collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: filing a claim vs the post office?  (Read 587 times)

Offline Eternia

• Trade Count: (+92)
  • MOC Mimic
  • The girliest
    • View Profile
    • Oat Couture
filing a claim vs the post office?
« on: May 14, 2014, 08:52:44 PM »
today was supposed to be happy. I bought myself a paradise estate with my tax refund, and it arrived today. The postal worker dumped it in the rain by the garage. The box was soaked through and through when I got home, and it fell apart as soon as I moved it inside the garage. Everything was wet, and stickers have been damaged.
Thankfully, my amazing seller sent it with tracking and insurance.
But let's be honest here, how easy is it to deal with the po? When i called them they told me to bring everything in to the office to determine if I was eligible for my insurance claim....so I chucked every wet soggy piece into my car, including the box, and raced to get there before close....I dragged the soggy remains of the box inside and oh, the supervisor tells me, why did I do that? Just file online.....grrrrr
How it was sent to me....
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

How I got it...

Never had to deal with this sort of thing, any advice and feedback appreciated! Ps...do you know what happens to packing pnuts when they get wet? They get squishy and sticky and grooossss
« Last Edit: May 14, 2014, 08:55:01 PM by Eternia »
My Wantlist! Connect with me! Facebook Tumblr Flickr Instagram=oatcouturepony & charmingplastics
No girly swap this year!

Offline rosietrot

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Power Puff Pony
  • Made it.
    • View Profile
    • RosieTrot's Pony Spot
Re: filing a claim vs the post office?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2014, 10:45:18 PM »
I'm so sorry that happened to you!  It would feel better if we felt that those representing an entity that did us wrong would display more empathy :(

I think that considering how bad it ended up, the insurance was a lifesaver!  The pictures you have are perfect evidence and if I were you I would feel safe knowing that all my ducks were in a row.

It's such a sad thing seeing something you were looking forward to ruined like that but I think the insurance will at least make it so you're not out any money, only heartache.

Good luck and my sympathies.
Trades!<---some trades, sales and want list, as posted on the arena
Store!<---The "Official" Store (or as official as it gets...also all tradable!)
Want List!<---Stuff I'm looking for
ME! <--- and if you want to know who I am, a picture from my blog

Offline Ringlets

• Mrs. Chief
  • Trade Count: (+182)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Be yourself, dare to dream!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2014, 04:39:51 AM »
 :whoa: How awful and disapponting!     * :throw:  @ Postie*  :(
photographic evidence is good :bigups:. ok ... yes you can do it online or by getting a form from your PO and sending off the evidence (presumably photographic evidence)/claim by mail... but in all honesty I'm not sure exactly how it works in the US (I'm in the UK and Royal Mail works differently to USPS in some areas...)  :blush:  i can see what i can find out. In the meantime I believe Ponylady might know , or KCherry (cherry has had a ton of issues with the PO in the past). I'm glad you had insurance  :hug:

:heart: Wanted:heart:
:glitter: :heart: :glitter: CHIEF LOVES RINGLETS FOREVER :glitter: :heart: :glitter:

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2014, 08:40:33 AM »
Yeah- you definitely need photos-  I don't remember if it is you or the recipient who needs to file the claim though?

Offline bluerose9978

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+450)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/oh5/bluerose9978/MLP
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2014, 09:28:59 AM »
Yeah- you definitely need photos-  I don't remember if it is you or the recipient who needs to file the claim though?

I think it is the sender who has to file the claim.

Offline Eternia

• MOC Mimic
  • The girliest
    • View Profile
    • Oat Couture
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2014, 11:01:59 AM »
My seller asked her PO and was told I should do it.
My Wantlist! Connect with me! Facebook Tumblr Flickr Instagram=oatcouturepony & charmingplastics
No girly swap this year!

Offline ponylady

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2014, 12:57:38 PM »
I know the question has arose before on who actually files the claim. Actually the buyer or seller can through the USPS, it is UPS that the seller must. So your on the right track Eternia.  :hug:

I would have your seller email you a copy of the original mailing receipt: The receipt that was stamped at the post-office counter when the item was mailed. It will have all the information on it that the PO needs. Then take that and your soggy box and broken Paradise to them and demand your money.  :lol:....that sounded dramatic didn't it? The PO needs to be accountable for there stupid actions on this one.

I personally feel that they should be able to file the claim at the PO. This file online crap is ridiculous. If they refuse, I would ask for a supervisor. There are folks out there who obviously don't have access to a computer so not being able to file within the PO itself is bull.
:glitter:visitors can't see pics , please register or login
:glitter:

Thanks LordBlumiere  :heart: for my Baby Believe!
I love Ohio Meat Pie

Offline Baby_Honeycomb

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Captain Jack Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2014, 02:55:21 PM »
I live in Germany but I had a problem with UPS too. I bought Sprinkles plus the Rub a dub tub and the UPS guy just left it on the doorsteps and it was stolen!
In this case the seller had to file the complaint because I simply had nothing in hand. She gave them my number, I explained to them what happened and got a full refund from the seller and she got her money back from UPS. I talked to the guy in person later and he was really sorry but his thoughtlessness was just beyond limits. He said he'd have to pay for this mess himself - he'll never ever leave a package on a doorstep again, that's for sure.
Although I got my money back I'm still very sad that someone who must have been from the neighbourhood (since we live on a very busy main road and nobody stops except those who live here, nobody walks just by and that is the only possibility someone could have seen it) stole my poor Sprinkles.

Good luck with your complaint, I hope you get at least some money back!

Send via Tapatalk on my Galaxy - blame autocorrect for every mistake ;)

:biggrin:  There is always space for more ponies  :biggrin:
My wantlist http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,358238.0.html

Offline Eternia

• MOC Mimic
  • The girliest
    • View Profile
    • Oat Couture
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2014, 03:10:00 PM »
I agree the online crap is not right. I dragged the wt box in and showed it to the supervisor, it had the label on it. Which he collected and took a photo of. And told me to file online. I just completed the claim. Now I will continue to bug them.
I was told that if they give you a full refund they demand the item back? Is that so?
No girly swap this year!

Offline CrazyCatLady

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+148)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2014, 03:46:00 PM »
A few months ago I sold some candlesticks on eBay. Despite several layers of bubble wrap and packing peanuts, they arrived broken in half. I filed a claim online and received a full refund by check for the items and postage within a week or two. Then I refunded the buyer through PayPal.
I've lost track of how many items the PO has damaged. Thankfully the process of filing an insurance claim is pretty painless.

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2014, 05:47:02 PM »
I agree the online crap is not right. I dragged the wt box in and showed it to the supervisor, it had the label on it. Which he collected and took a photo of. And told me to file online. I just completed the claim. Now I will continue to bug them.
I was told that if they give you a full refund they demand the item back? Is that so?

Yep!  They sure do!  If they pay your money, they just bought it from you.  :)  Same as auto insurance - they pay you out, they keep the vehicle. 
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline alkevin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2014, 05:52:03 PM »
The mailman yesterday just shoved my final fantasy trading figure in the mailbox. I know she is not that big, I donĀ“t know how he do it.

Offline brighteyes

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • ~Insert Coin, Get Pony~
    • View Profile
    • Brighteye's Notebook
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2014, 06:05:29 PM »
Eternia that's terrible!  Whenever we've had anything USPS delivered in the rain, the delivery person has always put it in a waterproof sealed bag, even large boxes like that.  What were they thinking?  I'm wishing you the best of luck in dealing with them.
Many thanks to LordBlumiere for my wonderful avatar  :lovey: Blog  Adoptable Refs

Offline CrazyCatLady

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+148)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2014, 06:33:21 PM »
Wanted to add that neither I or the buyer have ever had to give the damaged merchandise to the PO. Once I had to give them photos, but that's all.

Offline Eternia

• MOC Mimic
  • The girliest
    • View Profile
    • Oat Couture
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2014, 07:35:54 PM »

Yep!  They sure do!  If they pay your money, they just bought it from you.  :)  Same as auto insurance - they pay you out, they keep the vehicle. 
it works like auto insurance?....so they will have a claims adjuster to look at my item and see determine how bad the damage is and if it is more than the item, I sell it to them. They do partial refunds too right? I dont want to give up my estate,  I want to be compensated for the damage done and the idiocy of the mail carrier :/
No girly swap this year!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal