collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Things You Wish Hasbro Hadn't Done With FIM (TV Show or Toy Line)  (Read 13166 times)

Offline Lady Frostbite

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • Absolutely Abbeylicious!
    • View Profile
Re: Things You Wish Hasbro Hadn't Done With FIM (TV Show or Toy Line)
« Reply #30 on: August 05, 2017, 12:27:55 PM »

The Brony callouts and references are skin-crawling for me, especially with backgrounders or memes appearing as jokes. Who thought Big Lebowski was a good reference to include?!

To be fair, I don't think that was a brony reference - I think that it was more likely included by someone who was a fan of the movie.

No no, I meant as a general reference rather than a Brony specific one for something like Big Lebowski (poor grammer on my part!)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Signature image artwork done by the talented Starscout!
MLP Gameloft game friend code : 29c831

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 05, 2017, 12:34:24 PM »

The Brony callouts and references are skin-crawling for me, especially with backgrounders or memes appearing as jokes. Who thought Big Lebowski was a good reference to include?!

To be fair, I don't think that was a brony reference - I think that it was more likely included by someone who was a fan of the movie.

No no, I meant as a general reference rather than a Brony specific one for something like Big Lebowski (poor grammer on my part!)

To be fair, tons of cartoons constantly reference popular movies. The Godfather, The Matrix, Jurassic Park,  JAWS, Star Wars.

FiM isn't the first or last to do so.

Looney Tunes, Zootopia, Animaniacs, SpongeBob, Mega Man, Gumball have just to name a few.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2017, 12:36:17 PM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Luxrayx

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 05, 2017, 12:38:15 PM »
I don't have a problem with references as long as they stay in the background. Like, having Doctor Whooves put on a scarf and say "allons-y!" in Slice of life was dumb because it's not a joke, it's just a reference that adds nothing to the scene. But when it's not the point of the scene anyway like putting Doctor Whooves and Roseluck next to each other in the background, that's not a joke, but it doesn't need to be. It's just a reference for those who are looking for it, which I'm totally fine with.
Which is why I despise Sia pony, because the only point of the character is to be Sia pony. So if you don't know Sia or you're watching an international version of the movie, it's just completely pointless  :pout:

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2017, 01:34:08 PM »
I agree, the Changelings becoming colorful bugdeer really felt like the weakest writing of that season. Chrys had to be written like that so them turning on her would be more plausible and it was silly even for a show in which friendship cures everything.

Splitting them into two different hives sounds like a good idea that would have worked perfectly well.
I guess it didn't sit well with some viewers that a species was created that HAD to use others to eat. The ponies are vegetarians and I think so is Spike? Even though he really should cook Angel Bunny, but I digress.

The Changelings have technically been on a quest for survival and Chrys was acting like a good ruler, finding a perfect food source for them in the adored royals and their people. So in order to actually make her evil they had to give Changelings more options to feed and then have Chrysalis be a butt about it and not wanting to go the peaceful path because... this is FiM and we need to have an antagonist left for the next two-parter.

So now I just hope they will give her a few loyal subjects so she can stay the Alien Queen pony instead of Thorax's eventual bugdeer wife  >_<

Offline Majesty

• Metal Gear Solid Pony
  • Trade Count: (+35)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • G1 and G3 Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Things You Wish Hasbro Hadn\\\\\\\'t Done With FIM (TV Show or Toy Line)
« Reply #34 on: August 05, 2017, 01:34:57 PM »
I'm in the crowd that's been cool with Princess Twilight from the beginning, but I wish they'd postponed it a little. If the show's going to have 8+ seasons, ending the main character's character arc in season 3 hardly seems like the way to go :lookround:
In fact, it seems all of the mane 6 are done with their arcs at this point. I hope Starlight and Trixie get full main character privileges in season 8, with the mane 6 becoming side characters or something.
Also also replacing the Golden Oaks library with the crystal castle playset is just the worst! I'm all for changing the status quo, but the new castle is ugly. The library was a much better fit for Ponyville.

Ooh yes I agree.  The castle is ugly and I feel like the library could have been left in ponyville,
 because it was technically the town's library.  I mean, they could have taken away the things that made it look like a bedroom.  Maybe add some chairs and tables or research or just for reading.  Twilight's loft type bedroom could have been another reading nook.  Also, what's the deal with the castle of the two sisters (I think that's the name).  What was the point in having everyone restore the old castle if nobody uses it.
 That could have been Twilight's new castle.  Why do us adult viewers have to think of everything?!

Post Merge: August 05, 2017, 01:38:49 PM

In fact, it seems all of the mane 6 are done with their arcs at this point. I hope Starlight and Trixie get full main character privileges in season 8, with the mane 6 becoming side characters or something.

Agreed on all of the above. Starlight has issues that go far beyond any of the Six. It would be more interesting to do a spin-off and have her be the next Twilight. She already got the looks for it; pinks, purples and a unicorn - retailers like :P

Toy-wise I wish they would have made more collectible characters or at least make more toys out of the many ponies on the show.
We got some randos like that purple snob pony or Pursey Pink instead of speaking secondary characters like Treehugger, Hoity Toity or Gilda. And the nice Playful Ponies designs from the beginning never made it into the show. Like Feathermay or Dewdrop Dazzle. From both a fan and advertising stance it makes no sense to me. Don't keep your toys separate from your toy vehicle.

Another toy thing that irks me: butt ugly princesses. Sorry but the new princesses look like gum and lollipops. Their heads are so bulbous and misshapen, and Luna's still got the wrong color scheme. Never was a big fan of the old ones but now they look ridiculous. I don't wish my ponies to look starving. Even the giraffy G2s had more meat on their bones.

It's funny, but I actually assumed that Starlight would be the next Twilight.  I assumed she would take on an apprentice and teach someone about the lessons of having friends.  Otherwise what's the point in teaching Starlight all of these things if she doesn't pass them on eventually.

Post Merge: August 05, 2017, 01:41:37 PM

Alicorn which I consider an incorrect term since the true term for an alicorn is a unicorn's horn without the unicorn

FINALLY someone says it.

I'm so glad this irks someone else like it does me.  This wasn't a creative thing like Hasbro thinks.  The term has already been taken and used for something else.  I wish they had made up something.

Post Merge: August 05, 2017, 01:49:56 PM

Toys-I really dislike the G4.5 designs, with the exception of Twilight as a seapony and the Queen of the Seaponies. The baby seaponies have wall eyes! :(

FiM-I wish Daring Do remained a fictional character in the storyline, as opposed to being the author herself.

I feel like Twilight's transition to Princess was rushed and is still incomplete.

I wish the villains would stay villains. Friendship doesn't solve everything.

I also miss the letters to Princess Celestia. I think the storylines of the other characters would really shine through if those were continued.

I am not a fan of the CMCs cutie marks.

I feel that there needs to be less background emphasis--less in depth episodes about the background ponies, focus more on the relationships of the mane 6. How their friendships strengthen over time. This part of the plot is lacking...usually episodes focus on one pony at a time, which is great, but how they are all connected is not addressed well enough.

Equestria Girls tried really, really hard to be a cross between High School Musical and Harry Potter. It failed miserably. Not a fan of any of it.

The only thing I like about FiM are the songs. Those are fun. I think the first few seasons (1-4) did well and I am slowly getting back into season 7.

meh

I'm really sorry to keep quoting people, but I see a lot of great ideas.  I agree that I liked Daring Do as a fictional character and not the author herself.  I mean, I guess it was great for Rainbow Dash to actually be able to see her hero as something real, like something she could touch but she seemed to do just fine with reading the books and enjoying the adventures that way.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2017, 01:51:30 PM by Majesty »

Offline Lady Frostbite

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • Absolutely Abbeylicious!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 05, 2017, 01:54:53 PM »
I agree, the Changelings becoming colorful bugdeer really felt like the weakest writing of that season. Chrys had to be written like that so them turning on her would be more plausible and it was silly even for a show in which friendship cures everything.

Splitting them into two different hives sounds like a good idea that would have worked perfectly well.
I guess it didn't sit well with some viewers that a species was created that HAD to use others to eat. The ponies are vegetarians and I think so is Spike? Even though he really should cook Angel Bunny, but I digress.

The Changelings have technically been on a quest for survival and Chrys was acting like a good ruler, finding a perfect food source for them in the adored royals and their people. So in order to actually make her evil they had to give Changelings more options to feed and then have Chrysalis be a butt about it and not wanting to go the peaceful path because... this is FiM and we need to have an antagonist left for the next two-parter.

So now I just hope they will give her a few loyal subjects so she can stay the Alien Queen pony instead of Thorax's eventual bugdeer wife  >_<

Spike eats grass fine but seems to prefer gemstones. Off the top of my head I don't think he eats any meat and seems to be fine on a vegetarian diet, but then again, he might be eating something else when we're not looking. Fluttershy has been shown feeding animals appropriate foods (fish, worms) at times, gems are possibly his 'best' food.

It's almost like the screams vs. laughter from Monsters Inc.; there's no real reason not to use the better food source, apart from being a butt/not willing to change/some unknown reason we're not allowed to know. I honestly was waiting for Chrysalis to explain why she goes with one source over another; she seems like the kind of Queen that would go with the highest output for her trouble. If she simply didn't know this is part of their lifecycle ... Fear? Actually, it would be neat if the metamorphosis happens but suddenly their life is shortened or something. I know in the comics she is depicted as an abusive leader most of the time, which again I wasn't a fan of. I like the idea of a rular doing all they can to help their subjects ... and is still 'wrong' and 'evil' because of the way they do it or simply how that takes its toll on anyone who isn't her subject.

I don't know, I don't understand why they just have to keep 'removing' threats. Nothing is allowed to be a recurring danger; not a monster, not a villain, not even a place like Everfree. A villain who can shapeshift, steals your love, has a very large loyal army, and is doing so for a very good reason from her perspective? Perfect recurring danger fodder! If they had to do the metamorphosis thing, split the hive between those that simply can't feed traditionally (maybe bad at shapeshifting or something), and Chrysalis has to accept she can't help all of her people. She doesn't seem like the kind to tolerate frustration, that would be a neat idea. She wouldn't be HAPPY, but she'd accept that sometimes even her best efforts fail. The 'changed' Changlings might have to suffer not living in their hive with Chrysalis anymore, but at least they have each other, and some pony friends. Nothing would say they HAVE to rat out Chrysalis to the ponys when she gets up to something, nor that Chrysalis would have to talk to them about food (i.e. talking to you would tip you off, I'm not going to do that). I didn't like the fact she didn't see through her own Changling's disguises ... I'd make sure that, as Queen, no Changling could disguise themselves from her and no Changling would ever lose track of their Queen, even when perfectly disguised.

Signature image artwork done by the talented Starscout!
MLP Gameloft game friend code : 29c831

Offline Majesty

• Metal Gear Solid Pony
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • G1 and G3 Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 05, 2017, 01:56:35 PM »
You know I forgot to mention that Flurry Heart reminds me of Poof from Fairly Odd Parents.  Reason being, that high pitched giggle and the fact that the fairy baby causes chaos with their new powers and at first it was because they didn't know what they were doing and then they did it and became more chaos.

Offline orangepeachmango

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • Which one's Pink?
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 05, 2017, 02:07:19 PM »
You know I forgot to mention that Flurry Heart reminds me of Poof from Fairly Odd Parents.  Reason being, that high pitched giggle and the fact that the fairy baby causes chaos with their new powers and at first it was because they didn't know what they were doing and then they did it and became more chaos.

my friend had this same exact observation!! she doesnt talk, high pitched giggles, unexplainable power, ....purple....

wishlist

Offline MJNSEIFER

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Brony For All Ponies
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 05, 2017, 02:37:58 PM »
Got it, thanks for clarifying (I see people saying these references are for Bronies, and I assumed that's what you were doing).

I'm so glad this irks someone else like it does me.  This wasn't a creative thing like Hasbro thinks.  The term has already been taken and used for something else.  I wish they had made up something.
To be fair, there has been at least one other occurrence of "alicorn" being used as to describe a "Winged Unicorn" - I know it can mean a unicorn's horn and something from a unicorn's horn, but it has been used to describe a "Winged Unicorn" at least once before, that's most likely why they went with it.

I will confess to being a brony, but I assure you that the things you may not like about them do not apply to me, I mostly keep the fandom name due to nostaligia, but I do genuinely love MLP as a whole, not just FIM, and not just the popularity of FIM - I genuinely love the show (and all the others)

Offline invaderhorizongreen

• Trade Count: (+130)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 05, 2017, 02:43:47 PM »
I for one would be quite happy for more well real cloth clothing, I dislike the plastic as it can stain ponies. As well as how about more boy ponies, and nice brush able hair for them, or others that dont have to be in fashion style size.

Offline Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 05, 2017, 03:00:16 PM »
Which is why I despise Sia pony, because the only point of the character is to be Sia pony. So if you don't know Sia or you're watching an international version of the movie, it's just completely pointless  :pout:

-nodnod- This, exactly. Honestly, I have no idea who Sia is, I'd never heard of her before the cast list was released. Still haven't heard any of her stuff. XD It's just a weird thing that'll probably end up really dating the film.

Offline MJNSEIFER

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Brony For All Ponies
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 05, 2017, 03:20:28 PM »
I'd heard of her before the cast list, she's been going quite a while.  Also, it will not date the movie because not only has she been going before the show even started, references do not date anything in my opinion - they just add an extra layer of nostalgia to the subject in my opinion.
I will confess to being a brony, but I assure you that the things you may not like about them do not apply to me, I mostly keep the fandom name due to nostaligia, but I do genuinely love MLP as a whole, not just FIM, and not just the popularity of FIM - I genuinely love the show (and all the others)

Offline otocolobus_manul

• Trade Count: (+68)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Hope shines eternal
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 05, 2017, 03:31:18 PM »
Starlight Glimmer. Bargain bin Sunset Shimmer who gets WAY more attention, from fans and the show alike.

Moondancer. Ugh. Leave her in g1, please.

McFlurry. Eugh.

Making Daring Do real. WHY.

Juniper Montage. Worst villain, design is a ripoff of Gaia Everfree. Their hair is like EXACTLY the same color.

Naming it Seaquestria. I'm SO ANGRY about that. They seriously couldn't think of anything else? Why does every other country in the FIMverse have to be a derivative of Equestria?

Speaking of which, worldbuilding in general. The Crystal Empire being... a tiny town, and a part of Equestria at that (why... not just call it Crystal City.......). How unclear the status of other countries (changeling kingdom, zebra country, dragon lands, breezie realm) is. Really, the only thing that's explicitly stated to be an independent country is Griffonstone.

The buffaloes and yaks are horribly offensive, and I reject them as canon.

Timber Spruce. Why did you have to give SciTwi a male love interest after queerbaiting her so hard with Sunset? 

I'll add more as I think of em. As much as I love FIM, I have a lot to complain about, lol.
looking for this Calico Critters/Sylvanian Families coat rack!
New sales/trade thread: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,378291.0.html
Wishlist: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,360893.msg1319821.html#msg1319821

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 05, 2017, 04:04:06 PM »
Yeah, the buffalo = Native American thing was such a bad idea and it honestly baffles me when people say the quality of FiM has gone so downhill when this mess was in the very first season.

It made the Apple family into bad people and the overall message of sharing was ridiculous given the entire natives vs settlers metaphor.

Offline Majesty

• Metal Gear Solid Pony
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • G1 and G3 Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 05, 2017, 04:05:34 PM »
I know who Sia is, I've heard her music but I'm not a fan.  Apparently Hasbro thought she was awesome enough to have a pony version of her.  Honestly I think her whole hiding her face thing is stupid.
She has been seen without her wigs before through leaks and stuff.  Her thing was to be anonymous so that if people saw her on the street they wouldn't know it was her and she could be a normal person.

You know it's too bad that David Bowie passed away, because I feel like he could have been the one to have done a cameo in the movie instead of Sia.  He could have looked like Ziggy Stardust or something.  It would have been epic.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal