collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: MLP: The Movie Discussion Thread  (Read 30664 times)

Offline klein

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Target Exclusive Winter Pony
  • Dolls & Ponies oh my!
    • View Profile
    • Pullipsandjunk
Re: MLP: The Movie Discussion Thread
« Reply #120 on: October 05, 2017, 06:51:37 PM »
A couple of the local theaters were doing a 7pm preview showing tonight so we took the kiddo, we ended up being the only ones who went to the preview showing. Kiddo absolutely loved the movie and us grown ups were pretty pleased with it too though now I want to buy a bunch of MLP toys from the movie >_>

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: October 05, 2017, 08:21:23 PM »
A couple of the local theaters were doing a 7pm preview showing tonight so we took the kiddo, we ended up being the only ones who went to the preview showing. Kiddo absolutely loved the movie and us grown ups were pretty pleased with it too though now I want to buy a bunch of MLP toys from the movie >_>

Glad you had fun with kiddo. :)
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline MilkyTaroMochi

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Ivy is best pony. <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: October 05, 2017, 08:45:38 PM »
Got back from watching the movie. It was quite fun, and seemed like both kids and their parents enjoyed it too. I might try to see it again this weekend, so if that's the case, I'll try to see if another theater has the figures. :D

As far as any spoiler-y stuff:

Spoiler

- Is it bad that I "cared" more about the movie characters than the Mane 6? I wanted to see more of them, especially Captain Celano. She kinda got less screen time than Skystar and [especially] Capper. Speaking of, I demand more merchandise of Capper because he was quite enjoyable to watch.

- I didn't really care much for the Storm King. He was kinda "Oh i am really the main bag guy but I'll physically show up for like 10 minutes at the most at the end of the movie". In a way, I wish that Tempest was the main villain.

- As cliche as Tempest Shadow got at times, I felt quite bad for her the more I thought about her backstory. She just wants her horn back, and is still hurt that her friends left her when she needed them. I kinda wonder if she was having a mild panic/anxiety moment during the scene when Grubber told her he failed on getting the ponies (they fell down the waterfall). Plus, I like how you can see the "real" Tempest coming out a little when she is trying to ask the Storm King about her horn, especially once he had the magic staff thing.

- As far as the Mane 6 goes, I disliked how it was basically Twilight, Pinkie, and Rainbow Dash getting most of the "action". Rarity and Applejack got some attention too, but Fluttershy barely did anything by comparison. I did laugh at her little "therapy session" she had during the big fight (some parents in the audience laughed at that too). She should look into that as a career.

- They really should have done more with Grubber. I get he is the comic relief charatcer, but he pretty much dissapears at the near-end of the movie.  It's like the movie forgot about him. And wasted potential of not having him be like a sidekick/companion to Tempest (like how Spike is to Twilight) at the end of the movie. (Hard to explain in words).

- I was surprised at how "semi-dark" some of the movie is. It was sad to see the residents of Ponyville chained/muzzled like that.

- I still can't believe that Twilight thought it was a good idea to use her friends to distract the seaponies so she can steal the Pearl. And it was a stupid idea, too - did she seriously think that Queen Novo wouldn't have a security system for it?

- It bothered me how they had no problem showing cameos of other characters, but they couldn't even do a cameo for Sunset Shimmer as a pony? I know she is in EQG but gosh...

- Cute idea to have the end credits be a semi-epilogue/ the movie cast members are enjoying the party. Also liked how they went with the "storybook" look.
Thank you so much for the adoptable, Corona! :D

Offline TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Can buy, but cannot sell/trade
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #123 on: October 05, 2017, 09:34:46 PM »
Just got back! The theater I went to didn't have any of the special free stuff. :cry:

Anyway, I had a lot of fun. Skystar is such a cutie, I really need to buy her already!

well, spoilers!
Rest in Peace, Storm King (???? - 2017)

So my friends and I won't have much time to eat between when we get off work tomorrow and when the movie starts.  So I thought I'd make some cookies to share.  Then I thought of something else cute to add, and then something else, and then had another idea.... 

I made each of them a bag of themed snacks plus a baby seapony and a cup so I can share the big bucket of movie popcorn I'm going to buy.  I printed off little labels for each snack.  They are:  Twilight Sparkle's Friendship Popcorn, Rainbow Dash's Totally Awesome Rainbow Cookies, Fluttershy's Lil' Critter Nut Mix, Applejack's Country Striped Cheese, Rarity's Simply Divine Dark Chocolate Almonds, and Pinkie Pie's Funtastic Fruit Snacks.

Yeah, I may have gone a little overboard.....

Spoiler
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

That's so cute!
« Last Edit: October 05, 2017, 09:36:23 PM by TheBeatlesPkmnFan42 »

Snupps|MLP Discord server|Instagram

Offline StarDapple

• Scribbles Pony
  • Bah Weep Graaagnah Wheep Ni Ni Bong!
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: October 05, 2017, 09:54:55 PM »
I love your goodie stock Sunset!

I enjoyed the movie a lot. The bigger eyes took me a bit to get used to but I like the art style overall.

The only free stuff at my theatre was a certificate that said "My First Movie" that kids could write their names on. It has a picture of the cast and on the back of it was a colouring page.

Spoiler
I think I like Capper's song the best,
 but repeat viewings are needed to reach a final conclusion. Tempest' s Song is a close second.

I agree that the Storm King was kinda meh but I also think Tempest was a stronger villain by being the brains of the two. She really was the real antagonist.

I too wish the pirates had more to do. I was kind of hoping to hear more of their backstory and their relationship with the Storm King but I guess that would have slowed down the pacing.

For as much screentime as Rainbow Dash got, I really didn't mind her. I generally think she is overly rude and too overpowered, but I think she was more like the early seasons of Rainbow Dash which I appreciated.

I thought it was odd that there was no mention of the Elements of Harmony, but not a huge omission.

Love Tempest's true name!

This is all I can think of right now but I'm sure I'll come up with more after thinking it over. I will definitely be getting this on blu-ray when it comes out.

Offline Courtz

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Fakie!
  • Just a struggling artist
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: October 05, 2017, 10:13:25 PM »
I saw it tonight and I really liked it!

Spoiler
There were some really sweet parts!

I do wish that Rarity had more screen time.

Am I the only one that actually liked the Storm King? I plan on drawing him both in his current form and humanized.

I felt a personal connection with Tempest. I’m glad that she can finally enjoy friendship.

Offline orangepeachmango

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • Which one's Pink?
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: October 05, 2017, 10:17:36 PM »
i really really wanted to see it at a midnight showing but none of the theatres in my area were doing it ;_;
im so excited to go see it on saturday though, i will be sure to post my feelings then!

wishlist

Offline centaurette

• Captain Jack Pony
  • i'm preparing to shine... from the inside, out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: October 05, 2017, 11:44:07 PM »
my boyfriend and i just got back from the premiere, and it was SO! PRECIOUS! it was so good honestly, i went in not expecting much and i was blown away! i loved every single character, i want to go see it again and again! thank god my boyfriend manages a theatre, free unlimited pony movies!  :P

Offline TJgamer

• Colorswirl Pony
  • An open-minded adventurer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: October 06, 2017, 01:40:06 AM »
Just watched it too.
It was good.  :)  Not a masterpiece, but still an enjoyable watch.
I'm just glad we got a new 2D animated theatrical film for the first time in years.
Both the scope and animation of it all makes it stand out a little more from the typical two-part premieres and finales in the show.
They: You're too old to watch that show!
Me: Can't hear ya, I'm asleep.

Offline Minty_Magic

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: October 06, 2017, 02:01:02 AM »
I was able to catch a viewing of it tonight, and I was honestly really impressed. I genuinely think I might try to catch it a second time before it leaves theaters.

Spoiler
Other than the very beginning of the movie moving a little fast, I actually felt like everything moved along at a pretty good rate. I was worried that with all the new characters things would feel rushed to fit them all in, but over all I feel like they balanced everything out pretty well. I'm mostly disappointed Songbird didn't have a bigger part. I was 99% positive she was going to be like Zootopia's gazelle who got so much merchandise over actual important characters, but no real purpose in the film. Songbird ended up being the same way, I was kind of hoping she might play some sort of role in helping the plot but she didn't.

I really loved all the other new characters though. I think my favorites were Capper, Captain Celano, and Queen Novo. I'm kind of curious to know what happens to them after the movie ends, I think it would be fun if the comics did an epilogue series since they did a prequel series. I felt like there was still a lot that could be explored. Especially with Capper, that poor cat doesn't have to go back to Kludgetown after the credits roll does he? I also loved and felt for Tempest Shadow. Friends leaving you when things get rough with your life? Girl, I feel you. I kind of hope we see her again in the show or somewhere, we got very slight glimpses into her "real" personality, but ultimately we don't know much about her non villain side. I feel like she would fit in well with Starlight's group of ragtag ponies :P The Storm King himself was kind of a letdown, I was hoping he'd have a little more of a presence. He was enjoyable enough, but he really never felt very threatening, I'm not really sure how he managed to take over and destroy so many kingdoms without Tempest. She seems like the real brains behind the whole operation.

As far as our familiar Main 6 go, I felt like they were pretty fun to watch too, they didn't feel as zany and wacky as they've felt in later seasons. It was SO nice to see Twilight with some personality quirks again. I liked seeing her slowly get more and more irritated with everything as the adventure went on, it's nice to see that even though she's the princess of friendship, she's still not perfect at dealing with every aspect of it. Her trying to steal the pearl was really incredibly bold, I thought it was interesting that being beaten down by everyone they had met along the way drove her to the point of thinking outright theft was the best course of action rather than trying to talk things out. I kind of wish the other 5 had a little more of a role, it kind of felt like it was Twilight's movie at parts and they were just there for the ride. Especially Fluttershy, she never really got a chance to shine.

I thought the songs in the movie were fun and enjoyable. None of them felt too forced into the scenes and they sounded really professional with the real orchestra backing them up. I was happy with the animation more than anything else though. It was so amazing to see a 2D animated film in theaters again. Everything looked so fluid and all the expressions were done really really well. Some of the more 3D background objects like the ships and the windmill looked a little out of place in parts but I don't think it was too distracting. In my opinion it was a major step up from the 80's MLP movie, this animation looked like it belonged on the big screen. I was happy to see so much care was put into it.

I went with my mom and she even enjoyed it. Other than being really confused about Twilight being a princess (guess she hasn't seen any episodes in a few years :P) she said it was pretty easy to follow and a well crafted story. So hopefully even non pony fans can enjoy the movie!

My main complaint is that I didn't see any of the concession goodies at the theater i went to :( Does anyone know what theaters are carrying them? Will they be at major chains or more independent theaters? If I go a second time I want to try and go to a theater that has the souvenir stuff.

Thank you to Squarepeg for my avatar!

Offline StarSwirl05

• Pearlized G3 Prototype Pony
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • Njyugioh
« Reply #130 on: October 06, 2017, 04:46:31 AM »
Watched the movie yesterday. Was a bit better than I expected but not much better.

Offline centaurette

• Captain Jack Pony
  • i'm preparing to shine... from the inside, out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: October 06, 2017, 02:16:16 PM »
My main complaint is that I didn't see any of the concession goodies at the theater i went to :( Does anyone know what theaters are carrying them? Will they be at major chains or more independent theaters? If I go a second time I want to try and go to a theater that has the souvenir stuff.

yeah! i was so bummed i couldn't find any of the movie merch! rarity actually gets a super cute figure and i miss out on it! i'm definitely going to see this in theaters more than once, but i haven't been able to find ANY information on where to find these! i think it all just depends on the luck of the draw if your theater ordered them, but i don't want to pay inflated ebay prices for them! ugh!

Offline Kiwi

• Hippity Hoppity Site Admin
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • ~ Squeewi ~
    • View Profile
    • Kiwi's Paradise
« Reply #132 on: October 06, 2017, 07:45:36 PM »
We watched it tonight, and both really enjoyed it.

I loved some of the references thrown in, or things that seemed like throw-backs to G1:
Spoiler
The "spell" phone call, and the 90's modem dial-up sounds. HAHA! And the Hungry Hungry Hippos.

Capper calling Pinkie "Cotton Candy"

When they walked over the bridge and it was destroyed below them (so they fell into the water), so felt like Rescue at Midnight Castle.

And the top of Mt Aris, with the little cage house, felt like Flutter Valley.
 Kiwi ref sheet :bunny: *BUNNIES* :bunny: Avatar: Thank you SDS!

Offline Sunset

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: October 06, 2017, 08:22:23 PM »
Just got back and I really enjoyed it :). It wasn't perfect by any means but it was enjoyable.  I'll definitely be getting it on DVD when it comes out.

My theater also didn't have any of the movie merch. :(  Though they did have the little certificate that someone mentioned earlier.

Thought I'd share this little story.  I and another friend were really early and the theater was almost empty.  But there was an adult man sitting in the row in front of us and he turned around and commented on not being the only adult there without a child.  Turns out his daughter is a fan (didn't ask how old she was) and I kind of assumed from the story that they watch the show together?  Anyway, he had to be away from home for work and so couldn't be there to watch it with his daughter.  So they were both watching it in different theaters in different towns but at the same time so they could watch it "together ".  How cute is that!?

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #134 on: October 06, 2017, 10:28:33 PM »
Just got back from it.  I loved it! 

Spoiler
It was surprisingly intense (in a good way), not only in the "scary bad guy conflicts" but also emotional conflicts.  The animation was great,
 really beautiful.  A lot of the new locations (like the sea pony kingdom) had an epic, Tolkien-esque feel to them.  I loved the new characters--Capper, Princess Skystar, and the pirate parrots (especially their leader).

LOVED the songs, especially Tempest's villain song.

The Storm King was less scary than I expected--but Tempest Shadow was way MORE scary than I expected and got so much more screen time.  I love this edgelord pony!  She kind of reminded me of the Evil Queen from Snow White--angry, but quiet; intense.  And you know, I'm glad her horn wasn't magically healed by the staff or one of the princesses at the end. Because really, the problem was never "ohhhh, your horn sucks, gotta get that fixed", it was that she had bad 'friends' back in the day and then closed herself off.  (Also, I just like the idea of a unicorn with unfocused, uncontrollable power.)  I do wish we'd gotten to see what her cutie mark is.  Or does she even have one?  Did she never find her place?

Really liked Fluttershy talking with / comforting one of the scary guards near the end, lol.

There's one pony who appears in the beginning and at the end who I think is a homage to Wind Whistler, because she not only has the same colors (like, the SAME shade of blue) but also a similar hairstyle to her MLP & Friends version.  But I don't think her cutie mark is ever visible so maybe it's coincidence.

My roommate watched it with me--she is neither a 'brony' nor a collector but she catches the show from time to time--and she liked it too.

Thinking back to the trailers, I think something that stands out about the MLP movie is that it's SINCERE.  Sooo many Dreamworks and Sony kids movies are just fart jokes and sassy/snarky animals, set to a modern radio soundtrack.  THANK YOU to the makers of the MLP movie for having an original soundtrack and making something genuine instead of stringing together a series of cynical "the guys in marketing said the kids love this joke" moments.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal