collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Frightening ebay purchase (non-pony)  (Read 944 times)

Offline Tulips

• Sweetie Pups Nut
  • Trade Count: (+65)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Tiptoe Through The Tulips
    • View Profile
Frightening ebay purchase (non-pony)
« on: December 30, 2013, 04:10:51 PM »
This is already resolved but I just wanted to share this experience as a warning... and because it's seriously just wtf.  :shocked:

I bought a novelty lighter off of ebay, the listing stated that it would be sent empty due to air mail regulations. I was expecting this, since it's illegal to send a lighter with fluid because that's obviously a hazardous item... so imagine my surprise when the first thing I do is show it off by striking it and it lights! According to my family my face was priceless. I was only ever planning on using the lighter as a prop and have since empty it.

The first thing I did was give the seller negative feedback and report them to ebay (who have responded saying they will investigate the matter. I doubt anything will come of it but I wasn't going to let the seller's negligent actions slide). What they did was incredibly dangerous, to send an item filled with a flammable liquid internationally via airmail, it just blows my mind! I am absolutely stumped at how it even made it past customs (Aussie customs really dropped the ball on that one!) and so thankful that nothing horrible happened, somebody could have easily been injured.

Within hours of the negative feedback the seller contacted me offering me a full refund if I changed my feedback to positive, and that they would leave good feedback in return, not on your life. I was not going to lie in my feedback, I'm amazed at their actions and audacity to try and extort positive feedback out of me. I did not contact them first about the matter because frankly I didn't want to hear them apologising and asking for 5 stars despite it all. Plus I'm happy with the item, just not how it got to me. I'm still sort of horrified that this even happened, what were they thinking?!

So yeah, I just wanted to share because this experience gave me quite the scare.
:glitter: ISO MIB SWEETIE PUP :glitter:
OLD ENGLISH SHEEPDOG

Sprintex

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Frightening ebay purchase (non-pony)
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2013, 04:27:36 PM »
Jeez! That is not good :shocked:

It's stupidity like that which can end up dropping a plane from the sky! Well done for sticking by your principles and not retracting your neg feedback  :nod:

Paul

Offline Stormness_1

• Pony Of Anarchy!
  • Trade Count: (+28)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • I'm not a magical unicorn, you know!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2013, 05:43:39 PM »
That's appalling, but somehow not surprising. Good on you for sticking to your guns - moronic the things some people do! Not to mention in most countries it's a federal criminal act!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Sig by Moonbreeze, avi by Sapphire Rain.

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2013, 11:44:38 PM »
I hope your negative feedback included the fact that they shipped the lighter with FLUID in it!  :(
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Shenanigans

• Trade Count: (+73)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2013, 02:12:03 AM »
Wow, that's scary :shocked: I wonder how they forgot to empty it? The neg feedback will remind him to always check his lighters before mailing them!
My Wish List

Offline partypony566

• Trade Count: (+197)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • Just because
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2013, 02:12:14 AM »
Good grief that's insane!
Thanks to SDS for my siggy and avi :heart:

please check out my Etsy shop Dollyhousevintage :heart:

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2013, 03:40:57 AM »
Wow, I was about to say "how dangerous could a tiny little lighter be?" but looked up on Snopes.com- and I guess they can be pretty dangerous!  (Couldn't find out anything about lighters exploding in the mail though)

A number of injuries have been caused by exploding disposable lighters, as well as, it appears, at least one death.

In 1985, 66-year-old Ethel L. Smith of Pennsylvania died from injuries sustained, it was asserted, when a Bic butane lighter exploded in her hands while she was using it to light her cigarette, and her estate sued Bic for $11 million. The disposition of the case is unknown. (Bic is known for resolving lawsuits against it out of court and, as part of the settlements, insisting the plaintiffs agree to refrain from discussing their cases. Information is thus very hard to come by about the lawsuits said to have been brought against Bic over the years, including whether plaintiffs were ultimately able to prove their loved ones had died as a result of what they'd claimed.)

Read more at http://www.snopes.com/horrors/techno/lighters.asp#k51XlLOEsvAGiGfi.99

Offline lindsayrose1985

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • So Soft Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2013, 04:51:56 AM »
Wow that's incredible it passed customs!
I work in a well known jewellers in the uk and we often send lighters for repair via mail or internal courier, it's common sense to empty the lighters before they are sent as they are a hazardous item, especially when sent via airmail all that heat, you are asking for trouble.
Hopefully the seller will learn from this experience and be thankful no one was hurt. :)
Hello, [you] i'm looking for so softs in need  of a little TLC :)

Offline Tulips

• Sweetie Pups Nut
  • Trade Count: (+65)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Tiptoe Through The Tulips
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2013, 06:34:41 PM »
I do hope the seller learns their lesson. I can't believe after they said in their listing that it was illegal to send a lighter with fluid that they actually did so! They have dozens of lighters listed, most novelty designs, I hope mine was just a fluke and this isn't a repeated action.
The package had the contents described as 'Toy Sample', but customs still should have been able to pick it out with x-ray or sniffer dogs.

This was my feedback, "Lighter was sent WITH FUEL after stating it would be empty. EXTREMELY DANGEROUS!"... I gave them fair star ratings and they seem to have dropped the matter, they were polite even if a bit obtuse asking me to lie in feedback. I'm never going to deal with them again that's for sure.
:glitter: ISO MIB SWEETIE PUP :glitter:
OLD ENGLISH SHEEPDOG

Offline MaronaPossessed

• The Good Troll on the Internet
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • ...Because the internet needs more of these
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2014, 12:02:17 AM »
You did the right thing sticking with the negative feedback.
G4 Blind Bag Extraordinaire

Offline ponylady

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2014, 04:38:16 AM »
 :crazy: Yikes, I hope they are more careful in the future.
:glitter:visitors can't see pics , please register or login
:glitter:

Thanks LordBlumiere  :heart: for my Baby Believe!
I love Ohio Meat Pie

gypsyunicorn

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2014, 11:17:22 AM »
Wow
I can't believe that gets through customs but ponies sometime dont

Offline SeashellnBubbles

• Trade Count: (+170)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Tears are the last refuge of the damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2014, 07:24:07 AM »
I'd send that message on to eBay...they can't use feedback as extortion to get you to change the facts!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal