collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Purchasing rehairs  (Read 263 times)

Offline Gator

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
Purchasing rehairs
« on: May 13, 2023, 03:00:55 PM »
Depending on the value/rarity of the pony, how much does being re-haired affect the value?  I was bidding on a pony that may have been a rehair, but I was afraid to bid too much, so I stopped myself from bidding higher and didn’t get the pony.
There were other factors too why I reined myself in. After my purchase of Tales Clover, I really need to hold off on pony purchases for awhile to rebuild my spending/fun money.
And the pony I was bidding on, I had her once, but she’s either lost or was stolen as I can’t find her along with several other of my ponies.  I hate to have to purchase her again, especially since prices have gone up over the years.  Bleh 🙁
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
Re: Purchasing rehairs
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2023, 04:31:00 AM »
I've both bought and sold rehairs and the value/price didn't change too much. These were more expensive ponies too, $100+. I think if it's a more common one it might bring value down? And of course, if it's like Rapunzel I would think a rehair would affect the value.

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2023, 09:21:20 AM »
I think it's subjective. So long as the rehair is disclosed in the description then it depends a lot on what the buyer thinks and how much it matters to them if they have non-authentic hair.

For me it's a deal breaker, but there are quite a few people who don't mind at all. And the quality of the rehairing is also a factor - but mostly it's about how you as a collector feel about having a pony restored in that way.

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2023, 04:19:24 PM »
I think it would just really depend on the pony, the individual bidders, and how well-done the rehair was.  Like, is it good quality hair?  Is it the right color (if they were going for accuracy) or pleasant colors (if they were doing something original)?  Are the ends of the hair uneven?

Sorry for this non-answer answer, ha ha
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2023, 06:27:17 PM »
I love seeing rehairs and there are a few I’ve considered.  I think it depends on whether I have the pony or not.  If I do, then the rehair is a happy variation.  I prefer there is something about the rehair that signifies that it is one such as longer hair or the addition of another complimentary color.

For very expensive ponies, I’d rather it be all original, marks and haircuts.
Sig art by SquarePeg!

Offline Snapdragon

• Trade Count: (+103)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2023, 06:58:00 AM »
I agree with LadyMoondancer and brightberry - especially that mention about the rehair being obviously signified! Personally, if the rehair is on a wildly-expensive pony, then the price should come down, because part of what makes a rare pony expensive is it's condition, and a rehair means that it's no longer "stock," aka just as it came off the card. Alternatively, I feel like for a very common pony, that could bring the price up - because almost everyone has a Cotton Candy, but if she has floor-length rainbow ombre hair now, that makes her more exciting and more beautiful than her original, arguably.

I know you have to take the cost of the hair into account, but my take is, most people don't want to see a Cotton Candy rehaired with the identical hair as she had before; she's common, so it would be easier to just find an original-haired one to buy for cheaper. But if you give her rainbow hair, now she's a 'different' Cotton Candy, and she'd stand out next to the stock Cotton Candy on your shelf.

That's just my hot takes, though! I love rehairs, but I also love the alternate styled rehairs more, personally. Plus, we deserve more rainbow-haired ponies in the world! ;)
Commissions and sales are currently closed due to pandemic.~*~Sales!~*~Want List ~*~JAFFACAKE!

Offline Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2023, 08:45:28 AM »
I agree that I think it largely depends on the buyer and how much they're willing to pay/how much they like it. I think it's one of those things where one buyer might bid high for a nice (say) rainbow-rehaired Cotton Candy, another might just bid the same as they'd bid for a standard CC, and a third buyer would skip it entirely and look for a CC with original hair instead. It's pretty variable.

*disclaimer, I'm not interested in rehairs personally so I guess keep that in mind... but that's how I see it.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal