collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Steven Universe anyone?  (Read 43947 times)

Offline otocolobus_manul

• Trade Count: (+68)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Hope shines eternal
    • View Profile
Re: Steven Universe anyone?
« Reply #270 on: September 27, 2015, 06:24:09 AM »
So the "clusters" we've seen aren't THE Cluster, which is much more powerful. I wonder if we'll see the big Cluster in the season finale?

Also, TINY PERIDOT TINY PERIDOT TINY PERIDOT OMG

Offline Snapdragon

• Trade Count: (+103)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: September 27, 2015, 11:47:45 AM »
^ Yep totally. Which is what I'm doing, because Peri is cute as heck!!
Seriously. I am still not over how tiny she is.

LOL!! She is pretty adorable!! She seems to be taking on a very Zim-like characteristic, I think? Like, she's SUPPOSED to be the villain, but she's too adorable to take seriously, so people just think her evil schemes are cute! But I never really went for Invader Zim, so that may be my problem. :lmao:
Commissions and sales are currently closed due to pandemic.~*~Sales!~*~Want List ~*~JAFFACAKE!

Offline Bekuno

• Starstruck
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Space Pony Enthusiast.
    • View Profile
    • Art Website
« Reply #272 on: September 27, 2015, 12:20:12 PM »
^ Yep totally. Which is what I'm doing, because Peri is cute as heck!!
Seriously. I am still not over how tiny she is.

LOL!! She is pretty adorable!! She seems to be taking on a very Zim-like characteristic, I think? Like, she's SUPPOSED to be the villain, but she's too adorable to take seriously, so people just think her evil schemes are cute! But I never really went for Invader Zim, so that may be my problem. :lmao:

You're not the first to make this observation! Fun fact: creator Rebecca Sugar is a hugeeeee Invader Zim fan. Check out this little profile she had when she was 15! http://web.archive.org/web/20041204113213/http://www.auras.com/RRS/toldyou.html

Smol Peridot is Smol. I'm starting to like her more. I still can't wait to see Yellow Diamond. I've seen such cool interpretations of her and I just need to see her!!!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
Avatar was drawn by tumblr user Yomirs, sig by LordBlumiere and Sweetpop!  :heart:

Offline Strawberry Swirl

• Trade Count: (+40)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • #1 Rainbow Dash Kinnie
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: September 27, 2015, 02:27:46 PM »
Awww! I love it when successful cartoonists are just like us. Yep, I've already seen a couple of Invader Zim/SU parodies featuring Peri...
WishlistChecklistSalesPonysonaCommissions

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: September 28, 2015, 09:27:35 AM »
LOVE the new episodes!  I was starting to miss the GEM action but Catch and Release was super adorable-  I Love how Peridot fights without her armor, lol

I can't wait to see what happens next...

Offline Harmonie

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Crazy Woodwind Lady
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: September 28, 2015, 10:41:50 AM »
I took a plunge and decided to try this show again, and got caught up in ...a very short amount of time. I think I liked the episodes after episode 15 a lot better than the ones before, probably because everything started building up (whereas I thought it would follow more of an episodic format that most cartoons do). And then when I was getting excited for all of that buildup I was afraid they were going to pull a Sailor Moon and go back to episodic stuff making you wait for anything too exciting for a long time.

I know... Comparing to Sailor Moon is random. Just two shows I watched around the same time, that's all.  :silly:

I did find the Hospital episode a little off, though:

Spoiler
It's nice that Connie's mom has learned the truth, and has saw that maybe being so strict isn't the best form of parenting... But the whole setup to it was weird for me. Why was Connie's mom so casual with the ...cluster (is that what you call them?) as her patient? You'd think that would have been something completely foreign and scary to her, and not an average patient, as she was treating it.

With that, the storyline just could not feel natural to me at all.

|My Collection|

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: September 28, 2015, 10:46:15 AM »
I took a plunge and decided to try this show again, and got caught up in ...a very short amount of time. I think I liked the episodes after episode 15 a lot better than the ones before, probably because everything started building up (whereas I thought it would follow more of an episodic format that most cartoons do). And then when I was getting excited for all of that buildup I was afraid they were going to pull a Sailor Moon and go back to episodic stuff making you wait for anything too exciting for a long time.

I know... Comparing to Sailor Moon is random. Just two shows I watched around the same time, that's all.  :silly:

I did find the Hospital episode a little off, though:

Spoiler
It's nice that Connie's mom has learned the truth, and has saw that maybe being so strict isn't the best form of parenting... But the whole setup to it was weird for me. Why was Connie's mom so casual with the ...cluster (is that what you call them?) as her patient? You'd think that would have been something completely foreign and scary to her, and not an average patient, as she was treating it.

With that, the storyline just could not feel natural to me at all.

Yeah- I think the first few episodes actually make it hard to get "into" the show- but you realize later that the writers are really just setting the stage and probably have to dive right into character development since each episode is only 11 minutes long...(NO idea how they write such a good show in such small segments)

I agree that the storyline for the hospital and the issue you point to in particular- was not very credible/seemed like a stretch.  I still liked the episode but yeah, you'd think she'd be more freaked out.

THe only episode that I can say that I sincerely didn't like was the Uncle Grandpa one. Came right out of left field and I was not familiar with that cartoon (nor am I even slightly interested in finding out more after that episode- I did not like that guy...)

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #277 on: September 28, 2015, 11:39:53 AM »
The Uncle Grandpa episode is random and I skip it when I rewatch the show.  Other than that my least favorite episode is Garnet's World because it just seems like it's nothing but anime references.  I don't mind occasional anime references (like Steven's Pikachu-like action figure), but for that episode it felt like that's all there was.

It still had cute moments, though.  Way better than Uncle Grandpa.

"Catch and Release" sold me on Peridot, while before I was like "Eh, she's okay I guess."  (I actually don't like Invader Zim, so even if Peridot was inspired by Zim, she's far enough away from him that I like her, ha ha.  But partly the "gross" aesthetics of the Invader Zim show is what turned me off.)
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Twilight Pink

• TwinkieMomo
  • Trade Count: (+25)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Green Day
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: September 28, 2015, 11:45:49 AM »
I hate Uncle Grandpa, and was iffy about the crossover episode "Say Uncle", but I gave it a chance and actually liked it  :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: hat's off to me!!  :satisfied:
Oh no!
avi by kittywhiskers :kyo: .

Offline Harmonie

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Crazy Woodwind Lady
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: September 28, 2015, 12:26:33 PM »
"Catch and Release" sold me on Peridot, while before I was like "Eh, she's okay I guess."  (I actually don't like Invader Zim, so even if Peridot was inspired by Zim, she's far enough away from him that I like her, ha ha.  But partly the "gross" aesthetics of the Invader Zim show is what turned me off.)

Nice to know I'm not the only one who thinks that! I don't really think any higher of Invader Zim than the other 'gross' cartoons of the 90s.

I had no idea she was based off of him.

|My Collection|

Offline Rainbowrific Renia

• A Pony Lost in the Stars
  • Trade Count: (+40)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Crazy ferret lady!
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: September 28, 2015, 02:25:30 PM »
I hate Uncle Grandpa, and was iffy about the crossover episode "Say Uncle", but I gave it a chance and actually liked it  :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: hat's off to me!!  :satisfied:

Same here. I still have zero interest in Uncle Grandpa, but the crossover episode was really funny to me.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2015, 05:20:48 AM by MoonbeamStar »
Instagram / Want List

Offline Jordan

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: September 30, 2015, 09:18:30 AM »

Nice to know I'm not the only one who thinks that! I don't really think any higher of Invader Zim than the other 'gross' cartoons of the 90s.

I can definitely see that xD
Rebecca was a big Invader Zim fan, she even drew herself in the artstyle back when she was 15

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: September 30, 2015, 10:36:52 AM »

Rebecca Sugar is a Zim fan- she has never said that Peridot was inspired by Zim, that is just speculation. 

I haven't watched Zim, but I am not always a big fan of gross cartoons.  I liked Ren and Stimpy- but I couldn't watch Rick and Morty, too much barfing.  >_<

Oh and some more spam of sculptures by the same artist I mentioned earlier on- pretty epic I think!

« Last Edit: September 30, 2015, 10:40:00 AM by Galactica »

Offline RainbowRay

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
  • so very rainbow
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: October 06, 2015, 06:03:24 PM »
!!!
Anyone else seen this yet?
So ready to spend my money! please let the things come to the UK though