collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: import tax and duty question  (Read 295 times)

Offline lindsayrose1985

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • So Soft Pony
    • View Profile
import tax and duty question
« on: July 09, 2014, 12:06:43 AM »
Hello
 Not sure if this is the correct place to ask this?

I've purchased a lot of ponies worth $60 (£36) in total including the shipping and was wondering if anyone knows roughly how much I will have to pay in import duty and tax for it to enter the uk?
I've purchased items from the USA on numerous occasions but I've never had to pay either tax or duty before as they've been relatively inexpensive item under the £15 limit or marked as gifts.
I just want to be prepared for when the postman comes as I'm very excited about my parcel arriving.
Thank you :)
 :frolic:
Hello, [you] i'm looking for so softs in need  of a little TLC :)

Offline shimmlight

• Saviour of all Cowkind
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Moo.
    • View Profile
Re: import tax and duty question
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2014, 12:33:21 AM »
I had an item of similar value come from the USA to the UK and it cost me about £11 in tax duties  :)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

:rainbow: Wantlist :rainbow: eBay Listings :rainbow: Arena Sales :rainbow:

hanamadoi

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2014, 03:35:59 AM »
As well as the tax duty, you're very likely to have to pay the "ransom fee" to Royal Mail/Parcel Force depending on who has your parcel and what speed it's coming. The last time I was ransomed by Parcel Force for express delivery (on a parcel from Korea marked $50) I had to pay £13.50 to PF as a handling fee on top of the customs charge, bringing it to almost £30. Their regular fee is £8 for non-express, and I think Royal Mail is a little under that.

You should get a letter from PF/RM saying you have a parcel waiting and you need to pay X amount, from my experience. You can then either go to your nearest PF depot or RM sorting office, pay your fee (do check with RM though, as my local office will not take debit/credit cards and I had to pay in cash, although this was a couple of years back). PF will also let you pay online and schedule a day for delivery of your parcel, it depends on how far away your depot is and how fast you want your ponies!

I'm afraid I don't have any experience of parcels coming from abroad through UPS, Fedex or any other courier where I got charged customs so I can't help with those.

I'm so sorry you got caught! It's pot luck, and I usually get caught for every US parcel I have. T__T I hope you get your ponies really soon. <3

Offline Ringlets

• Mrs. Chief
  • Trade Count: (+182)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Be yourself, dare to dream!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2014, 04:01:57 AM »
I had an item of similar value come from the USA to the UK and it cost me about £11 in tax duties  :)

I think this is about right , although it will ultimately depend on the value that the seller writes on the customs form and if its marked as a gift or not . There is also a handling fee from Royal mail (around £8.00 but that *may* be included in the £11 ish value - again depending on what you seller puts on the form). If the item is high value then they hold it at the main depots then send you a letter through the post stating the customs fees and the handling fees that need to be payed (this can take up to a week btw although its usually quicker) , then once you've payed they will deliver your parcel as usual , within 1-2 days. :awake:  If the parcel is not valued high then the parcel will go right to your local PO depot or sometimes actual PO in your area instead and a card will be pushed through your letterbox stating the amount you need to pay (this is faster - next day) and you have the option to go to the depot/Po where its located (it will tell you on  the card) to pay  and collect the parcel if you wish .
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

:heart: Wanted:heart:
:glitter: :heart: :glitter: CHIEF LOVES RINGLETS FOREVER :glitter: :heart: :glitter:

Offline lindsayrose1985

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • So Soft Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2014, 04:05:46 AM »
Thank you :)

I've not been caught yet with any tax or duty but I like to prepare "just in case" as the lot is still on its way :)
I have had lots that even though they've exceeded the limit have not been subject to taxes etc so I'm hoping this ones the same but this is the largest amount so far and thus have no experience with the import duty etc.

Hello, [you] i'm looking for so softs in need  of a little TLC :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal