collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Poll

Are you afraid of shots or blood tests?

Yes
19 (31.1%)
No
33 (54.1%)
Yes, but only shots
1 (1.6%)
Yes, but only blood draws
8 (13.1%)

Total Members Voted: 50

Voting closed: December 05, 2013, 12:45:20 AM

Author Topic: Needles/injections- Afraid or no?(tw: blood, needles, and medical discussions)  (Read 3235 times)

Offline Strawberry Swirl

• Trade Count: (+40)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • #1 Rainbow Dash Kinnie
    • View Profile
So, I'm the biggest baby in the entire galaxy and I need some serious comfort before my check-up today. How many of you guys are afraid of needles? If so, how do you cope?

I know this is a common fear and I know that in the end, it's for my own good and not that big of a deal. Still the pain that comes with it is enough to stress me out.
I always try to stay distracted during these types of things. Talking helps a lot.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
WishlistChecklistSalesPonysonaCommissions

Offline MikeysGrrrl

• Penguin Snuggle Pony
  • Trade Count: (+95)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Whatever you become, be an amazing one!
    • View Profile
Well, I'm not afraid of needles so I don't have advice in that sense, what I can say is that it's a tiny little pinch and it's over before you know it. If you're scared of needles it's probably best if you try to look away and think about things that make you happy, or perhaps focus on a poster or picture in the doctors office.

Personally I prefer getting blood drawn as opposed to getting a shot, but that's just me :)

Offline Eviecorn

• Chancellor Pudding Hat
  • Trade Count: (+38)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
  • Mister, would you please help my pony?
    • View Profile
    • Do-San-Ko Customs on Facebook
Needles don't bother me in the slightest, but then again I'm heavily tattooed.  XD 

I don't like immunizations because of the soreness afterwards, though.  My arm hurts for a good two days after my flu shot.

:glitter: :taco:  Throw caution to the wind and fart on it. :taco: :glitter:
Art commissions!

Offline NoDivision

• I am vengeance, I am the night!
  • Trade Count: (+67)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • No Division Customs
I don't really fear needles much - I'm not scared to go in and get shots or anything - but I do get a little anxious right when the time comes. I think that's pretty natural. Different needles and injections feel different, so my biggest anxiety is just not knowing what to expect. Some you barely feel and others do sting a bit. I just find something else in the room and stare at it until it's over!

Offline Strawberry Swirl

• #1 Rainbow Dash Kinnie
    • View Profile
Well, I'm not afraid of needles so I don't have advice in that sense, what I can say is that it's a tiny little pinch and it's over before you know it. If you're scared of needles it's probably best if you try to look away and think about things that make you happy, or perhaps focus on a poster or picture in the doctors office.

Personally I prefer getting blood drawn as opposed to getting a shot, but that's just me :)

Exactly! Last time this happened to me, the nurse doing the procedure said she liked my Pinkie Pie shirt.
I was so caught up in talking about ponies that I totally forgot I was even in a doctor's office.

Offline Ionn

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
  • Horse Shaped Object Enthusiast
    • View Profile
I have no problem with needles, but my sister finds them unnerving & I try to take that into account when We talk or watch stuff together.

Recently my older cat was diagnosed with diabetes & I found out my younger cat is terrified of needles! He scrunched himself into a corner wearing his 'ow, it burns' face & started making little gaggy sounds when I prepared shots for the other cat, so I make sure he's otherwise occupied at injection time now. Take heart, we're not the only species that gets nervy around pointy objects!

Offline Strawberry Swirl

• #1 Rainbow Dash Kinnie
    • View Profile
I have no problem with needles, but my sister finds them unnerving & I try to take that into account when We talk or watch stuff together.

Recently my older cat was diagnosed with diabetes & I found out my younger cat is terrified of needles! He scrunched himself into a corner wearing his 'ow, it burns' face & started making little gaggy sounds when I prepared shots for the other cat, so I make sure he's otherwise occupied at injection time now. Take heart, we're not the only species that gets nervy around pointy objects!

This makes me feel a lot better too. :>
Cats are the best thing.

Offline True

• Eartha Uncorn
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Unicorn of the earth
    • View Profile
    • Truly Customs
nope lol I was a sickly kid rofl which is funny because being sick so much as a kid i think built up my immunity pretty good because i hardly ever get sick now lol, MAYBE once a year xD.
anyway I was always having blood taken and getting shots, Im sure i was afraid of them at some point but i dont remember it now. Also my moms a lab tech at a blood bank (shes the one that fiddles with the blood ni the back to separate it and make it useful for hospitals) but its meant that as soon as i was old enough iv always donated blood, unless im being anemic or something lol. not to mention piercings and tattoos, yeah it would be silly if i had a fear of those things. :p

To help cope, i dunno for me I always preferred to watch what was going on, but for my son whos not so fond of needles and blood (it makes him physically sick to see a lot of blood) he looks away, or ill hug him or squeeze his other hand a little bit to make him focus on that instead.. of course those are all kid remides lol im not really sure how to help an adult, maybe you could bring a friend or loved one along?
« Last Edit: December 02, 2013, 02:11:54 AM by truevampiress »
:heart: My Sales Thread :heart:
Toola Roola Avatar by Pikashoes!

Offline Strawberry Swirl

• #1 Rainbow Dash Kinnie
    • View Profile
nope lol I was a sickly kid rofl which is funny because being sick so much as a kid i think built up my immunity pretty good because i hardly ever get sick now lol, MAYBE once a year xD.
anyway I was always having blood taken and getting shots, Im sure i was afraid of them at some point but i dont remember it now. Also my moms a lab tech at a blood bank (shes the one that fiddles with the blood ni the back to separate it and make it useful for hospitals) but its meant that as soon as i was old enough iv always donated blood, unless im being anemic or something lol. not to mention piercings and tattoos, yeah it would be silly if i had a fear of those things. :p

To help cope, i dunno for me I always preferred to watch what was going on, but for my son whos not so fond of needles and blood (it makes him physically sick to see a lot of blood) he looks away, or ill hug him or squeeze his other hand a little bit to make him focus on that instead.. of course those are all kid remides lol im not really sure how to help an adult, maybe you could bring a friend or loved one along?

Well, I'm not really an adult yet(funny how you should say I am a day before my 17th birthday ha ha), but distraction goes a long way for everybody I think.
A lot of adults I know don't mind using hand squeezes or those numbing creams.

Offline True

• Eartha Uncorn
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Unicorn of the earth
    • View Profile
    • Truly Customs
my son has also started counting things when hes supposed to get a shot. in the rooms they usually have an eye chart and some fun paintings/pictures on the walls. one is this really neat Disney picture with tons of characters on it, and if he happens to be in that room hell count the characters, if not hell count the images on the eye chart. Its just about distracting yourself really well and not letting the stress build up in the moment. I'm sure youll do fine. ^^
:heart: My Sales Thread :heart:
Toola Roola Avatar by Pikashoes!

Offline elish2

• Trade Count: (+95)
  • As you Wish
    • View Profile
I am a nurse and I actually do not like having my blood drawn. I do not think anyone really likes to have that done. I just look away. As for being a healthcare professional and needles, well that is always different when your drawing blood from actually having it done to you....Looking away usually helps though....
elish22 | eBay
Thanks Kissthethunder for my Avatar!

Offline Eviecorn

• Chancellor Pudding Hat
  • Trade Count: (+38)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
  • Mister, would you please help my pony?
    • View Profile
    • Do-San-Ko Customs on Facebook
Elish, my sister is also a nurse and faints when she has to have her own blood drawn!

:glitter: :taco:  Throw caution to the wind and fart on it. :taco: :glitter:
Art commissions!

Offline melodys_angel

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
I kind of used to be sort of when I was in gradeschool (not afraid but id shake uncontrollably).

I get them soo often now that its just nothing.

TY to the respective artists for my Destiny art :)  YAY MA finally managed to re-upload her stuff!

Offline xeevee

• Trade Count: (+159)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://x-eevee.deviantart.com
I don't like injections, they're painful, but I'm not scared of them.  Blood drawing doesn't bother me at all, unless I get someone who sucks at it, and I end up all bruised from them trying to find a vein.  Otherwise I kind of like watching the blood drawing process.

Offline Skeen

• Not actually Captain Janeway
  • Trade Count: (+79)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
They don't bother me, except when they can't find a vein.  I have tiny veins.  ^^;

Actually, I don't like IV's, for the same reason.  But normal shots and blood draws are fine.  I like to watch.  I'm so focused on what's going on I don't even feel them. 

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal