collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Design-a-pony cleaning?  (Read 6068 times)

Offline Tiffoes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
Design-a-pony cleaning?
« on: March 31, 2013, 06:44:01 AM »
My little sister recently got a design a pony Fluttershy for her birthday. We thought the pen was removeable but we can't seem to get it off. Does anyone have an idea of what we could do? Because right now.. She's stuck with this:

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline ApertureScience

• Forever Ouchy Roids
  • Trade Count: (+40)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Design-a-pony cleaning?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2013, 07:05:52 AM »
Sunfading, maybe?  I don't know of anything else.  Well, aside from the option of painting over it, but I don't know what you plan on doing.

Offline Tiffoes

• Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2013, 07:21:40 AM »
We hardly get sun though, right now it's snowing..
Painting over it was an idea that popped into my head too but I don't know if my sis would like that, considering she's four years old and probably would like to draw on it over and over again.

Thanks for your fast reply!

Lightning Twirl

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2013, 07:54:28 AM »
I have them too! =) I actually had to strip off the black paint on off both of them before I worked on these. I collect mlp toys, but I really wanted to paint these! So I had to use various substances in order to remove the paint from it.  Its a shame the markers are a pain to remove and, one would think Hasbro would have thought this through more... -_-

Unfortunately, there is no marker cleaning process without some sort of chemical remover-I tried so myself right after I bought the toys before prepping them. The markers it comes with do not come off the toy itself, they are permanent-says so on the box! I have heard even regular marker is hard to remove off of it.  It was fairly easy to remove the paint, however, marker is another story as it not quite the same as paint. Paints on toys can be easy to remove as they seem to just penetrate the top surface of plastic, however the marker seems to actually 'stain' the plastic- especially the hair and wings. You may try clear acetone-free nail polish remover and a Q-tip to remove the marker, however, it may not be very effective, and if any gets on the "black outlines" it will smear the outline completely, and it doesnt totally come without anything stronger. The best thing I have used for removing markers,  latex or gloss acrylic paint, and even tar off of plastic objects is a product called "Goof-Off' which is cheap, but requires gloves and a well-ventilated room. It isnt very safe IMO to use over and over again for a plastic toy, it may even eat away at the plastic.

I would suggest try using the clear acetone-free nail polish remover a few times, then washing the pony in cold water and soap for safe coloring. If this does not work, what you can do is maybe paint over the ponys hair with pink acrylic gloss paint then coat it with a gloss finish. =) She is four, maybe if she wants to color her over and over again give her some washable paint (non acrylic paint!) and let her paint Fluttershys hair over and over any color she wants!

here's a picture of mine, just for fun =) They can turn out to be masterpieces!

« Last Edit: March 31, 2013, 08:11:00 AM by Lightning Twirl »

Offline Tiffoes

• Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2013, 08:07:23 AM »
Thank you so much for your detailed reply! I'll most deinitely try that and the washable paint is a GENIUS idea!

Your ponies look lovely. I might have to do that for myself too, whenever I get my hands on one.

Lightning Twirl

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2013, 08:16:19 AM »
Thank you! ^-^ Happy to help!  The washable paint thing might be the best way to go, I know how kids LOVE to color stuff over and over again!

I got my Deco ponies from Target for about $12.80 each, but they were on some kind of sale, I dont know if its still going on if you wanted to get some Deco ponies. I saw them at a few Walmarts by the Easter section, think they were $14.50 if you want to go pick some up! There is a Princess Luna one coming out this Fall, OMG she looks gorgeous but kinda looks like a Cadance mold, however she would make an amazing painted custom!

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2013, 09:26:23 AM »
Have you tried a magic eraser on the paint? That may manage to lighten or even remove it subject to how deep the ink has gone into the plastic.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Online lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2013, 12:36:21 PM »
How nice, they seem to have been marketed as products you can decorate over and over again but they are actually one-time?  Blehhhhhh that's not fun.  :( 
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline kayveryn

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2013, 01:22:39 PM »
I had great success with straight acetone on one of the littlest petshop color pets, but it does also remove the surrounding design. think it's strange they're not reusable...

kayveryn

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2013, 01:33:12 PM »
The texture of the white parts makes removal a little challenging on the wings and mane and tail-

but 100% acetone should help you out-  it is really cheap at the hardware store (cheaper and stronger than nailpolish remover) - just don't spill it!

Offline TornadoTwist

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Author of MLP Merch
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2013, 02:36:50 PM »
Nail remover with acetone really helps. I suggest the one from Etos, (Orange bottle for 1 euro) ;)

popyduggan

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2013, 07:52:43 AM »
How nice, they seem to have been marketed as products you can decorate over and over again but they are actually one-time?  Blehhhhhh that's not fun.  :(
I found that out after being sloppy with acrylics, now they're stained for life...if they weren't inanimate objects.

Offline Tiffoes

• Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2013, 07:59:44 AM »
Thanks everyone!

Nail remover with acetone really helps. I suggest the one from Etos, (Orange bottle for 1 euro) ;)

I'll be sure to do that, thanks for being so specific!

Offline Rainbowjuice

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • /)*brohoof*(\
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2013, 08:01:22 AM »
Please use pure acetone.
Nail polish remover damages the plastic underneath thanks to the other chemicals in it.
Wanted: G1 Minty & G1 Bowtie

Huge thanks to Ivy for my sig ♥♥

Lightning Twirl

« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2013, 10:51:41 AM »
^ I have a question! I was taught in art class not to use acetone nail polish remover on plastic because it might eat away at the material, depending on the plastic  thats why I mentioned the acetone free one. I actually havnt tried it myself, but is it safe on the toy to use it repetitively on plastic any time she wants to re-color her pony with the markers? I understand acetone nail polish remover comes in plastic bottles... I would just hate for her niece's new toy to  get ruined.

Maybe Tiffoes could use acetone one time to remove the marker ink and then use washable paint so she doesnt have to keep removing the ink, just rinse off Fluttershy in the sink! =)
« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 10:56:14 AM by Lightning Twirl »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal