collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Considering doing my first commission  (Read 846 times)

Offline PonySeeker128

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
    • Customs
Considering doing my first commission
« on: April 15, 2012, 06:59:44 PM »
So, as the post says, I am considering "opening" to do my first commission (that is if I find anyone interested). What kinds of things should I know before taking any of this on? Where should I begin? What was your first commission like? I know these are pretty general questions but I'm pretty much just looking for whatever info and tips you guys have! If you'd like you can PM me any of this info as well  :) thanks in advance!
Deviant Art~Commissions Are CLOSED~
Wishlist (MH)

Offline MacabreDarling

• Trade Count: (+119)
    • View Profile
    • http://macabredarling.deviantart.com/
Re: Considering doing my first commission
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2012, 07:07:31 PM »
Well, first of all I'd like to say, that with very rare occasion, will you ever be paid fairly for your time and effort. The main thing I think a lot of customizers who are just starting focus on is making sure they get their costs covered and then try to make a profit after that. Different people price different ways.  I would say $25-35 is a good average for paint and rehairs, especially ones as elaborate as yours, though honestly I'd probably pay more if I had the money. I usually charge an extra fee if sculpting is required. Of course, the secret is...Don't undersell yourself. If you feel it's worth more, price it how you feel it should be. In a few weeks if there aren't any takers, or you haven't sold something, you can always reduce the price. I do that on ebay a lot. I'll price a doll for $80-90, and if it doesn't sell I'll reduce it to $60-70. Usually they sell at that point if they don't at the normal price. So just make sure whatever you decide that you choose a price you are really comfortable with. Also? For the purpose of sale customs, picking subject matter that is popular culture is a safe way to go for sale purposes. :D Random points shoved together there, but anyhow! That's my two cents. ;p

Post Merge: April 15, 2012, 07:09:27 PM

Oh...and btw..My first commissions actually came from a girl on ebay that had seen some of my other ponies sell. She had two designs, very specific, and she was thrilled, and so was I. I'd definitely recommend starting a facebook, and make sure you have your facebook, deviantart, etc etc, all showing links to each other to help you get more exposure. you can come up with commissions in the strangest places! Also? Ask tons of questions to be sure you get every little detail right and don't risk having some unhappy person who thought their idea was misinterpreted. Always better to ask too many questions than not enough :D
« Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 07:09:27 PM by MacabreDarling »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 Thank you tinrobo!

Offline PonySeeker128

• View Profile
    • Customs
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2012, 07:15:45 PM »
Thanks for the info! How do you work out pay? Do you have the customer pay before, pay half to begin with and the other half at the end, offer payments??
Wishlist (MH)

KiwiSquirtBottle

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2012, 07:52:50 PM »
Pay is something you should work out with your commissioner. My first commission is a bit weird as I got paid in ponies, and needed one of the ponies she was sending to do part of the commission... So I got "paid" ahead of time. I would usually suggest half up front for now. Or at least enough to cover the cost of a bait and hair bare minimum. There've been times buyers flake out and don't follow through, and it's horrid to see your hard work for someone's very specific personal custom fall through and not be able to resell it. Work out what you're comfortable with and go from there. Do not ever send someone their pony without having gotten full payment however.

Offline NoDivision

• I am vengeance, I am the night!
  • Trade Count: (+67)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • No Division Customs
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2012, 12:56:58 PM »
I always ask for payment up front. If it's a more expensive commission I can do part up front and aprt later, but I never ever ever start worknig until I have money in my hand. Too many people in this community have been burned by agreeing to make a pony and then never getting paid for it.

Offline PonySeeker128

• View Profile
    • Customs
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2012, 01:12:47 PM »
Good to know, thanks for the information. Maybe once I get a couple things done that I am working on now I will see if there's interest for a commission :)
Wishlist (MH)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal