collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Please delete post  (Read 1213 times)

Offline AnotherTonic

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Bratz Pony
    • View Profile
Please delete post
« on: September 22, 2022, 07:53:47 AM »
« Last Edit: September 22, 2022, 05:03:31 PM by AnotherTonic »

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
Re: Avatar etiquette
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2022, 01:29:49 PM »
Hi! I recognize that artist, actually. :) AssassinMonkey on Deviantart.

Etiquette can be fairly tricky sometimes! For forum avatars, I would simply note in my signature or bio the name of the artist who made the art. I know I see some folks on Twitter who don't want to see their art used as avatars, but this is usually stated as such. I would imagine a fairly prolific FiM fandom artist like AM would have said something to forbid avatar usage by now. Asking permission is a nice thing, if you are able to, I do tend to ask if it's a smaller artist on Tumblr/Twitter, but it also works as advertisements, so many people are okay with it.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline Lady Frostbite

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • Absolutely Abbeylicious!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2022, 01:50:44 PM »
This is a topic that is subject to intense and oftentimes personal debate. Because I've been exposed to the hellfire of such debates, my personal policy is to credit the artist if I can (for example, in my signature I credit Starscout for my avatar) if it is a piece of fanart. For a mass-produced piece of art - say for example you took a screenshot of the original cartoon of a character and cropped it to show her - I wouldn't credit as it's mass produced.

As for 'permission', I sought permission on my tumblr for the buttons I made, because I was taking artwork and adding something to it (in this case, text). I gained permission for some whilst others never got back to me, and I highly doubt some corporate places will ever respond but I've placed the credit there in my Credits section anyway.

It never hurts to ask! It never hurts to credit! Some artists will say explicitly no reposting without permission, often with commissions, so you can always double-check of not sure but most are okay with it as long as you a) do not claim the work as your own, b) do not alter it significantly like recolouring or editing and c) do not sell the image for profit.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Signature image artwork done by the talented Starscout!
MLP Gameloft game friend code : 29c831

Offline AnotherTonic

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Bratz Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2022, 04:35:04 PM »
« Last Edit: September 22, 2022, 04:53:29 PM by AnotherTonic »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal