collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Can I get some ebay shipping advice?  (Read 304 times)

Offline ButtercreamDream

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+99)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Can I get some ebay shipping advice?
« on: May 29, 2014, 11:39:49 AM »
Hey all,

I was interested in a pony on ebay, but the seller was shipping to the US.  I messaged them and asked if they would ship to canada, and they said "sure, no problem".  I placed my bid, and I won the auction, but after I placed it, the seller changed the shipping to the Global Shipping program.  I've used it once before, but they reboxed the parcel, and lost stuff.  The seller sent me a replacement, but never got any help from ebay, which sucks.  I also ended up with $25 in bogus import charges for a parcel that was well under the limit for what you have to pay import on.

I messaged them and asked if there are any other options, but she says she new to international shipping, and is not sure what method to go for.  She also said she is unable to change the listing now to not use the GSP.  She is trying to help though.

What shipping method to Canada would be appropriate for this?  Is there something with tracking that's not super expensive?  I think tracking is more for the seller than for me, but I think she should have it to protect herself.  Also, can I pay directly through paypal, or does it have to be through ebay? 

It's not the end of the world, but I'd like to avoid the GSP altogether if I can.

Offline flying_narwhal

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Etsy Store
Re: Can I get some ebay shipping advice?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2014, 12:22:27 PM »
Sorry to hear about your shipping confusion! The GSP is a good idea in theory since it makes international sales easier for those not familiar with shipping internationally, but from what I've read it doesn't seem to be implemented very well.  >_<

I think as long as you are patient, the best option for the seller would be First Class International. It is the USA's cheapest international rate and comes with a customs number that acts as "tracking". It is a bit iffy as delivery confirmation though (I've had it show "delivered" status updates in some countries but not others, just depends on their postal system). Should be anywhere between $9 to $15 for a normal sized pony (I am guessing the weight since I don't know exactly what you ordered or how they will package it). The main issue I have with First Class International is that it can be VERY slow at times, so you have to be sure the buyer won't open a case because it isn't there right away. Even going across the border to Canada could potentially take up to a month or a little more.

The next cheapest shipping option is Priority and it gets very expensive very quickly, so if the pony isn't super valuable it probably isn't worth it to use this method.

You can point your seller to this website to calculate the shipping costs:
http://ircalc.usps.com/?country=10054

I hope this helps some! I know others can probably shed more light on this as well. Good luck! :D
« Last Edit: May 29, 2014, 12:25:42 PM by flying_narwhal »

Offline ooizza

• Trade Count: (+82)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2014, 01:53:11 PM »
First class shipping is the cheapest option between the US and Canada that has tracking included. I've used it tons and the tracking always works. Even if you have some trouble initially with Canada Post having the tracking updated while your package is still in the US, go to USPS.com or download their app and you can track it that way too.

As for your seller, pass this info along to them and let them know that you are going to 'Request A Total'. This way they can circumvent the horrible GSP.

There's quite a long thread about the GSP that is worth the read.

http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,348904.msg1132546.html#msg1132546

Good luck!!

Offline ButtercreamDream

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2014, 03:18:05 PM »
Thanks everyone.  I'm fine with waiting for it to come in, and first class does seem like the way to go.  She said she hasn't been able to change the invoice through ebay, though. 

Does anyone know if it's possible to change it after the auction ends, or else to pay her personally through paypal?

Offline ooizza

• Trade Count: (+82)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2014, 03:59:31 PM »
I haven't used it recently, but if you view the completed auction under your 'Purchases' to the left of the listing it should read 'More Actions'. If you click on 'More Actions' one of the options that it brings up is 'Request a Total'. That way the seller can enter the shipping amount outside of the GSP so you don't have to pay the ridiculous import charges.

I seem to recall a more recent thread where someone was wondering if this process still worked, but I will have to see if they were successful or not as I can't remember  :blush:

Offline ButtercreamDream

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2014, 04:02:30 PM »
OK, I just went with first class and paid her directly through paypal.  Thanks for your help everyone =)

Offline Ringlets

• Mrs. Chief
  • Trade Count: (+182)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Be yourself, dare to dream!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2014, 04:55:47 AM »
:bigups:  I'm glad you managed to pay and also avoid the GSP  :)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

:heart: Wanted:heart:
:glitter: :heart: :glitter: CHIEF LOVES RINGLETS FOREVER :glitter: :heart: :glitter:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal