you, but because the plug is a harder material than the pony neck, it is kind of easy to slip and cut through the neck.  I will alternate between doing this and putting the pony back in the water to reheat/re-soften, until I have cut all the way around the plug.  I wonder if adding acetone to the equation would help loosen the plug glue...I think I might have tried that once...hmm.  Anyway once the plug is loose you can remove it and get to the tail!

By the way, to remove the hair from inside the head I will pop it back in the hot water to resoften, then remove it and scrape the hair in there with some forceps/scissor blade/whatever.  Alternate scraping and heating as needed.  Some are easy, some are incredibly hard.  Again make sure you hold the head in the towel so you don't burn your hands on the hot plastic.

Anyway, it is quite the process, those plugs are really well glued sometimes, as is the hair.  >_<  I usually try to do a batch of several at a time so I have a rhythm going and a constant flow of pony parts between the towel area and the pot of water.

If you hate it and want a prepped G4 send me a PM, I always have several prepped ones sitting around.
Also, for the love of everything, cut with the knife going *away* from your body and off-hand. Then if it slips, you're just cutting air, not another part of your body (like your other arm, chest, leg, etc.) :)

Good luck and have fun! :D
My creativity keeps running into a lack of time and resources.  :cry:
I'm also available via twitter at @Kazzellin :)

So many projects!! What do I want to work on? :awake:

Offline SunPony

• Trade Count: (+49)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: April 22, 2022, 04:05:34 PM »
I finished a custom I've been working on for literally years a few days ago.  But I haven't taken pictures yet.  I think the pictures won't do her justice so I'm hesitating.  Do you ever feel that way about a custom?  I don't really have any photography skills so  :huh:
Thanks to Shimmlight for the new avatar image  :biggrin:

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #341 on: April 22, 2022, 04:13:06 PM »
The thing that affects photos the most is light. Try a natural light, take her outside if you have to.

I know what you mean though. I've had several customs where the photos didn't turn out great, or dulled the sparkle and details or whatever. I think that even if the photos aren't good enough, you should still post your custom :)

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed

Offline mossybranch_g4

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Bratz Pony
    • View Profile
thanks!
« Reply #342 on: April 23, 2022, 02:18:17 PM »
wowowow all of you are so nice thank you !!!!!!! :cry: :cry: :cry: :inlove: :inlove: :inlove:

Offline Colorscapesart

• "BE COOL!"
  • Trade Count: (+204)
  • Fakie!
    • View Profile
    • Custom Ponies
« Reply #343 on: April 29, 2022, 08:03:17 AM »
Kimberly Johns

Do these seem reasonable?  I love to create but I do not love sitting on my creations.  It seems to fuel me to see them adopted.  I'm a little nervous to be taking a few commissions maybe but I think it will be ok.  I just do not want to let anyone down.

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #344 on: April 29, 2022, 08:19:14 AM »
I think those are totally reasonable and I think people will be more than willing to pay those prices. And you can always raise them when you've gotten into a groove.

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal