collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Ever wish you had a different first name?  (Read 3133 times)

Offline Marigold

• Vivaldi's Seasons Pony
  • Trade Count: (+103)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Liver and Onions
    • View Profile
Re: Ever wish you had a different first name?
« Reply #30 on: September 16, 2013, 05:14:09 AM »
I wish my name was either Polish or German like I am. Instead my name is a recognizably "other" heritage name than I haven't an ounce of in my blood.  But I get people asking if I am thanks to my name. Plus it is sort of boyish sounding and I dislike that. I want an obviously girl name and I'd prefer something less common. 

That said, I do like how my name writes. It's pretty looking to me.  I also like its meaning (the one that is not specifically about the other heritage). 
« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 05:18:26 AM by Marigold »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline MikeysGrrrl

• Penguin Snuggle Pony
  • Trade Count: (+95)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Whatever you become, be an amazing one!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 16, 2013, 05:30:40 AM »
Growing up I absolutely despised my name "Pamela", my middle name was even worse (I don't share it with anyone, that's how bad I hate it lol). There were never any other Pam's/Pamela's that I went to school with so I always felt like my name made me stand out amongst the Sarah's, Jennifer's and Karen's (the popular names). I always wanted  to change my name to Julia.

However now that I'm older, settled down and happy, I actually love my name (prefer being called Pamela as opposed to Pam) and I'm happy that there aren't tons of other girls with the same name, at least not where I live lol, plus it sounds fabulous with my married name :)

Offline dashesndots

• Trade Count: (+86)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • My facebook Art page
« Reply #32 on: September 16, 2013, 05:34:16 AM »
Oh yes.  Many, many times.  Ashley was on the top 10 names list for something like 20 years...  -_-  In my very small school there were at least 4-5 other Ashley's most of the time, and it got old very fast (for them too I'm sure!)

I just wish my mom had gone with her other choice (Lindsay...even though there are plenty of Lindsays out there too) or made my middle name (Ryan) my first name.

I've come to accept it (and a lot of people just call me Ash, which is cool) :)

When I was in college I worked in the college library, and my boss was a woman who had changed her name from Tracy to Arabella.  I always thought that was really neat and must have taken a lot of determination, after being known as "x" for so long, to suddenly change to something completely different.  I always wondered if she had to deal with her family calling her her old name, etc.

Offline StoryDreamer

• Go boldly
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Bri
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 16, 2013, 06:15:14 AM »
I hated the name Brianna when I was younger, but I really like it now. I go by Bri though.

I wanted to be named Desiree Lynn or Brileia.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 06:22:25 AM by StoryDreamer »
Hey, want to review media or contribute an article about books, movies, comics, tv or video games from a woman's perspective? Check out my new media blog in the making, What the Fangirl LGBTQ+ friendly

Offline shockponie

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 16, 2013, 06:45:51 AM »
I like my name but there were times when I didn't. It's annoying when people call me "Nyomi" instead of Naomi. I hated when Van Wilder came out in theatres because from that moment on, a few jerks thought it was funny to call me by my name spelled backwards for the rest of high school. I used a few good comebacks, but it still bothered me.
Avatar by Shenanigans; Sig by Shaiyeh

Offline Eviecorn

• Chancellor Pudding Hat
  • Trade Count: (+38)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
  • Mister, would you please help my pony?
    • View Profile
    • Do-San-Ko Customs on Facebook
« Reply #35 on: September 16, 2013, 06:48:38 AM »
I'm in the process of a legal name change myself.

:glitter: :taco:  Throw caution to the wind and fart on it. :taco: :glitter:
Art commissions!

ashlite

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #36 on: September 16, 2013, 06:54:50 AM »
Although growing up my name was always super popular, I still liked it. Being a February baby, my name hadn't become as popular as it is these days, that didn't come until later.

However, my mom chose a different spelling of Ashleigh in order to incorporate her name, Leigh. I've always liked my name for this reason. I also think it looks nice written out. My name is part of who I am and I've always had a close relationship with my mom, so to me that is a lovely connection and worth dealing with the popularity.  ;)

Offline slj84

• Trade Count: (+51)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 16, 2013, 06:57:44 AM »
I like my name, it's short and not too common but not so uncommon people havn't heard of it.  It's just spelled different then "normal" so no one ever spells it right, it's Sherri.  Most people spell is Sherry.  I like my spelling better :p

I had a coworker whose name was Kaynan and her brothers name was Elmo.  She always went by Kay, she hates the name.  She said her brother goes by Mo.

Offline Rosette

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • Pony Mail is Happy Mail :D
    • View Profile
    • My LiveJournal Blog
« Reply #38 on: September 16, 2013, 07:06:01 AM »
My name is Rachel and I've grown fond of it. I was nearly named "Heather" but my family went with a biblical theme instead.  (Rachel's story is pretty awful, though.)

I wished my name was "Kat" for a long time...or Lily.  But now I wouldn't change it...I grew into it.
I'm the Pony formerly known as "songtoisis".   ^.^

Offline Rosencrantz

• Shakespearian Tragedy Pony
  • Trade Count: (+73)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • I like shiny things
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 16, 2013, 07:09:18 AM »
My birthname doesn't describe my personality at all, its too "ghetto"

Yeah, I guess Warsaw's a hard name for a kid.
 (backcard by Ivy!)

Offline Marigold

• Vivaldi's Seasons Pony
  • Trade Count: (+103)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Liver and Onions
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 16, 2013, 07:13:28 AM »
Funny you mention "Kat".  I know three people who wish their names were versions of Kat.

Katlyn (pronounced Kate-lynn) wishes her name was Kat-lynn.  Lucky for her, her mom's choice of spelling lends itself really well to just calling her Kat-lynn.  She goes by Kat to most people and Katelynn to family because they can't get used to the change.

Kathryn might not wish to change her name or how it is pronounced, but she prefers to go by Kat, Kitty, or Kitten.  Lately it is Kitten.

Kristin was almost named Katrin.  Katrin would have suited her so much better and she would have loved the nickname "Kat".  But she is a lot like me in that she is unable to shake her given name for any other.  Kat could be an okay nickname for Kristin, but she won't go by it. 

Offline StoryDreamer

• Go boldly
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Bri
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 16, 2013, 07:20:18 AM »
My birthname doesn't describe my personality at all, its too "ghetto"

Yeah, I guess Warsaw's a hard name for a kid.

:like:
Hey, want to review media or contribute an article about books, movies, comics, tv or video games from a woman's perspective? Check out my new media blog in the making, What the Fangirl LGBTQ+ friendly

Offline archidraca

• Trade Count: (+61)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Boy ponies, gotta catchem all! ^w^
    • View Profile
    • Ponies A'More - ponies, love, & more!
« Reply #42 on: September 16, 2013, 07:36:08 AM »
My mom decided to name me Cicelie. It's said just like Cicely Tyson's name and is pretty but no one outside of my immediate family seems to be able to spell it correctly and all my teachers tended to say it wrong until told how to pronounce it... I always wished that my name was the regular spelling or something plainer. :huh:
Creatively cute and proud of it!  Have a very good day, [you]!  ^.^

I'm making custom cute pony plushies and have set up an Etsy store called Ponies A'More! Ponies + More + LOVE! :heart: :inlove: :heart:
Finally got my SALES thread up and update it as I can.  :satisfied:
Lastly, posting my Wishlist here!  :biggrin:

Offline Majesty

• Metal Gear Solid Pony
  • Trade Count: (+35)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • G1 and G3 Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 16, 2013, 08:08:14 AM »
Only sometimes.  My name is Amanda and it's all too common.  It stinks at my job because there's like four Amanda's.  Even working with another one is a pain when they say Amanda but they're apparently not talking to me.:hmm:

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #44 on: September 16, 2013, 08:13:40 AM »
I did as a kid, but when I started going rather exclusively by a nickname not so much anymore. Actually a couple days ago I was thinking how odd it was that it's been so long since I've heard someone call me my real name and I was wondering if I might be missing it.

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal