collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Anyone display dolls in acrylic boxes?  (Read 474 times)

Offline toyjunky

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
Anyone display dolls in acrylic boxes?
« on: September 25, 2013, 03:46:17 PM »
A thread in the pony coral made me curious because it was something I thought about this summer. I have never displayed any dolls in the plastic (acrylic) display boxes before this summer. I bought them for my childhood dolls, and some of them do have the leg spots that Barbies sometimes get. I live in California, and it can get very warm (90-100F) in summer. It made me wonder if being in the plastic display boxes with no air flow could effect the dolls in a negative way.

So how many people use them to display their dolls and any thoughts in regards to long term use?

Offline MiRaja

• Trade Count: (+38)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://lilmissroadrage.livejournal.com
Re: Anyone display dolls in acrylic boxes?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2013, 05:47:52 PM »
Any collectibles should be stored or kept in a temperature controlled environment.  50F-78F is the general safe zone for most items.  Putting your things in cases is not the biggest of your issues if their actual display space is in excess of 80F, and worse yet 90F-100F.  I've worked with more than a few collectibles, including antique dolls, and early plastic dolls, and temperature is one of the biggest enemies to any collectible and will accelerate degradation of plastic.  You have to worry about heat, light and moisture. 

I store my collectibles out of light, in a temperature and humidity controlled environment.  My antique Japanese dolls reside in glass cases.  Plastic cases can leech out and degrade themselves, which can cause harm to collectibles.  Glass or acrylic are preferable.  Also avoid lots of varishing, proper lacquer is okay, like what is on my Japanese dolls cases, but varnish, especially with a humid environment, can leech out and yellow plastics, even when not in direct contact. 

Offline Radiance

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+35)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2013, 09:35:44 AM »
Good info, MiRaja! I keep my dolls that are not on display in sturdy cardboard boxes. They are all in the closet of my doll & pony room and they stay cool. I think the use for doll display boxes are really to keep dust away, and keep people from touching. I don't think they protect from UV rays, but I could be wrong.
http://mlparena.com/index.php?topic=366243.new#new

my want list, looking for unicorns!

Offline brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2013, 09:44:30 AM »
I keep a few ponies in acrylic boxes but they're still out of the sun and kept cool.    I do this to keep dust off, discourage random handling and mostly because I think they look nice in there.

This summer the AC broke down and the whole house was uncomfortably hot for a week.  It definitely wasn't good for toys and I was so worried about them.  My priorities may be out of whack.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
Sig art by SquarePeg!

Offline FairyDust

• Professor Snape Pony
  • Trade Count: (+47)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2013, 10:40:35 AM »
I don't worry about them with my dolls.  The Barbie's that get the spots on their legs are usually the ones from about 1985-1990 (around that time period).  Even some late 70's to late 80's Barbie's can get sticky legs.  The spots and stickiness I think are caused by the pastic itself though I do think other factors can make them show the symptoms faster.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Collector of Jem and the Holograms, MLP, Kitty Kitty Kittens, and of course Totsy ponies.

Offline Roseprincess1

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2013, 01:53:19 PM »
i have the bob mackie jewel barbies in acrylic cases.. they have done well over the years and maintained beautifully.. m ost of my dolls are either out on display or in my doll cabinet....
but these three were speical edition so i got them.
they have worked well

Offline butterflybuttons

• Trade Count: (+82)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Feeling the G2 love
    • View Profile
    • My outdated DA
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2013, 08:52:53 PM »

This summer the AC broke down and the whole house was uncomfortably hot for a week.  It definitely wasn't good for toys and I was so worried about them.  My priorities may be out of whack.

Spoken like a true collector :silly:  I think the toys are my first thoughts when it gets hot too.

Offline MiRaja

• Trade Count: (+38)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://lilmissroadrage.livejournal.com
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2013, 08:17:53 PM »

Spoken like a true collector :silly:  I think the toys are my first thoughts when it gets hot too.
First cats.  THEN collection.  Lol.  My Momo is my most precious.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal