collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Not feeling the love for our G4 collection anymore  (Read 1347 times)

Offline KarentheUnicorn

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://karentheunicorn.tripod/legosnape.html
Re: Not feeling the love for our G4 collection anymore
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2014, 10:04:40 AM »
I think it's mostly because it's the same thing over and over. I'm pretty sure if we had a bigger variety, like what we had with G1 - it probably wouldn't get so boring so easy.

Plus the fact of G4's toys being in almost exactly the same pose - with G1 and G3 we did have a good variety of poses for each 'set' - so that helped keep it interesting.

Probably doesn't own a stolen piece of the Taj Mahal.

Offline MikeysGrrrl

• Penguin Snuggle Pony
  • Trade Count: (+95)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Whatever you become, be an amazing one!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2014, 12:32:39 PM »
I really thought that I would be sad or disappointed with my decision but I'm not at all. I don't feel any attachment to them at all, which I think is a little sad coming from the collector standpoint.

I had been eagerly awaiting the release of FS Ribbon Fluttershy and the rest of the Rainbow line and when I saw them in person I just thought they looked ugly :huh: My heart just dropped and I just walked away from them. My hubby had Fluttershy in his hands and he was going to grab her and I just turned and I just shook my head.

It's funny because once we got home and I brought up the subject I discovered that he had zero interest in all the G4 stuff, he actually prefers the G1's :shocked: He love's hunting for them with me and watching me get all excited when we find some or they arrive in the mail and I spa them up, do their hair and put them in the ponyroom.

I feel like parting with some of the collection is a good idea for us. It's not to say that we won't buy anymore G4, but it's definitely not a "Gotta catch em all" feeling at all. If I see one that grabs my attention, then I'll pick it up. I just bought the Trixie EQD last week, I was so excited to find her and she's not part of the main 6 that repeatedly get released which is a welcome change.

I'm looking forward to having the money to expand our G1 collection plus pick up all sorts of cute things for the BJD's :biggrin:

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

LuckyTwirlerina

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2014, 02:29:49 PM »
I came to the same conclusion about G4s the other day, too. I just don't feel anything for them anymore. I just don't feel the same thing as when I get a new G3 or G1 and it's honestly making pony collecting more sad than positive and happy for me.

I decided it was time to crack down and finish off my G4 collection and move on, so after Nightmare Moon and MAYBE Chrysalis because I've always wanted black ponies, and probably an Applejack because I'd feel bad not buying one after I've been playing "hide the Applejacks until they go on clearance" with someone at WalMart- I'm just finished. My total collection at that point will be 6 G4s. Even my FiM-fan boyfriend admits that besides the blind bags, G4 is incredibly boring and actually prefers old pony hunting with me at thrift stores, even though he's not even a fan of the G1 aesthetic.

I'm just gonna hide out on the arena after those and work my way back through previous generations. G3s first, before they go up in price, then keep going back.

Hopefully by the time I finish my wishlists of G1-3, generation 5 will be out. Or at least, that's what I'm desperately hoping for...

Offline June

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2014, 02:47:45 PM »
I still have a couple of G4 non-mane6 ponies that I want, but I'm not interested in most part of the line. Recently I've bought Class of Cutie Marks because I wanted to collect Apple Family, but after 2-3 days I've put them back in their package and now they are in my wardrobe :/ I just don't enjoy non-brushable ponies and it looks like that this generation is leaning more towards that :S

Offline Roogna

• Trade Count: (+594)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://roogna.deviantart.com
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2014, 02:52:12 PM »
I only buy brushables, so I'm frustrated sad that some really awesome ponies are only being released as bbs :(
that means I haven't bought a "new" pony from a store in months...I think the last was sunset shimmer with mask
I'm falling out of love with even checking the mlp toy aisle b/c I know there are no new brushables
but it allows me to spend $ on G1s

DeviantArt Etsy

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2014, 03:40:50 PM »
I am holding out for Toy Fair; what that shows we are getting for the next year could be the decider for me. I am still enough in love with them and the fact I can buy them in stores to keep holding on for the moment...but I will admit my grip on the generation is a tenuous one right now.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline snwbear24

• Trade Count: (+40)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2014, 04:11:34 PM »
I completely understand I feel the same way but I would like to at least finish up the old sets that I have been after. :) I have been to the stores and the rainbow collection is just not as fun. I really wish they would stop just releasing the same over and over again it's getting really boring. :( But, I will be willing to buy some from you!! :)
Looking For these to complete my G4's!!  :biggrin:
Royal Gem Carriage w/ Star Swirl

Looking For these G1's to complete US collection!!
Bushwoolies- Cheery, Hugster, and Chumster

Offline Shenanigans

• Trade Count: (+73)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2014, 04:28:25 PM »
You could always customize your duplicates! That may bring back the love :)
My Wish List

Offline EmBee

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2014, 04:39:49 PM »
I had the same revelation yesterday.  I realized I was about to spend $10 on a single pony that I didn't even like, just to complete a set.  "Wait, how many sets of the main six do I have now?"  Dismayed, I put it down and walked out of the store.  I work hard for my money and I'm no longer going to waste it on G4 ponies I already have 6+ of that are almost identical.

A few weeks ago I decided to not collect more than a single version of each character in the Fashion Style size because of how expensive they are.  Then I was considering whether or not to collect all the new "taller brushables".  I'm glad Hasbro released this ugly Rainbow line to make me realize how pointless these repeats are to both my collection and my wallet.  I still love the G4, but from now on I will only collect the UNIQUE brushables and special ponies (glimmer wing, glow-in-the-dark, etc.)...

:hug: for the fellow unenthused collectors.

-Em

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2014, 05:30:55 PM »
I hear ya-  I was just looking at my unintentional "armies" of Fluttershy, Rainbow Dash, Pinkie... and lamenting the utter lack of variety-  and how cheap some of the lines look (especially the brushable ponies with their twig of a tail and identical poses).  Just so disappointing.   

I'm still planning to keep/continue to collect one of each of the FS ponies, the Funkos, and any prototypes or unusual ponies, but the rest I've given away (visiting children are pretty lucky at our house) or tossed in the custom bait pile.

DancingPhoenix

« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2014, 07:56:20 PM »
I've been thinking about the same thing recently.
I'll only buy new ponies if they're new, or a variation on Pinkie Pie because I have a Pinkie army. Even then I won't buy it if I don't like it.

Blind bags especially though. I tried to get them all for the first 6ish waves but it's just meh now. I'm going to see if I can trade some of the ones I do have (and no longer want) for ones I like and just collect ones I enjoy instead of all of them. Any duplicates I get of playful ponies OR blind bags will simply be customized.

Lightning Twirl

« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2014, 12:08:23 AM »
Awww! =( sorry to hear that! To be honest I feel similar torwards the new rainbow power toys, I feel like theres just too much mane 6! x'D I wish there were more background characters coming out besides DJ and Trixie dolls! Thank goodness for funkos and blind bags/minis to change things up a bit! I with there were more poses fpr G4s as well like G1.If you decide to sell your G4 random merch, you have some canadians stuff I like! I will be stalking your sales page if you are making one in the future! The toy fair is coming up, maybe something totally cool G4 will be revealed!?

If  it makes you feel better I told my husband the same thing with the new pokemon stuff! I told him I just cant do the new cards and new toys anymore, although I love a few of the new ones and TOMY figures. I told him I just want to collect pokemon stuff from our childhood, as it has this amazing nostalgic feeling to obtaining a 1998 TOMY pocket monster from japan and the old booster packs! Im focusing on the first gen of pokemon toys only now. Alot of people on pokemon forums would tell me"you arnt a true pokemon fan" since I dislike the new stuff but with precious childhood hobbies that continue onto todays generation....it can feels like the phrase 'dragging a dead horse around' to me with pokemon-but thats just me. :(
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 12:24:51 AM by Lightning Twirl »

Tirac

« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2014, 12:24:02 AM »
I'm hoping for particular ponies to be released like Sombra.
Nothing from G4 is catching my eyes hardly. My latest purchases were a couple crystal motions and glitter Wysteria.

Offline MorningGlorysParadise82

• Trade Count: (+32)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2014, 12:51:27 AM »
You are definitely not alone. I collect a little of all the Gens with primary focus on G1. I had probably about 100 G3's and that all started because family Dollar started carrying exclusives. So I collected those and then the Neighborhood Market Wal-marts would get the regular G3's, plus ebay buys.
i dropped out of collecting for a few years and i lost track about the time of the G3 Core 7 release. Kinda like now, it was the same ones over and over so that helped curb my appetite. 

Since the urge to spend was gone I was able to reevaluate my collection. That and being forced to move REALLY quickly I was forced to downsize my G3's. I kept all my exclusives and a few others, but alot I didn't pack. I had to donate them. 
Anyway, with what I have left I am still happy with but I also feel I like some don't hold the same magic anymore.
I am even thinking of selling some of my G1's, but I'm still too wishy-washy on those, lol.

My daughter really started getting interested in the G4/FiM's and EG's and so I started buying her some. Only, she sees every new Pinkie Pie gimmick as a must have, while I am dissapointed in the lack of diversity, It's like "Core 7" all over again. So I won't buy her the same pony twice just because it has a mask instead of a hat.

On the bright side, having the same things all time saves me money and if I do sell any of my collection I can use the money for my G1's. so I think it's all just part of being a collector. ;)
Live as though the world is as it should be, to show what it can be.
Want List/My Ponydex/Ref.sheet

Offline SeashellnBubbles

• Trade Count: (+170)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Tears are the last refuge of the damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2014, 10:22:49 AM »
I've pretty much given up on G4 all together, Mikey's. I can't STAND the repetition, and i don't derive any joy at all looking at my wall of MIB brushables...though i do have the Blossomforth and the other origional and different ponies released early on. Honeybuzz is still cute. The Fashion Styles i don't think will be going anywhere, but who knows? I'm getting the newest FS "fakies", the Discord Ponies who are missing wings and horns...it's sad when the rejects and the fakies are more interesting to me than the genuine article :(
On the other hand, like you, my sales of the G4 ponies will fund my G1 collecting! I'm super stoked about getting all the Macau ponies (my big challenge for the year) and they aren't particularly cheap, so all the help i can get, right?
I don't tregret having got into G4 in the first place, since it was fun while it lasted, but it's only been a year and I'm sick of it. Pretty sad, Hasbro, and there's noone to blame but the company.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal