collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Help with Ebay Shipping Problem - RESOLVED  (Read 1682 times)

Offline Catlein

• Pony of Law
  • Trade Count: (+59)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Canadian law student obsessed with MLP and MH :D
    • View Profile
Help with Ebay Shipping Problem - RESOLVED
« on: April 06, 2012, 11:07:28 AM »
Hello everyone,

I made a mistake in judgement the other night, and bid on a lot from France that didn't have exact shipping rates up. Unfortunately, I had found the auction at the last minute, so there was no time for the seller to get back to me. I assumed, however, that since I was dealing with tiny Ponyvilles that the shipping could not be worse than the full ponies that I have had shipped before.

Well, I woke up this morning (since the auction ended overnight) to a 23 euro shipping charge on a 5 euro lot... The seller says that this is because they will track them and require a signature upon arrival (but no insurance). I've emailed them to ask if there is a cheaper shipping option (that isn't worth 4X the price of the ponies), but is there anything else I can do?

Important lesson learned about Ebay.... D:

« Last Edit: April 07, 2012, 12:01:12 PM by Catlein »

Offline zzzova

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Help with Ebay Shipping Problem
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2012, 12:11:16 PM »
Wow.. that was quit a bit for the shipping  :shocked:
Hope that you can get a cheaper option!  :)

Offline ponylady

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2012, 01:17:29 PM »
I do hope they can offer a lower shipping rate for you.  But to be fair ebay has made it really hard on sellers if a package is sent International First Class. There is no protection, bottom line.  It is recommended that it is sent International Priority that way it is covered if a buyer claims it has not arrived or goes missing and that is the only way one is protected.  So your seller is not out of line she is probably just going by what is safe and recommended.

I know the temptation of bidding on a lot that is ending soon and is still low is tempting but I always make sure I know what my final costs are going to be.

I guess in the long run if she don't want to ship any other way then you can ask her to cancel the transaction and go from there.
:glitter:visitors can't see pics , please register or login
:glitter:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thanks LordBlumiere  :heart: for my Baby Believe!
I love Ohio Meat Pie

Offline Catlein

• Pony of Law
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2012, 01:37:10 PM »
I do hope they can offer a lower shipping rate for you.  But to be fair ebay has made it really hard on sellers if a package is sent International First Class. There is no protection, bottom line.  It is recommended that it is sent International Priority that way it is covered if a buyer claims it has not arrived or goes missing and that is the only way one is protected.  So your seller is not out of line she is probably just going by what is safe and recommended.

I know the temptation of bidding on a lot that is ending soon and is still low is tempting but I always make sure I know what my final costs are going to be.

I guess in the long run if she don't want to ship any other way then you can ask her to cancel the transaction and go from there.

Thanks for the comments! I made a rather newbie to Ebay mistake, and I don't want to put this seller through any undue suffering. I figured since they offered both cheap shipping and tracked shipping to some areas, that they would do so everywhere. Totally my bad. Too bad Ebay has gotten to this point of unsafety for sellers... :(

Hopefully I can get the shipping downgraded. Fingers crossed!

Offline NoDivision

• I am vengeance, I am the night!
  • Trade Count: (+67)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • No Division Customs
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2012, 01:42:45 PM »

This.

I honestly charge absurd international shipping prices on ebay, but it's the ONLY way to protect myself at all, so I have to do it. And I tell people that I will not lower them.

Offline Maniah

• This customizer is a proud pony hair licker!
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+74)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Little Custom Pony
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2012, 02:19:02 PM »
I put an auction up recently, and when I set my worldwide shipping options, first class wasn't even on the drop down list. It was priority only, or UPS or FedEx. Maybe it's because it was over 1 lb?

But yeah.. On ebay auctions, I wouldn't ship any way other than priority when going worldwide, because Ebay coddles buyers too much. I have to protect myself.

Best of luck. I hope you don't wind up with an unpaid item strike because of all this.

Offline Megans_Cousin

• Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2012, 02:46:26 PM »
I agree with everything that's been said here. It's sad but true that eBay forces the seller to take responsibility for missing/damaged packages even if the buyer chose the cheaper International shipping. It happened to me with a $50 something pony and I was very sad. Ebay basically blamed me for not forcing the buyer to take Priority International. Now, I make Priority mandatory for all buyers out of the US. It's quite costly, but it has tracking and a loss coverage, so it's totally worth it. That said, I hope you are able to work something out.

My flickr (lots of dolls!): http://www.flickr.com/photos/35518851@N07/

Online lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2012, 04:46:03 PM »
But to be fair ebay has made it really hard on sellers if a package is sent International First Class. There is no protection, bottom line.  It is recommended that it is sent International Priority that way it is covered if a buyer claims it has not arrived or goes missing and that is the only way one is protected.  So your seller is not out of line she is probably just going by what is safe and recommended.

This...  Would it be cheaper for you to buy an airline ticket to France and pick it up in person?  No... I bet the shipping is much cheaper than that!  ;)
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline ponylady

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2012, 05:15:30 PM »
But to be fair ebay has made it really hard on sellers if a package is sent International First Class. There is no protection, bottom line.  It is recommended that it is sent International Priority that way it is covered if a buyer claims it has not arrived or goes missing and that is the only way one is protected.  So your seller is not out of line she is probably just going by what is safe and recommended.

This...  Would it be cheaper for you to buy an airline ticket to France and pick it up in person?  No... I bet the shipping is much cheaper than that!  ;)
My point is the seller is probably charging her for Priority with tracking so she is covered by ebay ;)   

I am sure it can be shipped First Class cheaper but as far as I know from my experience International Priority is extremely expensive. 
:glitter:visitors can't see pics , please register or login
:glitter:

Thanks LordBlumiere  :heart: for my Baby Believe!
I love Ohio Meat Pie

Offline Catlein

• Pony of Law
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2012, 05:50:30 PM »

If only this was happening one month from now... then I could have someone pick them up! My timing obviously is not so great...

In any case, I have learned an important lessons on Ebay: Don't make assumptions! I completely understand why the seller would want to protect themselves. The next time I run into ambiguous shipping, I will clarify or not bid. Now I can only hope to either convince them to go with Laposte or cancel the transaction.

Offline Ringlets

• Mrs. Chief
  • Trade Count: (+182)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Be yourself, dare to dream!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2012, 06:05:25 PM »
Wouldnt flying to France and picking it up yourself be much more fun though?!   :lookround:
  On a more serious note- I think quite a lot of us have been tempted with last minute bidding and hoped for the best on shipping charges ;)    Unfortunately shipping rates vary a lot from country to country (some European countries have much higher shipping rates than others - for example France is higher than the UK at the moment) , then add to that the fact that ebay doesnt protect the seller unless they have tracking, and you run the risk of paying high :yikes: .
 Maybe the seller will understand and work with you on this since the value of the items is not too much,  or perhaps they will cancel the transaction.  In futute though it is always best to check shipping rates first even though an auction might be very tempting  :hug:

:heart: Wanted:heart:
:glitter: :heart: :glitter: CHIEF LOVES RINGLETS FOREVER :glitter: :heart: :glitter:

Offline RockinPrettyBeats

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2012, 09:23:53 AM »
Are you going to go through with the transaction or cancel?

Offline Catlein

• Pony of Law
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2012, 11:00:34 AM »
Are you going to go through with the transaction or cancel?

Seller and I are talking it out :) I didn't want to be one of the infamous NPB that get featured on this board!

Offline RockinPrettyBeats

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
Re: Help with Ebay Shipping Problem - RESOLVED
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2012, 08:23:06 AM »
lol, I wasn't accusing you of that. Best of luck though :-)

Offline Catlein

• Pony of Law
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Help with Ebay Shipping Problem - RESOLVED
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2012, 03:16:24 PM »
lol, I wasn't accusing you of that. Best of luck though :-)

Oh, I didn't think you were at all! Everyone has been so nice in the thread considering my noob mistake :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal