collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: My Pretty Pony Customizing/Restoring?  (Read 418 times)

Offline Kazzellin

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
My Pretty Pony Customizing/Restoring?
« on: September 26, 2022, 03:45:42 PM »
Has anyone made a custom using a My Pretty Pony for the base? I have one that I need to repair, and I'm wondering how to take it apart. Not finding any tutorials on the subject, and the Pony Preservation Project doesn't have one listed that I'm finding. :huh:

The one I have is my sister's, and it has 1/3 of the mane pulled out--the fabric seam is ripped out by almost two inches (about 5cm). Also need to restore the eyes, as they have what looks like a milky substance covering part of the iris; given what's on with her moving eye (mechanism still works! Woo), I'm assuming she's got mold inside of her, so I definitely need to pull her apart, regardless of her hair situation.

Not sure if my sister wants me to customize her or not (I assume not).

Any tips for getting one of these apart?

Thanks! :D
My creativity keeps running into a lack of time and resources.  :cry:
I'm also available via twitter at @Kazzellin :)

So many projects!! What do I want to work on? :awake:

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+452)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
    • Etsy ~ Shadow on the Moon
Re: My Pretty Pony Customizing/Restoring?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2022, 05:31:08 PM »
I recently customized a brown MPP who was in need of a full make over, she was cracked in half down her back, part of her mechanism was broken (and another part of it turned up inside her) and her mane and tail was cut and her eyes sticky and gross.

There is a tutorial here: http://www.mlppreservationproject.com/misc#MPP

I would not recommend splitting her, it is difficult to do it without ripping the plastic and she will need parts filling, gluing, sanding and painting over. I only did it as she needed her mechanism fixing, she needed all new hair and she was half broken in half already.

I used q-tips dampened with soapy water to clean the eyes, you can buy q-tips with pointed ends, which is good for getting in gaps.

If the ribbon strip with the hair sewn (her mane) in had been pulled out, you could use a flat head screw driver to carefully push it back in place. Warming her with a hair dryer will help you being able to push it back in.

Love pkw xxx
RedBubble Etsy Instagram Facebook

Get 10% off your order from my Etsy shop with the code MLPARENA10

Offline Kazzellin

• MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2022, 06:19:02 PM »
I recently customized a brown MPP who was in need of a full make over, she was cracked in half down her back, part of her mechanism was broken (and another part of it turned up inside her) and her mane and tail was cut and her eyes sticky and gross.

There is a tutorial here: http://www.mlppreservationproject.com/misc#MPP

I would not recommend splitting her, it is difficult to do it without ripping the plastic and she will need parts filling, gluing, sanding and painting over. I only did it as she needed her mechanism fixing, she needed all new hair and she was half broken in half already.

I used q-tips dampened with soapy water to clean the eyes, you can buy q-tips with pointed ends, which is good for getting in gaps.

If the ribbon strip with the hair sewn (her mane) in had been pulled out, you could use a flat head screw driver to carefully push it back in place. Warming her with a hair dryer will help you being able to push it back in.

Love pkw xxx
Oh, it's under misc! No wonder I didn't find one!

She's already got a ~1/8" split in the seam down her back, so I don't think I need to be concerned about taking her apart. Given the mold on her eyelid, it's probably best she's completely cleaned out. :(

Thank you! I appreciate it!

Will you be posting the custom you made in the customs forum? :D

Edit: Whelp, based on the pictures, her tail has definitely been cut--it's only about 6" long. :(
« Last Edit: September 26, 2022, 06:26:16 PM by Kazzellin »

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+452)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
    • Etsy ~ Shadow on the Moon
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2022, 12:15:09 PM »
There is a lot on that website, you have to look carefully :)

I used a flat head screw driver and careful force to crack her in two. It was scary when she'd pop and creak and crack as you split her in two.

Have a zip lock bag to hand to put the parts in and there is a teeny tiny spring so watch out for that it is something that could easily get lost. I actually forgot to put the spring in when I reassembled her, so had to break her in two again.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Nice big fat cheat is to use a weft of hair to replace the mane and tail. I made my own weft as I wanted to use nylon I dyed, but a weft in blonde would be a very good replacement.

Love pkw xxx

RedBubble Etsy Instagram Facebook

Get 10% off your order from my Etsy shop with the code MLPARENA10

Offline Twinkle-eye

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Magic Motion Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2022, 03:02:51 AM »
Holy cow! That looks amazing! Is she made of hard or soft plastic? Did you airbrush her?

Offline Kazzellin

• MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2022, 06:08:00 AM »

Nice big fat cheat is to use a weft of hair to replace the mane and tail. I made my own weft as I wanted to use nylon I dyed, but a weft in blonde would be a very good replacement.

Love pkw xxx

Oh wow! She looks gorgeous! :enthralled:

By "weft," I assume you mean the entire hank of hair? :think:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal